Print Story PS4 musing, part 2 (the controller)
Games
By dark ally (Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 07:46:05 AM EST) Playstation, XBox, Wii, predictions (all tags)
This is part 2 of a series on my thoughts regarding the next game console from Sony, i.e. the Playstation 4.

I hereby release all rights to the following ideas.

If Sony makes the PS4 backwards compatible with the PS3, then I expect the DualShock 4 will be a kissing cousin to the DualShock 3.  (Much as the DualShock 2 had only minor differences from the DualShock.)

But if the PS4 is _not_ backwards compatible with the PS1/2/3. Then there’s no reason to keep the layout which has been hanging around since the PS1. Therefore the PS4 controller can take the best attributes from all controllers.

Start with the Xbox 360 controller face layout: left analog, left D-pad, right analog, right 4 buttons. This finally makes the right analog the primary input.  Keep the select/PS/start buttons from the Six Axis along with the click feature for the analog sticks.

Steal the analog+digital shoulder buttons from the Gamecube, but move the second digital shoulder buttons underneath where your middle finger would sit to be used as triggers.  I'd suggest stealing the headset jack from the Xbox 360, but Bluetooth headsets are cooler.

Skip the motion sensor unless it’s dirt cheap. It works for the Wii because each hand is separate (so one hand can provide motion input while the other remains steady for controller input), but I’m sticking with the wing grip style which works for the majority of games.

Upgrade the rumble so the left & right motors are independent, reversible, and variable speed.  Developers will have a field day improving the "immersion".

Evolution, not revolution.

< Mama said, son, how can you be happy when your brother way over in Vietnam | Dude, I got stuff. >
PS4 musing, part 2 (the controller) | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Rumble? by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 11:11:48 AM EST

It doesn't do that already? I think the original xbox controllers have all those features. Not sure about "reversible." Anyway, I kind of assumed it was standard. At least people are no longer calling it "force feedback."

Chill out, snowflake.

mistake on my part by dark ally (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 03:41:02 PM EST
I just re-read the wikipedia entry for DualShock and it looks like the two motors are independent & variable speed.  I previously misread it and thought one motor was light and the other heavy.

right the first time by dark ally (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Dec 09, 2008 at 03:22:54 AM EST
Found some pix of the inside of a DualShock, and it clearly has two motors with different sized weights.

Yeah, by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Dec 09, 2008 at 09:45:45 AM EST
the xbox controllers are like that too. I guy I know had a translucent one.

Me? I want a Wii remote with gyroscopic force-feedback.

Chill out, snowflake.

Missing Poll Option: by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 09, 2008 at 11:42:20 AM EST
  • Rosie

• ?Rosie? by dark ally (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 09:01:23 AM EST
    Sorry, I don't get the reference, unless you are referring to some variation on Mother Mary Palm and her five Sisters.