Print Story Dude, I got stuff.
By nightflameblue (Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 09:10:35 AM EST) (all tags)
"That's what you get for reading Shakespear. Three hundred pages of bullshit and then he leaves you with a line like that."

Reading. Obama. Movies. Can I just not put any effort into it?

I've been doing some serious reading. Offline reading. Books and shit.

The romance novels Mrs. NFB has been feeding me have a singular ongoing theme. The main characters fall madly in love with each other, promise to never, ever leave each other, and then one of their parents writes an obviously fake note from one to the other saying it's over and they get furious with each other convinced they never meant anything to each other. Frankly, it's dumb enough on its own, but the fact that every main character buys it without question is beginning to make me think no romance novelist has EVER actually been in love.

But, whatever. I'm on the last one now and if I can get through it I can get back to reading books that don't piss me off entirely based on stupid premises.

I will say this, at least they're getting reactions from me. Better than certain other authors who, at best, inspire a, "man I wish I had that time back" reaction. Doesn't exactly inspire romantic notions when I want to personally strangle every main "romantic" character in these books though. I don't think this book exchange idea is working out with us. But, last one, and she's two books back to catch up to me, so meh.

BREAK

Obama has a new record. He's jumped ship before even taking office. Pretty special.

BIG BUSINESS MUST BE SAVED! IT CAN NOT BE ALLOWED TO FAIL, NO MATTER HOW INEPT IT MIGHT BE!

At least he's still putting the brave face on and saying they must be forced to restructure. Here's to looking forward to finding out how many millions each of the departing company heads will get as severance.

BREAK

Mrs. NFB and I watched Sleepy Hollow Saturday night. It was the first movie we went to with each other in the theater. Both of us, at that time, thought it was pretty lame. This Saturday when we watched it, we both really liked it. Also, we couldn't remember most of it. She asked why we both thought it was so bad the first time. I said, "because neither of us really had our mind on the movie at the time?"

"Pervert!"

"Yeah, I'm not the only one."

We also watched Mannequin, a classic if ever there was one. And Captivity - Jack Bauer's daughter getting kidnapped, connived, and otherwise controlled. Too bad the jacket description gave away the main plot twist. Damn movie summaries. Summaries and trailers should not give away the entire plot. Someone needs to learn this.

Of course, when they don't people accuse the movie of having no plot. Because, obviously, if the trailer has no plot. . . *COUGH*SPEED RACER*COUGH*

BREAK

I'm here. The boss is here. Yet I can't even get an email response from him on one of those, "let me know if I should do this work" type of things. So I've been just hanging here for about three hours, waiting to see if I should do it or not. I've tried asking him, and all he's got for me is, "let me look at the example first" all pissy, like I'm not giving him time to give it the ten second glance he needs to give it to say if it's what he wants or not.

Meh. Not my money the company's wasting paying me to sit here spinning my wheels. Despite the company's best efforts to convince me it IS my money.

Until it's in my wallet or bank account, no, it's not.

Onward and downward.

DIS CON NECT

< PS4 musing, part 2 (the controller) | I come from the land of the ice and snow >
Dude, I got stuff. | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I've probably mentioned Suzanne Brockman by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 09:15:14 AM EST
before, who writes romance novels with a SEAL or other special forces sort playing the male lead. The one I read was okay.

Yep. You mentioned it. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 09:38:34 AM EST
I'm hoping I'm never required to read another romance novel again. If I am, I've got this name written down in my "if I have to" list to bring up next time she suggests it.

OK, this isn't completely fair. The first one she had me read wasn't horrible. There the quasi-rape was because the male lead actually OWNED the underage girl in question at the time.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

I wouldn't count Gor books as romance by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 09:40:45 AM EST
Mrs. NFB sounds odd.

Yes, she's odd. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 09:54:39 AM EST
But this is the first of her oddities that has confused me.

Not odd at all... by dmg (1.00 / 1) #14 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 12:57:52 PM EST
It's just the usual evolutionary psychology BS that all men have to deal with...

In fact, you could probably write some very successful romantic novels, if you took Buss's book as a starting point, and had the Male lead use all the strategies of an alpha male, while allowing the female lead to get away with a certain amount of strategies.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Romance novels by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 09:25:42 AM EST
The only part of the genre with which I am familiar (apart from Anne McCaffrey - I think she fits there quite nicely) is Catherine Cookson. They may be summarised as follows:

Honourable poor girl falls for charms of rich, handsome cad, is ravished and disgraced. Time passes, cad reforms and rescues our heroine but not before she gives him a hard time for having been a cad to show his remorse is genuine. This is against a background of 'life in the north is harsh'.

The ones my wife favor: by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 09:36:48 AM EST
Across several authors, are all thus:

Underage girl quasi-raped by ruffian. Falls madly in love with him afterwards. They become bestest lovers evars! He gets a note from her parents saying she never cared for him, he believes it, treats her like shit. She has to make it up to him, even though she didn't do it. He treats her like shit for another three hundred pages. She turns up pregnant, he suddenly develops a brain, happily ever after.

I can only assume Mrs. NFB regrets I didn't rape her on our first date.

LOL by dmg (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 01:29:24 PM EST
I can only assume Mrs. NFB regrets I didn't rape her on our first date.

Don't joke about it! such fantasies are far from uncommon.

"A recent analysis of 20 studies over the last 30 years indicates that between 31% and 57% of women have rape fantasies, and these fantasies are frequent or preferred in 9% to 17% of women. Considering that many people are ashamed to report rape fantasies, these stats are most likely lowball figures."

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I'm not joking. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Dec 09, 2008 at 04:45:05 AM EST
This latest book has taken a strange twist, wherein the heroin, once falling in love with her captor, while being strong enough to lead a fleet of pirate ships on her own, seeing him injured is so shocked that she loses her memory, is sold into slavery, and then gets to live the "daddy pimp gonna marry me cause I'm the bestest whore evar."

Confusion, rising.

In her defense, Mrs. NFB did warn me that this book was pure filth.

I think John Norman's Gor book are exactly what by Imperial Mince (4.00 / 2) #17 Tue Dec 09, 2008 at 12:11:03 AM EST
your wife wants you to read.

This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
Jain Eyre wasn't quite like that by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 09:38:48 AM EST
No ravishing, just disgrace and it was the poor girl who turned out to be rich who saved the formerly handsome but severe cad who is now crippled.

Before that my only real exposure to the romance genre was a novel I picked up at the library as a teen. It involved some sort of love triangle where formerly poor girl pined after handsome rich cad while friend of cad pined after her. After some sort of murder plot, it turned out that handsome rich cad was jealous of her because he was really interested in his friend and just leading her on so as to find a circumstance expedient to her demise. No notes from parents were involved.

Cicero, The Republic
Wuv. Tru wuv. by marvin (4.00 / 3) #7 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 09:46:43 AM EST
I love my wife, but don't think our marriage could survive a book exchange.

There are a few areas our interests overlap, but not many, so if forced into a book exchange, I'd resort to the nuclear option. I'll read a romance novel right after she makes her way through something like this (good book, but the sequel sucked).

We do what we do for purposes of understanding. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 09:56:23 AM EST
And now that I see, I understand even less. But, we'll have done it, and that'll be that.

FWIW, I think she actually likes the novels I lent her. Though I doubt there's enough rape and ravishing in them.

I loved your first sentence by marvin (4.00 / 2) #10 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 10:00:58 AM EST
I tend to think of women as the ultimate black box. With a randomizer on the inputs and outputs, just to keep men guessing.

Sometimes. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 10:09:43 AM EST
Though Mrs. NFB makes more sense to me than any other woman I ever met. That means I get her about 5% of the time. Sometimes 10%, on a good week.

Women by dmg (1.00 / 1) #16 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 01:34:30 PM EST
Women are not complicated really, they just have a completely different way of looking at the world than men do. (to generalize)
The outputs of the black box are far less random than they seem at first sight. But to get to that point requires thinking like a woman, which is something men find very difficult.
Read some evolutionary psychology, and try behaving according to the theories - you will be astonished...

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
The sequel was a very different book by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 10:49:41 AM EST
Where the first was a straight techno-thriller, the second was more of a spy vs counter-spy type of book.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Read the first cover to cover by marvin (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 10:54:25 AM EST
Stopped before page 100 on Dark Sun and it has been collecting dust somewhere in my house ever since. When I was a teenager, I preferred Clancy over LeCarre too. Don't read either now.

Dude, I got stuff. | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback