Print Story Well, that didn't go nearly as well as I thought it did
By lm (Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 02:56:05 PM EST) (all tags)
Unrelated to the title, biofilms are amazing things. Check out the pics at Bacteria World and Medscape

This morning I sent off my last term paper for the semester. Grades have aliready begun trickling in. A class I thought I was had done well in, on Aristotle's Politics, I got an average grade in. Grades for my hardest class haven't come back yet. But with the average grade in the class on the Politics, I think I've just screwed myself out of any possible scholarships for next year. Odds are increasing that I'll be headed back to the IT mines, slaving away filling the buckets with bits.

My analysis is that I hadn't properly registered the depth of the study of the subject matter required for graduate level work. And hence, I was overly confident and didn't spend enough time studying. Throw in a little bit of bigfishinsmallponditis, and I was quite unprepared for life in the sea. I can only blame myself. At this point, my graduate career is probably salvageable, provided I don't do even worse in the class I didn't do all that well in in my other two philosophy classes. But it certainly isn't a stellar start.

:: :: :: :: ::

Which came first, the large family or religion? I first saw this question posited in Policy Review, probably about two years ago. Which way the chain of causation flows is an interesting affair.

Tom Friedman makes 3 level headed suggestions for approaching three difficult problems: Detroit, Afghanistan and US Banks. The approach is the same in all three, don't confuse peripheral issues for what is really at the heart of the matter.

If I had noticed that Future Schlock was written by PJ O'Rourke, I'd not have read it. I haven't read anything by him that I've enjoyed since I was in high school and used to look forward to his pieces in Rolling Stone. But I found this bit comparing the old and new House of the Future attractions at Disney World to be interesting.

I love this response to the recent shoe hurling: No one should read anything more into it than what it was, which was an individual throwing a shoe. However, as these words came from the mouth of the official spokesman of the Secret Service, I can't help but think to myself, ``of course they would say that, they need to engage in full CYA mode.'' It's a shame that other folks aren't saying the same thing.

But to be fair, if the rumors of torture are true, this could be the incident to spark a whole new round of civil war. That would not be a good thing. I doubt it will spiral out of control that badly, but wars have been started over sillier things.

:: :: :: ::

In wine making news, I racked the raisin wine as it's been going about a month. The recipe I pulled suggested racking 1 month out and again at 6 months. I took a sample. It's an odd flavor, not unbecoming but not quite what I expected. It'll be interested to see how it ages.

I also started a new batch of white grape wine with a touch of berries. I think I'll stick to a first racking after one week and a second racking after a month as that seems to have done well with my first attempt at grape whine.

It kind of amazes me how long wine takes to mature.

:: :: ::

Travel plans for the holidays are locked in. When the wee ones come home from school on the 23rd, we'll be heading out for Ohio. We'll spend two nights in Dayton to attend the big Christmas Eve celebration with my extended family. (Four generations should be on board.) Christmas morning, we'll make the trek up to Toledo to spend time with the in-laws.

I'd wanted to get down to Cincy to attend Christmas day liturgy at our old parish. But it isn't going to happen. Neither will a lunch with some of my former cow-orkers.

:: ::

I spoke on the phone with a guy interested in managing the duplex we own back in Dayton as a rental. We'll see how that turns out. I suspect the rental market is good right now. But renting the house out worries me a bit. Well, that's not quite true. Renting the house out worries me a good deal more than a bit.

But with one call and one showing since the house has been on the market, what's a guy going to do?

I'm plumb out of things to write.

< Pancake Mold | I wonder what my Aura looks like? >
Well, that didn't go nearly as well as I thought it did | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Funny. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 03:09:19 PM EST

When I heard "pundits" speculating about "security lapses" of the Secret Service, my immediate thought was "oh boy, pundits talking about shit they don't know about", same as it always is on the news. Shoes clear metal detectors. Disallowing journalists from wearing shoes, on the off chance one of them might be a fucking moron prone to throwing shoes as "political speech", is retarded. Had anyone suggested the Secret Service not let anyone wear shoes, what would have been your response?

It also shows what a man Bush is. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 03:14:50 PM EST
He stood in front of that hostile audience without a bulletproof screen. Credit where credit's due.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I was more impressed by Malaki by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 03:23:18 PM EST

who didn't even flinch for the first shoe, then casually reached out to try to catch the second. Hard core, yo.

Agree completely. by ni (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 03:42:40 PM EST
That was my initial reaction to it: That man is badass.

Almost as if he was by dmg (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 05:43:14 PM EST
expecting it.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I'm kind of impressed by his reflexes by lm (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 03:39:50 PM EST
That first shoe was winged pretty fast. He ducked much more quickly than I probably would have.

Cicero, The Republic
Shoes by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 05:44:34 PM EST
They pay those guys to take bullets, not shoes. I'm sure the Secret Service guys in charge were watching and thinking "WTF!? A shoe! Good dodge, though!"
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
The shoe thing by duxup (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 04:20:38 PM EST
I'm with the secret service on this one.  If the dude was busy assembling a bomb or gun I'd be worried but he got thru security and all so that seems unlikely .   Dude tossed his shoes, funny stuff, not a big deal.  I hope the president got to keep the shoes.  I don't like the guy but it only seems fair.

____
They'd make an awesome exhibit at the W library by lm (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Dec 17, 2008 at 03:01:00 AM EST
I'd actually be tempted to visit if they put them on display.

Cicero, The Republic
grad school is a lot tougher by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Dec 16, 2008 at 05:08:25 PM EST
one day I'll go back to finish my MS.

Or not.

O'Rourke by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Dec 17, 2008 at 04:55:04 AM EST
I generally like his stuff, even when I disagree with it. His piece I referenced >here is a pretty good look at What The Republicans Did To Conservativism.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)