Print Story new and stuff
By lm (Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 04:03:33 AM EST) (all tags)
Nothing here to see, please move along

Five questions about America this election may answer
  1. Is the "Reagan Revolution" over?
  2. Is America prepared to move beyond its racial divisions?
  3. Are young people becoming a driving force in American politics?
  4. How much do Americans care about their image in the world?
  5. What does it mean to be a conservative?
Four big questions of the presidential election
  1. Has America's racial divide narrowed?
  2. Is the country still divided into red and blue?
  3. Do Americans want more from government?
  4. Has the electorate changed dramatically?
The NY Times' Paul Krugman gets in on the act, What will defeat do to the Republicans?

Cars.com's 10 scariest features

You read correctly. Volvo's Personal Car Communicator monitors the cabin and pulses a light on your key fob if your car has an unexpected visitor inside.

The Washington Post has a great article on why the election isn't necessarily in the bag for Obama that focuses on my home state, Ohio.

Also in the WaPo, I found Study links TV Sex To Real Teen Pregnancies. They dropped the normal `correlation doesn't prove causation' bit in at the end where few will see it. But in this case, it seems intuitive to me. The more sex seems normative on TV, it would seem to me to be the case that the more sex will seem normative in real life. OTOH, I think parental supervision may be a huge factor in the mix, i.e., parents that don't allow their children to watch shows with sex are more likely to not allow situations where sex is an opportunity for their children.

Weight last week ran between 176 and 180. The morning mile today was 8:03.

< A year without husi | Well, isn't that interesting. >
new and stuff | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
What does it mean to be a conservative? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 04:39:39 AM EST
That argument is being held on Culture11, The Corner, a couple blogs at The Atlantic. Other places, too, but those seem to be the centers.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

were you able by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 04:43:37 AM EST
to register to vote in MD in time ? Or absentee ballot to OH ?

Racial divisions: collective meh it seems from white americans. Not so much for african americans, based on news coverage. (ie Whitey don't care he's black). Funny, considering when Obama started, there was plenty of "not black enough" chatter about him.

Before economic melt down in sept, odds are most folks didn't want more from gov't. That seems to answer what will happen to the conservatives as well. I still resonate more with Regan's "we're from the gov't, and we're here to help" being scarry words.

Image: That issue seems to be a undercurrent in the election, a minority issue it seems from my own experience.

TV Sex by Herring (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 04:53:16 AM EST
Could it be that sex in society causes sex on TV? To credit TV with leading rather than following is possibly giving it too much power.

I read of a study somewhere that indicated that those kids who got into things like "The Silver Ring Thing" were less likely to have sex, but when they did were more likely to have unprotected sex. I'm not sure what this means though. And to quote Marcus Brigstocke "If you want to wear a ring that tells everyone else you're not having sex, do what the rest of us do and get married".

Herring - Official HuSi diarist of the 2016 European Korfball Championship (October 22nd, Dordrecht, Netherlands)

That could very well be the case by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 05:49:16 AM EST
I don't think it's a one way street. On the one hand social mores influence what gets show on TV. On the other hand social mores are influenced by what gets shown on TV.  But I am fairly certain that the particular correlation in question, kids who watch sex on TV having sex, isn't the cause of the sex on TV.

As for abstinence pledges and the like, I'm generally opposed.

Cicero, The Republic
There's a hell of lot more sex by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 12:40:02 PM EST
On Dutch or Scandinavian TV or lets face it on the internet than on US or UK TV. Maybe it's the parents...

Anwsers by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 07:43:26 AM EST
I'll pull a slashdot, and answer without reading the articles.

1. Is the "Reagan Revolution" over?

Yes, but it was actually killed by the Bush administration, not this election.  The "Reagan Revolution" was supposed to be about "small government".  That's dead, dead, dead.

2. Is America prepared to move beyond its racial divisions?

America has been slowly moving beyond its racial divisions for the past forty years.  This election is evidence of that.   We are not there yet.

3. Are young people becoming a driving force in American politics?

People pretend what happened in the last twenty years is forever.  The participation in politics ebbs and flows.  It's currently flowing.  Someday, it will ebb.

4. How much do Americans care about their image in the world?

Not at all.  This is true of both the left and the right.  Sometimes Americans on either side will talk about how horrible our reputation is, but that's just a rhetorical hammer because they don't like what's going on.

5. What does it mean to be a conservative?

It used to mean, careful with money, making sure inflow exceeds outgo, not taking action unless absolutely warranted, and trying to keep society the same.

Today?  God knows what.

1. Has America's racial divide narrowed?

It has been narrowing for decades, and likely will continue to.

2. Is the country still divided into red and blue?

This was always an artificial division.  There are certainly main divisions, like urban vs. rural, educated vs. uneducated, etc. that coalesced into "red vs. blue" for a couple of elections.  I'm not sure that'll last any longer than any other political grouping.  These things tend to last 2-3 presidential cycles.

3. Do Americans want more from government?

Not really answerable.  Too many differing opinions.

4. Has the electorate changed dramatically?

Nope.  But differing conditions added to long-term trends has produced what looks like a sudden change.  The country has been becoming more urban and more liberal for decades.  This has always made the neocon movement quite precarious.  All that was needed was the right trigger.

Also, I am convinced that the real correlation is between good parenting (including limiting certain sorts of TV) with fewer teen pregnancies.

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

re image: by garlic (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 02:39:58 PM EST
completely true.

As by duxup (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 03:15:13 PM EST
The answers in the article all seem about how I think.  The Republican's have trashed their previous principals for some easy religion based votes.

Also I've been surprised how many people note that we can't get stuff done in the world if we act / are perceived as assholes.  The conservative hyper patriotism has usually stifled such questions with ridiculous xenophobic BS but people seem to have had enough of that to the point where they know it doesn't matter how powerful you are, you're going to need friends sometimes and pissing people off isn't helpful and can be damaging.

____
Answers and sex by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Nov 04, 2008 at 05:44:39 AM EST
1.5: I used to self-identify as a conservative because I wanted less welfare, stronger national defense, fiscal responsibility and more dignity in national politics.  And I like guns.  This was when I was a teenager and early on in college.  I still like guns, but the Republican Party doesn't match any of that other stuff.  I think that by and large amongst people my age, "conservative" has everything to do with your view of morality, your attitudes on religion, science, sexuality and other cultural issues.  Today I would never identify myself as a conservative amongst strangers in my age group, unless I wanted them to assume I wanted to ban gay marriage, teach evolution in schools, put the Ten Commandments in all courtrooms and generally shove Christian morality down people's throats (which I don't).  I am still pretty fiscally conservative, but neither mainstream party believes in that anymore.

Red versus blue?  I think we will always be a nation divided on something.  I think it's in the nature of a free and diverse people to faction off on one thing or another.  Only the issues change.  Slavery, isolationism, capitalism, war, civil rights, religion, intellectualism.

Sex on TV...chicken or egg?  Television may run ahead of some segments of the population on moral issues, but lags far behind others.  Television executives are some of the most conservative people in the world, in the sense that they will not put anything on the tube that will see their ratings go down.  They could not get away with putting lots of sex on TV if most viewers did not want to see it.  And you're right, they really buried the lead in that article - after the first paragraph I was already getting ready to make the point which was eventually made near the very end, that kids who watched a lot of shows with sexual content were probably more interested in and accepting of sex in the first place.

Reminds me of this.