Print Story God Bless Barack Obama...
Politics
By atreides (Tue Nov 04, 2008 at 08:34:07 PM EST) (all tags)
...and God bless the United States.

The party was awesome. The flan was good, the company was good, the fireworks were awesome (if I do say so myself). My only regret is that almost every one of my predictions turned out wrong. Idaho stayed red, Hagen crushed Dole. McCain won Texas by about 10 points. The only things I don't know yet are Franken/Coleman and whether my guess of 380 was correct (I suspect it will be more like 360-370).

On the other hand, soon there will be no more talk of politics. This election is over. Stick a fork in it.

< CALLING ROGERBORG INFIDEL | Congrats to the middle class BLACK guy in a suit >
God Bless Barack Obama... | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
These are the best candidates we had? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Nov 04, 2008 at 09:03:35 PM EST
I want my President to have some executive experience, thanks.
I wish senators would stay out of the presidential races.

RON PAUL. -nt by chuckles (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Nov 04, 2008 at 09:38:04 PM EST

Fortune 500 executive experience by dr k (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Nov 04, 2008 at 09:40:44 PM EST
at a minimum.

:| :| :| :| :|

How about . . . by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Nov 04, 2008 at 09:59:39 PM EST
being the exec of the United Way, or some other not-for-profit? Something relatively non-evil?

The militant wing of the Salvation Army? -nt by chuckles (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Nov 04, 2008 at 10:13:48 PM EST

That would be the Peace Corps, I believe. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Nov 04, 2008 at 10:16:54 PM EST

MADD, actually <pedaNTic on> by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Nov 04, 2008 at 11:36:15 PM EST
Away! Away! with rum! by gum!

Wumpus

What? by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 04:51:41 AM EST
You've never met a non-profit CEO, have you?

Like Carly Fiorina? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 02:07:11 AM EST
no thanks

Not Best by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Nov 04, 2008 at 11:45:41 PM EST
Least Worst

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Meh. by blixco (4.00 / 2) #14 Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 05:28:04 AM EST
Executives aren't capable of much.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
They are capable of execuTING. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Nov 06, 2008 at 09:06:31 PM EST
That shit is funnier if you imagine Mitch Hedberg saying it.

Everything is funnier by blixco (4.00 / 2) #20 Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 03:17:05 AM EST
if you imagine Mitch saying it.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Get ready for the right-wing smears by theboz (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 03:31:37 AM EST
Remember the political conversations that took place during Clinton's presidency?  Well, now they're going to do similar things for Obama, but they'll also slap some racism on top of it, and make it worse.  Let's just hope that if Obama does cheat on his wife, it's with Jessica Alba or someone that nobody could fault him for.

- - - - -
sore losers by webwench (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 05:10:10 AM EST
They could learn a little from McCain's grace in defeat; McCain, when not being run by the religious wacko wing of his party, is an honorable man.

Getting more attention than you since 1998. Ya ya!

McCain's concession by dr k (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 09:29:14 AM EST
The way I heard it, McCain basically said Obama won the race by being black.

:| :| :| :| :|

It's obviously true by theboz (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 09:51:03 AM EST
Being black has so many advantages for people in this nation.  The police are more than willing to stop you to welcome you if whenever you drive through a nice neighborhood.  People working at stores pay special attention to you, to help you pay for everything you pick up in your hands.  Even the judicial system helps you, by making sure more black people have free room and board, free food, and lots of security guards around than they do for whites who may have done the same things.<p>
So yes, being black was an advantage for Obama, just like McCain said.  Just ignore those silly white supremacists that have vowed to kill him.

- - - - -
I didn't hear that by webwench (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 10:06:09 AM EST
at all.

Getting more attention than you since 1998. Ya ya!

ok... by dr k (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 10:28:23 AM EST
"This is an historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African-Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight."

"But we both recognize that, though we have come a long way from the old injustices that once stained our nation's reputation and denied some Americans the full blessings of American citizenship, the memory of them still had the power to wound."

"America today is a world away from the cruel and frightful bigotry of that time. There is no better evidence of this than the election of an African-American to the presidency of the United States."

It is strange that he makes these connections to the history of American slavery, yet Obama's father was a Kenyan national, he has no African-American slave heritage. So black Americans voted for him to vindicate their long struggle for equal rights? That would be a little misguided. Still, McCain wants to paint this as a victory for civil rights, not a victory based on the Democratic party platform or the repudiation of eight years of Republican rule.

:| :| :| :| :|

Have you seen by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Nov 05, 2008 at 04:21:27 AM EST
The Google Election Map?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

God Bless Barack Obama... | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback