Print Story I'm sorry you've had such a boring, middle class upbringing,
Drugs
By georgeha (Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 05:52:21 AM EST) demented old people, cuckoo's nest, smartphone, thugs life (all tags)
your life in the city just isn't what the mass media portrays.

Plus, The Sweet Hereafter, Facebook at one week, mini-scaffolding, hooray for klonopin and less.

Poll: What Verizon cell phone should I get?

Twelve year old was put out that she had to waste most of a school day attending apresentation by the author of Bang!, a book that is supposed to appeal to the typical inner city school kid. Of course, twelve year old hasn't had the stereotypical city upbringing, she doesn't know anyone who's been murdered, there's been no reported violence on our street, or her friend's streets, or near our streets, her parents are married, her friends' parents are married, and we live a boring middle class upbringing. Maybe she'll be able to leverage that into white middle class guilt later in life, or a dangerous rep in college (I wonder how well she can talk ebonics). I explained to her that  had to read a few books in high school and junior high (The Pigman, A Separate Peace) that I just couldn't relate to, and doing stuff you didn't want to or particularly enjoy was great practice for getting a job.

We watched one movie in the last two weeks, The Sweet Hereafter. I found it dreamlike and haunting, much like the Virgin Suicides. I'm grateful my kids don't ride a bus that goes on steep icy roads with a deep lake nearby.

I want my week of vacation back, it wasn't really vacation. Mrs. Ha's anti-anxiety med is not working, she's very, very, very anxious, which made much of the week a time for consoling and comforting and general burn out. There's a lot of things that I wanted to do that I didn't.

Update, klonopin is the shiznitt.

I did get a chance to catch up with some high school friends, one was playing out Wednesday night, and I met another friend there (and also a previous teacher of twelve year old's). It was good to talk with old friends, and I enjoyed the idea of middle aged grey haired med waving cell phones arounds and discussing their health issues instead of rocking out. I also learned two pints of Arrogant Bastard are one pint too many.

Speaking of beer, I did get a batch of honey lager done Sunday, it's bubbling nicely in the basement. I need to make a northwest order, I'm thinking I can get soem maibock done over Christmas break, and let it lager all winter long.

Newspaper_girl came over before Thanksgiving and we made a big batch of sugar cutout cookies, so those are done. I also put some plastic up on various windows, to keep the heat in, and started dealing with my attic dormer (the one over the stairs, so the eaves are way up there). I couldn't find any mini-scaffolding that would fit, so I'm doing some temporary framing using exposed studs and the banister.

Saturday we went to Mrs. Ha's sister's house, and ended up seeing the whole family. First up was the nursing home, my mother-in-law in the dementia ward still has that crazy funny cruel sadistic abusive potentially lethal streak. When one of the patients asks is anyone has seen his wife (who may even be dead), she tells him she just saw her, walking out of the ward, with another man. She's also taken to turning off her roommates oxygen at night, it bothers her when she tries to sleep. I should get her the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest DVD. Yes, she's still got it.

After the nuthouse, we went to the sister's house, and was a mellow time, which I sorely needed. She's on facebook, as was a niece and nephew (and they've friended me, hah-hah).

There was a moment of schadenfreude on the way to Buffalo. The toll booths were backed up about a quarter mile back, veterans know to get over in the left lane, so I did. Some a-hole driving a Mercedes SUV pulled out in front of me to bypass the stopped traffic, because I like to leave a little space in front of me. The fool didn't have an EZ-Pass, so he still ended up waiting in a long line, while we just breezed through. Sucker.

Facebook, okay, I'm over 50 friends, and I've used it to set up playdates and the Saturday thing. It's just another social networking thing, I wish they would adopt the six degrees thing where you can see all your connnections at a glance. I'm also rarely on it during the week.

I'll be upgrading our cell phones (mine and Mrs. Ha's) soon, it's only a little more to get on twelve year old's Verizon plan. My inner geek is thinking a Centro would be cool, I only use my cell and text capabilities once or twice a day, but I have fond memories of my Palm III. Twelve year old wants to come to the Verizon store, but doesn't have much input, except that we can't all get matching purple Moto W755s. I'd like music, games, qwerty, long battery life, micro CD card and cheapness. I will get a corporate discount.

< Cookie Fun Challenge: Reminder | Last of the Steam-Powered Trains >
I'm sorry you've had such a boring, middle class upbringing, | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
My memory of Sarah Polley: by Clipper Ship (1.00 / 1) #1 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 05:55:20 AM EST
I'm walking down the hall at school and the hippy kid sitting on the floor wants me to understand that she is free-spirited and all I can think is "why is Anne of Green Gables or whatever a hippy?"

---------------

Destroy All Planets

I have never read Anne of Green Gables by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 06:43:21 AM EST
I thought about visiting PEI on our honeymoon, just to see if it really was warm enough to swim there, but it would have been much to far to drive there and back.

Arrogant Bastard by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 06:32:38 AM EST
I'm not a big fan of Arrogant Bastard, but I don't much care for oaked beers in general.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
I like the hops in it by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #3 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 06:35:10 AM EST
I see northwestern has a Phat Tyre Ale, I think I'll order that come ale season.

I dont think the regular bastard is oaked. by LinDze (4.00 / 2) #16 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 09:38:58 PM EST
The Oaked Arrogant Bastard is a special release, just like Double Bastard.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
Hmmm by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Dec 05, 2008 at 09:20:09 AM EST
Perhaps I am thinking of one of Rogue's beers then.  Haven't had Arrogant Bastard for a while.

Been drinking:

Capital Autumnal Fire
Spaten Optimator
Rogue Mocha Porter
Magic Hat Jinx
Homebrew Vanilla Carmel Cream Ale
Homebrew Saison
Homebrew Octoberfest

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
i've been drinking Labatts by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Dec 05, 2008 at 10:02:09 AM EST
in truth, their Brewmaster's Porter, Red Amber and Classic Lager are okay for their price point, which means they're better than Old Milwaukee or Gennessee.

your m-i-l by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 06:43:25 AM EST
how'd you end up still alive ?  She sounds very interesting.. I'm laughing at the "your <possibly dead> wife just left with another man" line.. That's classic.. As for turning off others O2, that's even better.. Amazed you never work up with a knife in the belly or something with her around ...

She lost a lot physically in the last two decades by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 06:49:16 AM EST
though I suffered bruised ribs after a wedding one night, she had to punctuate every statement with an elbow to the ribs, "right!" "oof".

Apparently she was at her best against preschool girls.

I am curious as to what happens if she causes her roommate's death, she's probably already insane and incompetent, maybe they just give her a private room.

Who voted for blackberry? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 06:57:14 AM EST
how much additional would a blackberry run to be useable? I don't intend to hook up an email to it.

Not me, that's for sure. by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 08:05:40 AM EST
Work issued me one for on-call use.  I hate it.  The keys are way too tiny for my adult fingers.   I hate having to use that little rolling wheel to make all my choices on the menu, I would rather have arrow buttons. I found the device setup to be needlessly convaluted.   Also, it is the only phone I ever used that can't ring and vibrate at the same time!  What year is this again???  You can make it ring. You can make it vibrate. You can make it vibrate up to three times then start ringing.  You cannot make the damn thing ring and vibrate at the same time.  Plus, the damn thing is huge and a pain in the rear to carry around. (I refuse to get one of those little utility-belt cases to clip on my belt)

Now, I have friends that love the blackberry.  Just not my thing, I guess.  I would putter around with one before paying money.  Alternately, I may just be a cranky old fart.

You're the WIPO guy then, eh? WIPO but no by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 08:07:57 AM EST
choice posted?

My dinky Nokia 1100 clips onto my belt, and I doubly secure it with a lanyard. The case is wearing away, so I've had to reinforce with a dark grey duct tape. I'm the epitome of dork style.

I'm one of the cheap-as-free choices. by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 08:20:57 AM EST
However, my next phone is going to be a either a tilt or a g1.  Nifty apps, ease of use.

Who the hell voted WIPO then by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 08:24:12 AM EST
without Writing In?

There should be a few free options, the Juke at least, maybe the W755.  Other phones I'll probably get 15% off.

Probably some intarwebs troll... by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 08:33:46 AM EST

glances at Clipper Ship

I did by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 09:09:32 AM EST
But only because it would be good for our economy. I've never actually used one myself.

Okay, once I get my bailout money by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 09:16:14 AM EST
I'll get a blackberry.

Thanks by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 09:18:55 AM EST
Our conservatives are stingy bastards and are holding off on giving corporations billions of bailout dollars.

Get the Crackberry!!! by Lady Jane (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 05:18:21 PM EST
I LOVE it.  Besides keeping me informed on e-mail, the fairly decent camera/video cam for a phone, and the best browser I've seen on a non-itouch phone, I LOVE the Google maps app.  Love that while trying to work my way through NYC I could open the Google maps app, type in where I wanted to be(either by category, name, or address), and get walking or transit directions.

I'm addicted.