Print Story I always have to be Sharpay
Music
By georgeha (Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 07:00:16 AM EST) luther, Ohio, Verizon, pork pork pork (all tags)
never Gabriella.

Plus, No phone no phone I don't want to be alone, A voyage long and strange, the bitter woods, tree time, adventures in luthering, schweineschnitzel, back to Ohio and less.

Poll: Favorite Disney movie?

Seven year old has been revealing more mixed feelings about AF_girl. For instance, whenever they played High School Musical, seven year old had to be Sharpay, she could never be Gabriella (Which was reserved for AF_girl). I offered to let her be Gabriella, twelve year old be Sharpay, I'd be Brian and the dog would be Troy, but she didn't want to go for it. Oh well, I tried.

Saturday we got our tree. We got to the cut your own farm later than I wanted, in an attempt to go with the Porsches, but they got there about five minutes before we did, and we never saw them. Twelve year old and seven year old had differing ideas, and were at loggerheads, so twelve year old waited everyone out, until we were all cold and tired. Once again, I ended up cutting a tree with a dull saw in twilight, and we ended up being the last customers. Then again, $30 is hard to beat. We decorated the tree Sunday night.

No new phone yet, there was too much clothes shopping on Sunday to get a phone. At least twelve year old doesn't have to dress like a bum anymore, with torn jeans and old sneakers. Also on Sunday I fixed my old acoustic, one of the worm gears on a tuner was worn, so I couldn't tune the high E string. I ended up taking off all the strings to get behind the bridge to pop out the things holding the strings down, then restringing it with lighter strings. I also had to hot glue the nut back on. It's an old guitar, and now there's some buzzing going on down at the bridge. I did tune it to the usual tuning, I need to tune up seven year old's (thanks!) to the usual tuning and teach her, so she can get into School of the Arts.

In other School of the Arts news, the girl on our street who also rides the bus is in Theater Tech, too. She's in ninth grade.

I'm going to declare schweineschnitzel a recipe I no longer need to look up. I was looking for something to do with thin, boneless pork chops one day and found schweineschnitzel, tried it, and it's great.

Roughly

take a thin, boneless pork chop
pound even flatter
fill a bowl with flour and pepper
take each chop and cover in flour/pepper mixture
beat an egg
fill a bowl with bread crumbs
dredge chop through egg, then bread crumbs
put in fridge for an hour

to serve, fry up in a pan, a few minutes on side.

Serve with a lemon slice, lager, applesauce, potato pancakes, peirogies and a small central European country.

In media news, we watched no movies, but I did read and reread some books. The first was A voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World in which the author travels around North America and the Caribean visiting sites in early American colonization; the Viking settlements in Newfoundland, Columbus' trail in the Dominican Republican, Spanish and French sites in Florida, the south and southwest, Jamestown and ending up back in Plymouth (he mentioned Cartier in a paragraph, and never visited Quebec). You ended up learning more about what isn't known, and about the author than you expect, but it's an entertaining read for Thanksgiving trolling material. For instance, the anthropomorphized raccoon in Disney's Pocahontas didn't really exist.

The second book was a rereading of The Bitter Woods, my copy is falling apart. Just the thing to get one in the mood for winter.

It's looking like I'll be heading back to northern Ohio at the end of next week. I should get a free nights' stay at the hotel after this. I'll have to pack extra provisions, too, I-90 is whiteout land until April. My wife is a little upset about the upcoming trip, but it could be worse. It looks good and should help me stay off the layoff list (5% in January), and it's at the end of the week. Her work schedule is later on Friday than on Monday, so aside from bus confusion, it makes an easier morning.

In other wife work news, she got a free bottle of Cab-Merlot from the local winery. The only other person in her office who likes red wine is her doctor, who already has a full cellar, and they haven't been drinking red wine since his wife is nursing.

In other local news, Kodak has announced no pay raises or 401k matching for 2009. Like I said in the nickel advice blog, anyone still working at Kodak should not complain, their business model is dead.

I have trip planning to do, and an upgrade to test, if our build ever finishes.

< Very puzzled. | Out destroying the economy >
I always have to be Sharpay | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
wipo by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 07:06:14 AM EST
the one about the girl, yah, and her true love, you know, where he goes away or she disses him, but then they realize what it means, so it all works out in the end ?

Is that the one where the mom is dead? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 07:07:24 AM EST

WIPO by Phage (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 07:17:10 AM EST
The Jungle Book - for the music.

Does it star the short business kid from Hannah by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 07:25:13 AM EST
Montana?

I am grateful to be able to say by Phage (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 07:26:05 AM EST
Who ?

You should be grateful by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 07:29:06 AM EST

IAWTP by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 09:33:25 AM EST
Although Fantasia is great. Especially on the Big Screen.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

WIPO: Never Cry Wolf by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 07:48:41 AM EST
Best Disney flick ever.

Cicero, The Republic
Miley Cyrus wasn't even born then! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 07:50:15 AM EST
How can it be the best?

I would ask who Miley Cyrus is ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 07:53:35 AM EST
... but I have 11 and 15 year old daughters. I only wish I didn't know who Miley Cyrus is.

But now that its on my mind, I should make my daughter's sit down and watch Never Cry Wolf.

Cicero, The Republic
Disney's going to remake it with Zac Efrom by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 07:56:25 AM EST
as a cartoon, with cute animated wolves (voiced by Dylan and Cole Sprouse).

You sir are the devil. by MartiniPhilosopher (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 09:20:33 AM EST
And you need to stop giving them ideas.

WIPO: TRON by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 09:50:02 AM EST
Tell the kids it's full of amazing CGI effects.

As long as they don't google for TRON by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 09:53:20 AM EST
costumes.

I visted Disneyland in 1984 and 1996 by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 01:47:43 PM EST
and was rather grumpy that they removed the only two references to TRON in the place (one was naming the arcade "Floyd's" and the other was a quick movie background inside a tunnel in the transportation lines).

Wumpus

I think they really didn't have to rename the arcade.

Heh by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 04:53:53 PM EST
Tree by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 11:12:07 AM EST
the local nursery has a $35 rack, and that's where we pull our trees from.  They're not perfect, but who cares?  Xmas tress are dumb anyway.  Humbug.

but you don't get the ambience of trudging by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 11:18:46 AM EST
through a frozen tree farm, and bickering!

we don't get freezing here by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 11:22:59 AM EST
so what's the point in trying?

There's a tree farm not far from us, but they nickel-and-dime you to death.

plastic tree, cheap real wreath. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 08:52:30 PM EST
get the smell, for cheaper andless mess.

more mess by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Dec 12, 2008 at 04:40:21 AM EST
the only place we have to store a fake tree is the attic.  think melty mess.

I always have to be Sharpay | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback