Print Story Holiday Preparations Bullet Point Diary
Travel
By TheophileEscargot (Sat Dec 06, 2008 at 07:15:39 AM EST) Consumerism, Travel (all tags)
Flying on Wednesday morning.

• Climate diversity of Athens, Istanbul and Manchester is a problem. BBC forecast has Athens between 9 and 20 C, sunny; Istanbul 4 to 16 C, rainy; Manchester -3 to 9C, drizzly.

Have bought a M&S combi-coat thing. with a waterproof outer layer and a detachable liner which can also be worn as a fleece. While it may not be exactly comfortable, at least it provides many different options for discomfort.

• Gphone camera is crap, so I bought a Canon Ixus 80. Ixi got recommended last time I asked about cameras, so I didn't ask again. Seems OK, apart from one annoyance where you need to take the battery out to charge it.

Surprisingly it seems easier to use than a cameraphone: seems a lot less prone to camera-shake.

The December flickr pics are taken with it, but doesn't make much difference at those picture sizes.

• Playing the annoying snail-race game where I wait to see if my 8GB SDHC card arrives from Amazon before I leave. It's currently £9.59, including delivery, from there.

What I would really like to do is walk into a physical shop and pay a moderate price premium, maybe another fiver on top, to get it into my hands right now.

Argos price: £48.89. Dixons was about the same.

This is why I am not crying a river for the frigging retailers and their "worst Christmas ever" and "wah wah wah the government should help us out" and "why oh why are our customers so reluctant to pay for our 400% markups."

• Oxford Street was pedestrianized. (Local M&S didn't have my size.) Still not fast progress, but makes it quite a bit easier to get around. Queues still pretty short, about the same as a normal Saturday, maybe a bit lighter.
  • Have trimmed my RSS list a bit. Casualties so far:
    1. Area Trace No Search
    2. Anthropology.net
    3. Boing Boing
    4. Burning our money
    5. Culture11
    6. naked capitalism
    7. Programming (reddit)
    8. Worse Than Failure
    9. Euronews
    10. Scientific American
    11. EurekAlert
    12. The Register
    That still leaves 123 though.
  • Have got my Euros at the wincing exchange rate: seems to be getting near parity. Ordered the Turkish Lira, picking them up Tuesday.
  • Still to do: Update [2008-12-7 16:53:19 by TheophileEscargot]:
    1. Wash moneybelts
    2. Return DVDs
    3. Buy Xmas presents
    4. Buy mini-shaving-foam (optional)
    5. Buy earplugs (optional, still have 2 pairs left)
  • What have I forgotten?
< I think I just lost my cell in the chair. | What is the Secular Right? >
Holiday Preparations Bullet Point Diary | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Pruning feeds by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Dec 06, 2008 at 07:49:42 AM EST
When they hit 200 red, I figure it is time.  I recently dropped Wired and Ars Technica.  Boing Boing is sitting at 194 unread.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Hmm, depends on the content by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Dec 06, 2008 at 08:51:12 AM EST
I have some high-volume feeds that I just zoom through by pressing N, only opening the interesting-looking ones. If I get behind, I just choose "mark all as read".
4Gbs are £8 at Morrissons by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Dec 06, 2008 at 09:15:42 AM EST
If that's any help. sandisk, not no name

Aha! by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Dec 06, 2008 at 09:20:20 AM EST
I've been shopping there lately, but never thought to look for memory cards. Thanks!
Memory, camera by Tonatiuh (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Dec 06, 2008 at 04:05:19 PM EST
http://www.memorybits.co.uk/ delivers very quickly and have everything under the Sun when it comes to flash memories.

That camera is great, but I would hit the manual mode fast, it has a nasty habit of overexposing pictures, specially outdoors.

King of Shaves oil by hulver (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Dec 07, 2008 at 05:50:13 AM EST
Good stuff. The bottle is tiny.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Never worked for me. by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Dec 07, 2008 at 02:42:19 PM EST
That shaving oil.

nor me by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 03:29:39 AM EST
Some people swear by it. It didn't help lubricate me at all and left my face oily. Make of that what you will.

Exactly my experience by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 04:52:46 AM EST
And even with a new blade, it kept dragging.

You missed required reading! by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #8 Sun Dec 07, 2008 at 02:43:08 PM EST
Das Kapital
Meine Kampf

;) Have a nice time away from it all, TE.

Canon Ixuses (there's a tricky plural) are great by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Dec 08, 2008 at 02:06:08 AM EST
But I managed to break mine by forgetting to switch it off before I put it in my pocket - the extended lens is very susceptible to pressure, and when it breaks it breaks for good.

The lack of camera shake is brilliant, even at night. I suspect it dicks around with the jpeg image itself in some way.

Erm be careful in Athens

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!