Print Story on general fatigue
By clock (Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 06:19:36 AM EST) (all tags)
and colonel malaise.

so we went to oklahoma for turkey day.  it was a good time.  we stayed with stacky's cousin and his wife.  they were gracious hosts and we really need to remember to send a gift.  i was entirely entertained by the fine family and the friends that we met in dallas on the way back.  good people all around.

the biggest news while we were gone was that the dude decided to become fully bipedal.  without his normal surroundings he found it to his advantage to stand up and walk rather than crawl everywhere.  it seems to have stuck with him.  he's marching around all over the place.  this is especially nice as he is far slower on two feet than on four.  i can take my eye off of him for 10 seconds and he'll be relatively close to where he was when i blinked versus the constant monitoring required when he was crawling.  all of this is also easier on mommy as he can walk holding her hand instead of being carried everywhere.  go team the dude!

holidays.  whatever.

we got the dude a sleeping bag for "x-mas" and gave it to him yesterday.  we're planning on doing some camping soon.  it was really cute, according to stacky.  as soon as he saw it he knew what to do:  lay down and pretend to sleep.  awesome stuff.  hopefully we'll do some backpacking in the coming weeks so he can see what it's all about.

work.  whatever.

i'm back to some instrument building.  i had to pause my guitar building this past summer when it got too hot for me to stand outside in the garage.  for my birthday last month i got a new drill press.  i threw together a quick ukulele from a kit that i've had since before i moved to texas and i plan to use it as practice for my french polish technique.  i'm also assembling a flat-backed lute kit i've had for years as well.  i will test my binding and polishing skills with that one.  the guitar is moving not at all while i put these others in place.  it's nice to have projects that can be worked on in parallel.  i don't get much time but i make the most of what i've got.  except when i don't.

i need to get back to my album.  6 or so songs have been sitting for a while and i'm glad that they did.  i'll rework a couple of them and get some more put down.  i have one outstanding musical debt to littlestar that i will hopefully pay tonight and then i can start stealing more time for my "main" project...whatever the hell that is.  i love doing stuff.  especially stuff that entertains me.

speaking of entertainment, stacky has started sewing clothes for the dude.  her first foray was a pair of pants.  they are both awesome and cute!  next up:  matching shirt.  i'm excited to see the results.  i'm glad that she has found something to use her brain power on as she was feeling a bit bored.  we're a busy household these days...

we're getting psyched up to decorate the tree and build our yearly "we're so much cooler than you are" gingerbread house.  i love making that stuff.  tasty engineering.  there are some cookies to bake i'm sure but i can't decide which.  mostly i'm looking forward to some quiet time with my tiny family.

some strange thoughts the other day. my entire life has been spent away from "home" and that's starting to ache a little bit.  i went from state to state learning about people and things, taking it all in, but doing so as an outsider.  for some reason, it's really easy to feel like an outsider in texas when you're a kid from a college town in northeast ohio.  people talk differently.  they watch weird football games.  they eat vegetables i'd never heard of.  they have entirely different life experiences based in a weird way on latitude.  the air and light are different.  none of this is bad, it's just not where i'm from.  what makes it tougher is the fact that i haven't lived in my state of birth for almost 20 years making me an outsider in my hometown.  the twist of late is that this is my son's home.  when he talks about where he was born and raised, this will be it.  this place that still feels foreign to me on some level will be the most comfortable on earth for him (maybe).  my wife and my son define home for me now.  but there's a part of me that is homesick for a place that simply isn't there anymore.  life's funny.

< Happy Holidays. | PS4 musing, part 1 >
on general fatigue | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It'll become yours. by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 07:33:03 AM EST
I moved to where I am now when I was 29.  Recently I realized that I'd lived here longer than any one town when I was growing up.  It isn't where I am "from" I suppose, but it is more of a home town then anywhere else I've ever lived.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Home. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 07:40:09 AM EST
I found once we moved away from Fairmont I've never been home. When I was a teen my car was as home as I ever felt. In my early twenties, not even that worked. Late twenties, home was with my wife. And while that's still true, I've begun to feel yet another transition. Not away from her, but more with her in other places.

But home as a stable, solid place of existence? You're home when you're a kid. After that, it's all transitory. Fairmont is just a place of memories for me. Going back there doesn't feel like home now, it feels like flashbacks. Wisps of time and memory.

Seven by Phage (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 10:26:59 PM EST
Spot on.

Dude by duxup (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 08:03:28 AM EST
That story and no adorable walking photos / videos?  Oh man...

Anyway I was fortunate that shortly after moving away my family changed homes and the city there changed a great deal too.  Nothing quite felt like "home" anymore after that except eventually the new home.

____
All kidding aside by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 09:00:17 AM EST
Please define "french polish"

I assume that is a finishing technique used on guitars?  Something high gloss?

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
Euphemism by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 10:02:59 AM EST
For frottage.

Yes, well by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 10:19:50 AM EST
It would be, but I suspect that's not what he's getting at here.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
usually used on musical instruments... by clock (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 11:01:20 AM EST
...it's the finishing by shellac that is applied one coat at a time and is rubbed on (polished).  it has a warm, beautiful finish that makes the wood really stand out.  so to speak.

i said "wood."

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Ah, yes by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 03:53:35 PM EST
That's along the lines I was thinking.  Thanks.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
I live in the town I grew up in. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 09:18:31 AM EST
McLean VA. Being a native makes me a bit of a rarity. "Why I can remember when there were farms in Great Falls and we wore onions on our belts..."

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

in the whole time I was in NoVA by cam (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 10:19:36 AM EST
I only knew of three natives and one was from Winchester. Determining where the place that you rest your hat is difficult when you hop around. I move enough that I usually come to a new place devoid of history. It can be tough at times.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic
Home by theboz (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 10:16:37 AM EST
As someone who has lived all over the place and has family not just all over the U.S., but in other countries, I guess I've never had that concept of "home" that most people have.  As a result, I find ways to be comfortable in lots of places, as well as never completely comfortable anywhere, if that makes sense.  Also, I have a very negative opinion of Ohio based on my experiences there, and think it should join MNS' plans for Michigan (I think it's Michigan he would like to see turned into another great lake.)

So I guess I'm not really making a point, but instead of worrying about your "home" which feels alien to you now, you should just look for where you can live that your wife and son would also feel comfortable, and make the best of wherever you end up.  As much as I hated living in Oklahoma City, I think that if I had to live there again, things would be different because I feel more self-sufficient now with regards to feeling at home.

- - - - -
Houston is not my "home" by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 10:18:17 AM EST
I've just lived here for a long time.

It was weird for me to drive by my childhood home on the way back from OK....that place is still "home" to me, but I can't do anything more than drive by.

The clock is ticking - we'll be finding our new home before you know it.

"the clock is ticking" by Corky Sherwood (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Dec 03, 2008 at 05:15:21 PM EST
seriously, did you mean to write that?  :)

i know how you feel, clock.  whenever i go back to NJ and drive through my old town, i get nostalgic.  None of my family lives there anymore - over 20 years now - yet i still consider it "home."  My boyfriend grew up a town away from me and it's nice to revisit some of those places we know in our conversations.  It's like we get each other in a way no one else does because we grew up so close.  I've been in Maine for 8 year and it doesn't feel like "home", despite the fact I love living here. I think once I settle with my man and kids that might begin to feel like home.  They say it's where the heart is, and mine currently is in Boston.  *sigh*

on general fatigue | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback