Print Story Best Two Weeks Evar...
By Lady Jane (Tue Dec 09, 2008 at 07:46:23 PM EST) (all tags)
I'd write one of those witty intros with a teaser, but don't want to give away too much of the surprise ending...

I don’t know where to start.  There is always so much I want to share that I begin to write a diary and realize that I have a small novel that I never end up finishing…  So, I’ll narrow things down to the last two weeks!

Turkeyday

My family is psychotic, but I learned that I am the glue that holds them together.  I made a deal with Rizzo’s mom last year that I would spend Thanksgiving with them in Middle of Nowhere, Maine and in exchange would get him for Christmas with my folks.  Since I made other plans, both my sisters found excuses to celebrate elsewhere.  My mom, who loves Rizzo, called me screaming about this and how she would be all alone eating TV dinners.  Well, she convinced my poor father to join her, and they sat at home eating hot pockets, and she made sure that we all knew it.  She sure puts the “I” in Family.

Aside from that, it was spent in a quaint seaside town in Maine where I’ve found I can truly relax.  His mom and step-father are genuinely great people who are laid back and don’t seem to stress about much.  It was unusual to spend a holiday around a table where everyone was talking to everyone else and I didn’t have to watch my words in fear that something would set my mother off and she’d get in her car and peel out of the driveway.  And I was drinking the wine because it was good, not because I needed something to ease the pain we call “Mom”.  I hated to leave and even talked Rizzo into staying an extra day so I could avoid the ‘real world’ for one more day!

Work

I am almost done with my west-coast client.  Six more weeks and then I move on to mostly east coast venues.  I can not wait.  The more I travel the more I start to hate my job, which sucks because I haven’t really loved a job in a long time, and this one is almost perfect.  I just didn’t realize how hard the travel was.  The more I see of my home, the less I want to leave it, and the harder it becomes.

Travel

We recently went to New York.  It was amazing.

I had the best ‘slice’ of my life.  Truly.  I thought New Yorkers were a bit biased and never understood the big deal… well, let me tell you… if you haven’t had one, get off your ass right now and go to New York and get one.  It is worth it.  And if you can, find the little shop that exists halfway between the cool Apple Store outside FAO Schwartz and Grand Central Station that sells the Lasagna Pizza, and get a slice of that.  It was the second greatest part event of the trip.  And we went everywhere.  I can not believe that I can be in Chinatown, in the midst of Chinese people and signs and décor, being the only non-Asian person and cross the street to Little Italy and become the only non-Italian person, and be in the midst of Italian restaurants and shops and sounds.  It was surreal.  It was amazing.  I can’t wait to go back!

The Reason for the Trip

Rizzo took me to NYC for the tree lighting… or so he said.  Turns out that was just his excuse.  In fact, he had actually planned a trip that would fulfill the fantasies of most little girls, and give the belief and hope of romance and chivalry to future generations.

Knowing I had always wanted to dine there, he made dinner reservations at the Rainbow Grill.  We had an amazing dinner and an even better dessert.  The view was unreal and seemed to put us level with the Empire State Building.  We could just barely make out the Statue of Liberty.  The view, the dinner, it made for the perfect experience.  (But wait, there’s more.)  So as I sat there, thinking we should be looking for the check, Rizzo began speaking.  Saying the most beautiful things and creating this sensation in my chest like a million proverbial butterflies, fluttering their wings, wanting to burst forth with joy, making me realize that this moment could possibly be better in real life than in my fantasies.  And then, just like in the legend, he got down on one knee a produced a little box from his pocket.  Inside was the most beautiful ring, round, set in a white-gold, somewhat spiral setting, sized perfectly for my finger.  And he told me he wanted me for his wife.  It was perfect.  (But wait, still more.)  It was his mother’s ring, the ring his father had given to her, and she and Rizzo wanted me to have it.  I couldn’t be more honored.

The waitress took notice, as we sat there holding each other, that something had happened, and within moments she arrived with two Bilinis on the house.  The night was even more perfect than before, but he wasn’t done.  He attempted to take me to Dean & Delucca for hot cocoa (it was about a million degrees below zero) but they closed, literally as we were walking up to the door, and despite his best attempts and saddest puppy dog face, they were unrelenting.  So we began to walk and found ourselves staring into the window at Godiva where the goddess of chocolate was dipping beautiful looking strawberries into some amazing looking chocolaty goodness, and we partook.  And it was good.  (But wait, it gets better!)

Next, he whisked me into a cab and shortly we arrived in Central Park where we took a horse and carriage ride through the park.  It was the most amazing night of my life.

The next morning, the only morning we woke before 9 without an alarm clock, we rose at 7 with the same thought:  Today Show!  So we sprang out of bed, raced to get dressed and next thing we knew, there we stood, with a sign announcing our good fortune to the world.  There are rumors we were on, but we haven’t seen the tape yet.  Stay Tuned however as we will definitely appear on Christmas morning on a pre-recorded segment!!

And all that is just the highlights of a most amazing two weeks.  He’s alluded recently to an impending diary, so I will let him fill in more details, as I am off to bed with my dashing fiancé.

< The Show Goes On... | Eat Babe >
Best Two Weeks Evar... | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Awwwww by Phage (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Dec 09, 2008 at 10:37:24 PM EST
You crazy young things. Congratulations to you both !

Psycho families - just say no.

Thanks! by Lady Jane (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 09:00:20 AM EST
I try to say no... I try moving and changing my number, but they keep finding me!

-----------------------------------------
"Buttons aren't toys" -- Trillian
"he told me he wanted me for his wife." by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 12:25:49 AM EST
As a maid, a lover or for main course?

Congrats to you both!

I'm pretty sure it's all of the above. <n/t> by Lady Jane (4.00 / 2) #17 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 09:02:36 AM EST

-----------------------------------------
"Buttons aren't toys" -- Trillian
Well damn. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 01:18:35 AM EST
That's just...amazing. Awesome. Very, very cool.

Congrats!

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Wow by Phage (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 01:29:28 AM EST
Early start in the Blix household ?

I sometimes by blixco (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 02:38:31 AM EST
wake up at 3:00-ish because I can't breathe. Today was one of those days.  Sinusitis rocks!

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Nasty by Phage (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 03:01:52 AM EST
Would strong spirits help ?

Only if they're by blixco (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 03:37:13 AM EST
voodoo oriented.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
It was/is/will be amazing. Thanks! by Lady Jane (4.00 / 2) #18 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 09:03:54 AM EST

-----------------------------------------
"Buttons aren't toys" -- Trillian
Congrats by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 01:48:00 AM EST

Awww by ana (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 02:21:58 AM EST

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Being married is the most fun I've ever had by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 03:18:49 AM EST
 The most work, too, but al worth it. Congratulations.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

congrats! by clock (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 04:13:23 AM EST
A+ and hot damn!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

hooray! by misslake (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 05:27:00 AM EST
that is WONDERFUL!
congratulations

Congrats by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 05:59:09 AM EST
BadDoggie made it 2 days before announcing the baby, hope you can do better :)  Just kidding, I think it's great to see a bunch of engagement announcements here.

Thanks! I hope so too! by Lady Jane (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 09:08:57 AM EST
We're hoping to at least buy a house before making that announcement.  And I'm not sure I can pull off a house and a wedding in the same year!

-----------------------------------------
"Buttons aren't toys" -- Trillian
You do realize that by yicky yacky (4.00 / 3) #14 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 06:22:01 AM EST

Marriage is a pernicious fractal algorithm that, left to iterate for more than a few generations, will completely destroy society, I hope?

Oh you do. Cool. Congrats.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Thanks by rizzo (4.00 / 2) #15 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 08:22:10 AM EST
I'm psyched. :-D

But hey hey hey, I have no intentions of operating a capitalist marriage, more of a Bolivaran anarcho-syndicalist one.  Rather than black slithering evil greed, those fractal algorithms are seeded by Phi, which I think creates more innately free, fair and humane fractals that iterate wonderfully, and also make for gorgeous produce.

My account of these awe-inspiring events follows soonly...

Now I feel like a schlub... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 09:09:10 AM EST
I only proposed to my wife on my couch. :( And if I can stop being completely egocentric for a moment, Congrats and all that whatnot!

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

well... by clock (4.00 / 1) #21 Thu Dec 11, 2008 at 03:41:01 AM EST
...at least you proposed!  i didn't even do that!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin