Print Story On my 42nd birthday
Films
By georgeha (Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 06:19:35 AM EST) homebrew, evil tenants, bjork (all tags)
I shall drink honey lager homebrew

Plus, living up to stereotypes, Dancer in the Dark, Dark Water, To Rule the Waves, Follow me and Die, High Tide in Hawaii, Yes we have no haggis, High School Musical, Running out of time, so close, a frustrating day, it's like 70% of the world has been opened up to me and less.

Poll: Favorite Scottish influence?

I suppose because I grew up in the late 60's and early 70's, with Sealab and Jacque Costeau on the TV, I wanted to be a scuba diver exploring the ocean. Probably most kids my age did.

That dream started to fade away when my myopia became stronger, it's no fun to go underwater when you can't see beyond the length of your arm. I knew you could get dive masks with prescription lenses, but everything I read about them indicated they were very pricey. Way too much to spend on a whim.

Thanks to modern technology, you can buy prescription swim goggles now. I imagine they must mold a bunch of polycarbonate lenses at differing strengths, with no custom strengths they're very cheap. I bought these Tyr goggles from Amazon, only in -8.0 (my prescription is around -10 and -11), and I'm amazed, for under $20 I can now see while swimming. I tried them out in the Y pool, it's like 70% of the world is open to me again.

Aside from swimming with my new goggles, Tuesday was a frustrating day. In the morning I stopped at a big box hardware store on the way to work to get corner frames for eleven year old's audition project and a gift for my dad. Since I was there right after they opened, I had to take a roundabout route to get to the tools and avoid the morning team building cheerleading meeting the workers where having (I didn't feel like walking through the middle of it). Wouldn't you know, I got accosted by an old tenant. He was pleasant enough, talking about the houses he owns, but by the time I placed him, I couldn't think of a snappy comeback, like, "being a landlord is rough when your tenants trash the place with three dogs and stop paying rent" or "dang, I had hoped you died in a dwi".

The day got more frustrating, I went into the Dentists for a crown fitting, and the crown didn't fit. Nothing like wasting an hour in the dentists chair.

I should just accept there is no justice in this world. You're probably heard the story of the small isolated settlement in early America where the kids get really sick, and a young spunky girl is told the village isn't what it seems, and she has to leave it to find medicine? I'm not talking about the 2004 film The Village, but rather the 1996 young adult book Running out of Time, with nearly the same plot. If there was justice Margaret Haddix would have gotten millions from M Night. I suggested to eleven year old that she would like it, she likes Scott Westerfield's books.

Speaking of eleven year old, she's on the bubble for getting a academic scholarship to the small Catholic school. So close, yet no money. We're praying things will change.

I guess I'm a softie, but I think endangering a fix year old is a cheap way to build suspense in a horror film. I don't mind promiscuous teens getting it in slasher films (maybe because I'd have been one of the dorky virtuous ones that survived for the sequel), but the parts of Dark Water where the little kid was being menaced were darn disturbing. It's yet another remake of a Japanese horror film with lots of mood, lots of dripping disgusting water, not much gore, and lots of sadness. I did learn about Roosevelt Island, a small island off Manhattan where most of the action takes place.

The kids took High School Musical out the library. My high school was not very much like that.

Reno 911, the sitcom, is one of our guilty pleasures, it's stupid, not politically correct, with lots of physical comedy. It's good in small doses, translated to the screen it gets tiresome. I suppose it's like the eccentric person you see on the street, amusing for a little while, but no one you want to spend a night with.

In other movie news, we watched about half of Dancer in the Dark,  with Bjork as a slowly going blind factory worker, with some surrealistic dance numbers thrown in. It was odd, and long, and I don't think we're going to finish it.

In other unfinished media news, I had to return an unfinished book to the library (it was new, I couldn't renew), To Rule the Waves, how the British Navy shaped the modern world. I got up to the American War of Independence, to read that Americans were criminal smugglers who should have been glad to remain Englishman. I found a few other sentences that revealed other instances of inadequate proofreading. It was interesting, I found out that recoiling cannon didn't happen until long after the Spanish Armada, back then you climbed over the side of the ship to swab and reload a cannon. It's on my to take out again list. I may check out his other book too, something about Scots being cheap and saving everything.

I did finish yet another book on the Hurtgen Forest, Follow Me and Die. The more I read, the more of a cluster it sounds like. Right up there with Iraq. The book did have lots of nice maps, with which I hope to make a Panzer Grenadier scenario.

We also finished another Magic Tree House book, High Tide in Hawaii, in which Jack gets so crazy, he Hula dances. Wow!

In stereotypical scandalous family news, one kinfolk is having marital troubles (growing up in a dysfunctional house with a closeted mom and an alcoholic dad surely helped), the other is working hard on living up to the stereotype of women raised by single moms. Mrs. Ha is bothered by the last item, she does like to borrow other people's trouble.

This weekend looks busy, and maybe fun. Mrs. Ha's sister is taking the girls overnight to take them to the Hannah Montana movie, our former neighbors invited us to a pre-Superbowl party on Saturday night. We're planning on lots of driving this weekend.

I missed Robbie Burns day by one day, though no one expressed any interest in haggis (good thing, I couldn't find any). I did have some Scotch in his honor (cheap Dewar's), I no longer have much of a taste for it. In better alcohol news, I got a batch of honey lager going, it should be kegged and drinkable in time for my 42nd birthday.

< Thinly Veiled Segregation | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
On my 42nd birthday | 37 comments (37 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I see what your problem was ... by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 06:27:08 AM EST

... you watched Dark Water, when you meant to watch the much better Pirates of Dark Water. It's a common mistake.

As for Bjork and Dancer in the Dark ... I rather like it, though it's 'slow' early on; I find the ending damned fucking depressing and sad. I also like to think of David Morse as Jodie Foster's father in Contact, so whenever I see him in other roles, especially ones so counter to that in Contact, I'm a bit shocked, even though I know I shouldn't be.

If we had nothing to do all night by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 07:35:05 AM EST
we might have finished it, but movies over two hours long are hard to fit in.

WIPO by johnny (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 06:45:23 AM EST
My mom.

Followed by my grandmother.  Whose maiden name was, by the way, Sarah Connor.  Which perhaps makes my late Uncle John some kind of world-saving Terminator -terminator, I'm not sure.
Buy my books, dammit!

To life! by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 06:45:37 AM EST
...the universe... and everything.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

the 42nd isn't for three weeks by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 07:50:35 AM EST
which should be enough time for lager to lager.

42? You child. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #31 Sat Feb 02, 2008 at 04:33:10 PM EST
Talk to me when you reach a mature age like, you know, 43.

Beer featured heavily in my b-day as well, SWHTL and I took in a microbrewery Belgian beer festival - 15 beers from 10 breweries on tap, IIRC, and they had a tasters option - 4oz from each beer, so I did.

I vaguely remember that my birthday present was  sitting doing beer shots and blathering continuously while SWHTL nodded and smiled.

Actually, the meal was good too - they had a special belgian menu, so it was mussels for an appetizer, a salad that had a big lump of shredded rabbit on it, and an entree that was like a chili or casserole made with lamb sausage.

Quite tasty.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

Hah! by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #32 Sat Feb 02, 2008 at 05:28:35 PM EST
Talk to me when you reach 45.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

45? You? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #33 Sat Feb 02, 2008 at 05:31:34 PM EST
You don't look a day over 30.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
I used to hear that by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #37 Mon Feb 04, 2008 at 02:51:16 AM EST
Now it's "a day over 35."

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Give me a year and three weeks by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #36 Sun Feb 03, 2008 at 05:50:56 AM EST
and I'll let you know how 43 is.

Better than goggles by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 07:00:51 AM EST
As an ex -9.5/-10.0 mole myself, may I recommend LASIK as the solution to your viewing problems?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Can you paypal me the $2000 USD? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 07:04:06 AM EST
I'm a little short this decade.

I'm leery of surgery on my eyes messing with my previous eye surgery, too.

I figured it... by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 08:19:04 AM EST
...that I have saved that amount on glasses prescriptions over the years.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Maybe by 2011 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 08:22:07 AM EST
my planned medical and dental expenses will be enoug under $5000 that I can consider it.

but now youll never climb everest! by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 10:42:48 AM EST
Apparently LASIK inst cleared for extreme altitude as the cuts have a tendency to "open up" at extreme altitude. My old flat mate couldnt go back on jump status after he got his surgery.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
Gulp. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #34 Sat Feb 02, 2008 at 05:33:02 PM EST
Queue the mental image of peoples' eyeballs popping as they near the summit....

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
WIPO by Phage (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 07:47:10 AM EST
Tarmacadam

When I was 10 or so by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 08:11:00 AM EST
my parents bought me The Living Sea in hardcover. I still have it. Probably the oldest book I own that was bought new.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

One of my oldest hardcover books is about by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 09:13:36 AM EST
whaling, I should try to find it.

WIPO by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 08:17:45 AM EST
Irn Bru
Deep Fried Mars Bar

Och, scunnered by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 09:11:17 AM EST
I voted for Groundskeeper Willy.  I keep forgetting which one I am.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Groundskeep Willy is allowed to have sharpened by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 09:15:16 AM EST
pole arms and hooks, you're not.

Oh, and happy birthday by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #28 Sat Feb 02, 2008 at 06:55:54 AM EST
Farmgirl has advised me that the appropriate human protocols involve acknowledging the event.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
It's not for three weeks by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #30 Sat Feb 02, 2008 at 08:48:13 AM EST
and I'll settle for the traditional British protocols. which seems to involve lots of warm beer, some beatings, and sodomy.

(Comment Deleted) by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 10:50:08 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by LinDze

carriages by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 10:51:35 AM EST
thats odd about cannons. I could have sworn that rolling carriages were one of the key advantages the english had over the armada*. I thought it was the main reason for their increased rate of fire and accuracy. Leading to being able to fight an artillary duel instead of boarding actions.

*besides the fact that the armada was mostly caravelles, merchant ships, and hulks instead of fighting galleons.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

The English trained on gunnery a lot more by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 10:59:20 AM EST
that book says English cannon could fire about once an hour, Spanish once a day.

Have to remember by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 12:08:52 PM EST
Whilst you're right that the English had a better rate of fire, not one ship was sunk by gunfire IIRC.

About 6 were accidents or as a indirect result of English action including fire-ships, but most of the rest which sunk were due to bad conditions going round Scotland and Ireland.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
sure... by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 03:38:38 PM EST
but the important bit, which the gunnery enabled, was that the british were able to move away from traditional boarding actions where the superior spanish numbers would have overwhelmed them. all as i recall of course.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
Honey Lager by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 12:28:59 PM EST
Tell me how it is.  I've been doing a lot of homebrew recently, and was eyeing a honey lager as my next batch.

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

In the past it's been great by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 12:55:13 PM EST
almost tasting like barley champagne, pale yellow with a bright white head.

Michelob makes a honey lager that's close to it.

Happy bday. by Pasofol (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 05:58:54 PM EST

It's not for three weeks yet by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #26 Sat Feb 02, 2008 at 04:24:49 AM EST
I'm just getting the beer ready for it.

Happy bday in three weeks than. by Pasofol (2.00 / 0) #35 Sat Feb 02, 2008 at 09:09:09 PM EST
Sorry for skimming through the diary.
Happens at times when I have other things on my mind.

Happy Birthday OR, Your kids watched that slut? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Feb 01, 2008 at 10:13:52 PM EST
Such permissive parenting!

Who, Vanessa Hudgens? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #27 Sat Feb 02, 2008 at 04:26:45 AM EST
and the bday is three weeks away, it just takes that long to ferment the lager.

Yes, that Jezebel Trampy McTrampington. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #29 Sat Feb 02, 2008 at 08:08:25 AM EST

On my 42nd birthday | 37 comments (37 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback