Print Story Dream Analysis probably sounds cooler in German
Help!
By 606 (Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 07:15:38 AM EST) dreams, analysis, insanity (all tags)
Analyze my dream.

This post is present in Sarcasmovision. When you see the symbol * * * it means the last sentence was said with sarcasm and accompanied eye-rolling and should not be taken seriously.

I was at university. Not the University of Calgary where I actually went to school but the university I attend on and off in my dreams. I've been there before. It's far more opulent than my real university. There's a natural history museum dating to the late 1800s on the east side of campus by the library. To the northeast is the engineering complex. The engineering complex is horribly run down, of course.

Refreshingly I wasn't in school for this dream. I was visiting the university for a film festival. I was booking it down a hallway as it was just after 10 AM and I was late for a film I wanted to see, an English dub of a French film based on the second half of a short story by George Orwell about fascism. I was really looking forward to the movie.

I got to the lecture hall where the film was being projected and found that it was pretty packed and the film had already started. I was let in anyway and I headed to the back of the room because that's where the available seats were. The chairs at the front were taken and a bunch of students had taken to sitting on the floor to watch the film. I found, right at the back of the room, a spot on top of a professor's desk that was curiously not taken. Just behind me was the projector and the DVD player playing the movie.

Sharing the desk with me were a bunch of ultra-hip art student girls (the type you typically find at English dubs of French films). After a minute or so the one on my right leaned over and put her head on my shoulder. Then she scooted closer towards me and leaned on me once again. I tell ya, this happens every time I go to a movie alone and it's really getting annoying. * * *

"This is really great," said the girl, looking at me through thin-rimmed unfashionable spectacles (curiously much like a pair I once owned). She was wearing a black sweater, and her hair was dyed black and unkempt. She put her arm around my waist. I hadn't the faintest idea what this girl was on about but I put my arm around her waist as well, then continued to watch the movie. On screen a thin, old man gestured wildly to a younger man and a woman in a grey trenchcoat sitting on a light orange couch. The scene was happening in a Victorian age mansion, falling apart, its wooden floor rotting and turning black with mildew, yet buffed to a perfect sheen. Covering over the decay of the declining age.

"This is really great, do you like movies?" asked the girl. I shushed her. "I'm here with my friends, they really seem to like this movie, what do you think of it?"

"Haven't seen it yet," I whispered to her, before shushing her again. The girl didn't want to shut up.

"What is that guy doing? I don't understand this. Look at the costumes, aren't they neat." She was talking at plain volume and likely annoying half the audience. I shushed her once again.

"You know," she said, "I really don't pay attention to movies."

"That's fine but I do." I told her gruffly, slid my hand from behind her and went to sit on the floor to watch in peace. The girl was shocked and angered by this and she started speaking angrily at her friends who by now were also telling her to shut up. I was trying to ignore her but I could tell she was agitated because, having talked to me, she had missed the content of the movie (not that she was paying attention). The volume of her complaints increased until finally, in frustration, she stopped the DVD player just behind her. The entire audience broke out in cries of "what the fuck?!" and a frazzled young festival organizer went to the back and attempted to advance the DVD to the place it was at but of course he couldn't seem to find the right spot...

Then I woke up.

In other news yesterday I bought tickets to a rave, a goldenrod yellow ringer t-shirt, and some olive green khakis.

Album recommendation of the moment Justice - Cross. thud thud thud thud thud thud. It's like Daft Punk but more so.

< For Posterity. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Dream Analysis probably sounds cooler in German | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
/me reminds herself by R343L (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 07:36:12 AM EST
To buy some daft punk. Oh and 606's recommendation.

And I don't have a clue what to say about your dream. Remarkably well-remembered.

What you need by 606 (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 12:26:23 PM EST
Yeah, you definitely need the Justice album and you also want the Alive 2007 live album by Daft Punk. That should get you dancing. Oh, and some Mstrkrft. They're from Canada!

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Also by 606 (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 12:30:13 PM EST
I do find my dreams have been rather vivid and cinematic as of late. I'm really diggin' them.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Poll should be multi-select by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 08:13:57 AM EST
and refer to desire to have sex with your sister too.

Freud wouldn't say that by 606 (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 12:27:24 PM EST
Freud would probably tell you your sister was just a mental stand-in for your mother.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
WIPO by joh3n (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 09:14:47 AM EST
Desire to watch your post-murdered zombie father have sex with your mother.

(It was the unkempt hair that tipped me off)

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

You screwed up that last poll option. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 09:21:12 AM EST
It should be ". . .and then have sex with your mother."

WIPO by riceowlguy (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 12:08:04 PM EST
Desire to have sex.  Period.

Which you probably didn't need a dream to tell you.

Ah, yes by 606 (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 12:28:37 PM EST
That's implied because I am a human male.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
You added an extra word on the end of that. by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 03:26:52 AM EST
and "human" is a lot more specific than you need to be.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Paraphrasing Descartes by 606 (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 12:52:10 PM EST
I think therefore I fuck.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Seems pretty clear to me. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 03:07:54 PM EST
I hope you went ahead and had that tuna salad for lunch.

Fuck! by 606 (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 07:41:23 PM EST
No, I didn't! What's going to happen now? What does the crystal ball say?

-----
imagine dancing banana here
ALL SIGNS POINT TO YES, by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 04:08:12 AM EST

WIPO by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 07:47:33 AM EST
Clearly you overlooked the unpleasant truth: You want to kill your father and have sex with your mother.

I don't bother trying to interpret my dreams any more. I'm just happy if don't wake up wanting to have an argument about something that didn't, in fact, actually happen.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

It's all here: by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 05:15:48 PM EST
"You know," she said, "I really don't pay attention to movies."

If your dream means anything it starts with that line. Probably you're partly concerned with the potential to create some social friction, but it sounds like more of an annoyance than anything else. That or the mom thing. It could go either way really.

I'm listening to Daft Punk right now, and I haven't been disappointed by musical recommendations here before, so I'll have to try your advice.

Chill out, snowflake.