Print Story God does not want me to know the Bible
Religion & Philosophy
By ucblockhead (Sat Nov 08, 2008 at 02:24:39 PM EST) (all tags)
And other travails.

Empty your mind of all thoughts.
Let your heart be at peace.
Watch the turmoil of beings,
but contemplate their return.

Each separate being in the universe
returns to the common source.
Returning to the source is serenity.

If you don't realize the source,
you stumble in confusion and sorrow.
When you realize where you come from,
you naturally become tolerant,
disinterested, amused,
kindhearted as a grandmother,
dignified as a king.
Immersed in the wonder of the Tao,
you can deal with whatever life brings you,
and when death comes, you are ready.

I think I've mentioned before that I've been reading through the KJV of the bible.  Well...not reading but listening to the audio book.  I've been working through this since August.  Each book takes about a week.  (Mostly my 20 minutes each way commute.  My other audio time is the gym, but working out to Leviticus just doesn't cut it.)

I'm in the middle of Kings 2.  Unfortunately, I dropped my iPod nano from three feet.  This appears to have killed it.  I'd be more angry, but this is likely the fifth time I've dropped it from that height.  It now does nothing.  Does not light up.  Does not play music.

My wife's response was "I guess I know what to get you for Christmas!", which scotches my plan of running out and replacing it right now.  I will attempt to use my phone for now, but it won't do audiobooks appropriately.  (It doesn't save bookmarks.)  So I guess no KJV for me until January.

I've also got "interesting" issues with a UPS.  When plugged in to an outlet in the den, it goes into its "no power" mode for second long intervals every minute or so.  It delivers power flawlessly during this, but it makes me nervous.  It does the same in another outlet in the room, but not in an outlet in the garage.  (Unless I got impatient.)

Making it all hard to diagnose (this has been going on for months) is that it sometimes goes days without doing anything.  The den and the garage were both built only a couple years ago so I hope the electrical is fine.

I have been using the free Crossover games and it certainly seems better than VMWare for that use case.  The only annoyance is its insistence of popping up all dialogs into the foreground.  Annoying when they are "Copying - Cancel" dialogs.

I've spent the last two hours thinking "Looks like rain.  I wish I'd cleaned the gutters.  I probably won't have time to do it now."  That's probably what I'll do until dinner.

The denial here is stunning.
< Tales from the Hospital | Freecycle fails it >
God does not want me to know the Bible | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I need freepstate accounts by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Nov 08, 2008 at 03:34:55 PM EST
to suggest that they just weren't socially conservative enough.

Gays and abortion aren't enough anymore, they need to come out against drinking, smoking, drug use, gambling, playing cards, dancing, rock music, profanity and working on the Sabbath.

you would want to check by dr k (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Nov 08, 2008 at 09:49:20 PM EST
the load on that circuit that the UPS doesn't like. Find which circuit breaker controls those two outlets and figure out what other outlets/lights are on that breaker, and how many watts they need. Theoretically you can get 1650 watts out of a 15 amp circuit, but if you are anywhere close to that you should move some lights around.

:| :| :| :| :|

Yeah, I looked at that. by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Nov 09, 2008 at 08:20:54 AM EST
It was still doing it when the only things on were a Mac Mini, a external hard drive and various components on standby.  Worst case, maybe 300 watts?

More suspicious is that after really timing it, I find that it goes through this cycle every 38 seconds.  So other there's some bizarre cyclical fluctuation on the line that nothing else notices, or its the UPS.  Odd thing is that it works fine for its intended purpose.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

one possible reason by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Nov 11, 2008 at 02:15:09 AM EST
(slight yerpian, as I don't really know how you guys do it over there) is that the distribution of power from three-phased to single phase is slightly out of wack (as in misaligned or out phase) which would result in variations in voltage at every node/anti-node.

However I've never heard of it being this minute, it's usually (over here anyway) more along the lines loose a phase and have 66% of voltage 100% of the time.

The grandparent seems to mention overloading the circuit, that wouldn't cause the UPS to falter; it would cause the fuse to blow. That's usually pretty easy to diagnose (provided you can do it in the dark) :-).

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Bible by ni (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Nov 09, 2008 at 07:44:05 AM EST
Been kind of half-hearted thinking of starting a Husi Bible Reading Group. One book a week. Unsure I have the time (or really, entirely sure I don't, and unsure whether that will stop me). It would be nice to have people reading different translations, or in your case, mediums.

that would by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Nov 09, 2008 at 11:52:18 AM EST
strongly remind me of a college class I took. writing papers on the letters of Paul is....interesting.

---------
Denial by duxup (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Nov 09, 2008 at 06:39:21 PM EST
all of John McCain's staffers smearing Sarah Palin

Do those people think that anyone will remember who those people are in any reasonable numbers in the future?  and those that do, what are they going to vote for a democrat?  Like the whole Hillary supporters threats not to vote for Obama, it is a non issue.

____