Print Story I wish they all could be California girls.
By gzt (Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 06:21:57 AM EST) gzt, friggin' intense, mns was right (all tags)
This is your captain speaking. I successfully made the journey to the wedding. They slew the fatted calf and the peasants rejoiced. I successfully returned despite continuing adverse weather conditions. I could not have done it without my fine support staff.

Quite soon, I shall be married to The Sea unless somebody convinces me that it would be a bad idea.

I have nothing to do for the next few days. I may read Brothers K again. I looked at my notes: I read it last year at this time, too. Or maybe it was two years ago. I'm not about to look at the logs again.

Because I left work early on Friday, per the boss's instructions, I forgot to set an "out of office" message for this week. Oops. Fortunately, I don't think anybody is around to ask for anything from me that doesn't know I'm out.

Things are turning messy. I'm not impeccable, sometimes I do twist the knife or pour in some salt, but it doesn't help that other people take things in quite literally the worst possible way. There's no negotiating with terrorists. MNS is right. I am going to be more like MNS. Whatevs.

In a few more days, it'll be Christmas. Then I can drink again.

It was utterly friggin' cold yesterday morning. Like -5 F. And blizzard conditions. The brake warning light was on when I first started the car, but turned off in a couple minutes. I'll have to look at it, see if there's actually something to it or if the cold somehow did something about something. I do need to have the power steering looked at. When it's really really cold, for the first minute or so, it's all locked up. It also has a bit of a whine. I need to change the oil soon, so I'll peek at all of it.

I'm a bit passive aggressive, by some reports. Meh. I'll just write a diary on the internets about it.

Człowiek z marmuru. Wajda. I like the title more than the synopsis at the moment.

I've got to get out of here.

I'm now married to The Sea. For some reason, I can't seem to get that to show up on facebook feeds. I poked around with all the settings. Oh well. I mean, if you go through all this trouble to make a joke, you at least want it to show up somewhere, right?

< Caring is hard. | We have to give money to the charities we have and not the charities that we wish we had >
I wish they all could be California girls. | 13 comments (13 topical, 1 hidden) | Trackback
I had the perfect reponse by moonvine (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 07:03:13 AM EST
but  they took the video "California Shores" by the Dresden Dolls off of youtube. Dangit.

Thanks to you, now I too want to read the Brothers K!

The Dresden Dolls are on Roadrunner by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 07:46:18 AM EST
Roadrunner is a subsidiary of Warner Music Group. Warner is in the process of removing all its content from the GooTube.

Cicero, The Republic
Oh by moonvine (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 08:05:14 AM EST
Now I understand. Thanks! I thought it was because Roadrunner was upset about Amanda's non-anorexic belly fiasco.

While that may play a role. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 04:41:33 PM EST
There's also that the song is called "Shores of California" to take into account.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Your power steering fluid may need flushing by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 07:51:11 AM EST
It's just plain hydraulic fluid. If it has impurities in it, at low temperatures it may congeal. The same goes for transmission and brake fluid. Usually its the transmission fluid that goes bad as the heat tends to break it down far faster than brake fluid or power steering. You might have a small crack in the lines somewhere that is allowing impurities to get in. It'd be worthwhile checking the levels before taking any long trips.

Man do I miss my old seventies era Landcruiser that didn't have power assisted anything. That beast was fun to drive. OTOH, I don't miss driving a vehicle that gets 10mpg.

Cicero, The Republic
My car's got power assisted everything. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 09:20:35 AM EST
On one circuit. Impurities in the brakes means impurities in the suspension means impurities in the power steering. This means you don't get away with having impurities so you don't get them.

It's been a long time by garlic (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 08:03:46 AM EST
since I read the Brother's K. I should see about doing that again too. thanks for the idea.

Whenever I need to think about how I'm living by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 09:28:14 AM EST
I tend to read it whenever I need to think about how I'm living my life, you know? When it's pretty clear that something isn't working.

You can't set OOO from webmail? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 08:49:10 AM EST
Our outlook webmail lets us do that.

No webmail. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 09:13:43 AM EST
It's Lotus Notes, too.

How do you stay in touch with the home office by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 10:16:45 AM EST
when you're onsite at a customer's, doing risk pool stuff?

Well, that's not what I do. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Dec 22, 2008 at 10:58:41 AM EST
And all my clients are internal.