Print Story omg cold front
By riceowlguy (Sat Dec 27, 2008 at 09:56:41 AM EST) (all tags)
Well, that was a new experience...

Today, I really experienced a cold front.  I'm out walking with Dad, it's about 75, cloudy and humid, and we're wearing t-shirts and shorts.  Then all of a sudden a wind kicks up...a cold wind, as if we were suddenly standing in front of a large open freezer.  And then five minutes later it's 55 degrees, pouring rain and windy as heck.  I've never experienced that rapid a temperature drop before...kind of amazing.

For about five minutes the rain was furious enough to cause the gutters to become rivers.  Unfortunately, Austin needs about two weeks of that before you could call the drought over.  Now it's blue skies and sun again...lovely for us, but not so much for the grass.

Yesterday we got our exercise doing four hours of manual labor emptying the compost bins, spreading the dirt out on a low spot in the yard where all the grass had died, and raking up leaves to put into the compost bins.  We still have about ten bags of leaves which won't fit in the bins; next year, maybe I'll buy my folks a chipper/shredder...and maybe someday somebody will invent a compost-bin-sized reactor for producing ethanol or methane or petroleum from yard waste.  Or we could feed it all into a wood gasifier.  Something.  I can dream.

Time to go make apple pie.

< Death and Destruction in the season of love. | Catching up >
omg cold front | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Leave the leaves by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Dec 27, 2008 at 11:33:08 AM EST
Bags of leaves will rot down nicely if you stash them in an out of the way corner, or in a month or so the ones in the bins will have packed down and you can top them up with the contents of the bags.

Good to know by blixco (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Dec 27, 2008 at 01:05:46 PM EST
that there is rain. Here in Cruces it snowed last night.  Very confusing weather.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
it rained here all yesterday by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Dec 28, 2008 at 06:13:04 AM EST
and then last night it froze and snowed. it's going to be really slippery out there today...

---------
Yikes. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Dec 28, 2008 at 08:27:29 PM EST
We had some snow in Las Cruces and a bunch in the mountains.  Went to white sands today and there was snow on the dunes. Strange to see white sands contrasted with white snow...

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Frost on my windshield this morning [nt] by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 03:55:43 AM EST

that would be weird by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 06:26:41 AM EST
we saw snow all over when were driving through Colorado this summer, after a thunderstorm, which was really awesome (except for the cars in the ditch).

but really, weird weather like that isn't totally unexpected.  We are, after all, the state given in the movie Dogma as "worse than hell".

---------
It is cold in Ingerland by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Dec 27, 2008 at 01:35:03 PM EST
That is all.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

I got that too... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Dec 29, 2008 at 06:21:08 AM EST
Saturday I walked in a store from a 70 degree muggy afternoon. I walked out 5 minutes later with a box of poptarts into a 50 degree wind and black rolling storm clouds. WTF, I say!

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

omg cold front | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback