Print Story Hoo-boy.
Marriage
By BadDoggie (Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 10:24:17 AM EST) lurveys (all tags)
Circumstances conspired to change the timeline. I'd planned to wait another two months but I already knew two months ago. I didn't want there to be any question that this was about anything other than how I felt about her -- no obligations, no pressure, no demands, nothing forced.

I want to be your friend and your lover,
Your partner and equal,
Nothing less than your equal, never more than your equal;
Your rock when you need, Your bitch when you want,
Your support.
This I choose to do.
If there is a price, I choose to pay.
If the price is pain, I choose to hurt.
If the price is blood, I choose to bleed.
If I must travel, there I choose to go.
If I must be left behind, there I choose to stay.
I choose more. I choose happiness.
I choose to want and be wanted.
I choose to need and be needed.
I choose to love and be loved.
All of this I choose, if you choose me.
RIG, will you marry me?

My heart was pounding and racing; the half-second between my question and her answer seemed to take an hour. Without ever looking away she nodded her head and said, "Yes."

Epic win. She seems to like the ring. It's shiny.

< history textbook reviews, yay! | Quick letter from Guantanamo >
Hoo-boy. | 78 comments (78 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by jxg (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 10:46:58 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by jxg

We're in Germany. by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:02:09 AM EST
Mandated health care and she's a veggie.

Eeep by marvin (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:11:26 AM EST
So with the hastiness that we've seen on this, you'll be ready to progress to plonkerdom within another 2 years. Takes about 5-10x the length of the courtship, as a general rule.

Do you have a plonker account picked out yet? Better hurry and reserve one now before all of the good ones are gone.

I need no plonker account. by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:22:51 AM EST
I have plonked. That phase is over. I have no need for your silly longevity rules. Despite how it looks this was not a hasty decision though it was, as I wrote, hastened by circumstances.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

The world would be a poorer place..... by marvin (4.00 / 2) #9 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:31:41 AM EST
....without people like you. I have to admit that life would get boring if the world were only full of sane, methodical, and cautious people. The nice part about not making decisions for others is that I don't have to live with the consequences either. I'll try to stop worrying about you, and just sit back and enjoy the diaries to come.

Best of luck and congratulations. It seems that you couldn't have picked a better girl to be the bitch for.

Circumstances... by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #49 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 01:53:51 AM EST
9 weeks left to the first scan?

But cheap jokes aside, congratulations to you both.

Seriously. by sugar spun (4.00 / 2) #50 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 01:57:57 AM EST
If I was pregnant, don't you think he'd be telling everyone?

That is, if he could tear himself away from the microscope, where he would be examining his super-sperm and congratulating them on their tenacity and stamina.

Usually by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #51 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 02:05:38 AM EST
You wait for the 12 week scan before telling anyone.

But it's the GP comment from BadDoggie about "circumstance" that has us guessing, really.

Which is why by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #55 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 03:13:16 AM EST
he said it, I'm sure.

Who knows? by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #62 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 04:24:10 AM EST
So, 10 weeks to the scan then or lease running out on one of your flats?

Good grief by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:14:19 AM EST
You're on the rebound, you've only been together a few months, and you've had a stormy relationship even for that time.

DOOMed with a capital OOM.

RIG if you have any traces of sanity left: insist on a long, long engagement.

Hey now by marvin (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:18:40 AM EST
They are both on the rebound, sort of.

That means the rebounds cancel each other out, right?

Neither of us is on the rebound. by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:25:32 AM EST
As to our prior relationships, both of us had long been out of them emotionally. We aren#t jumping in blindly here. On the contrary, we know each other better than most people do after years together.

Don't expect me by marvin (4.00 / 2) #10 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:32:34 AM EST
to buy into your delusions any more than I expect you to buy into my caution.

Well, good luck anyway [nt] by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 12:40:20 PM EST

No rebounding. by sugar spun (4.00 / 1) #33 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:13:54 PM EST
It hasn't been a long time. What we do have is that we're both willing to do what's necessary to make it work, should we get to the point where something beyond simple maintenance is required.

Neither of us is naive or stupid. It's pretty fabulous at the moment, but things will be difficult and we'll argue and annoy each other and say and do obnoxious things that might be hard to forgive. It's going to happen. We're both fairly abrasive, strong-willed people. Fortunately, our wills seem to flow mostly in the same direction, and we have a vested interest in making it work. It won't be all running nekkid through the roses and strolling handfast under falling leaves. I'm pretty certain that sometimes it's going to suck for both of us. I'm also certain that we have enough mutual love and respect to help each other through whatever suckage is headed our way, and enough sense to figure out ways to fix the things that love and respect aren't enough for.

I didn't take it lightly, either.

Congrats by ana (4.00 / 5) #6 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:20:11 AM EST
And best wishes.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

How many times by Herring (4.00 / 2) #11 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 12:00:00 PM EST
UTBNB.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I actually meant Good Luck by Herring (4.00 / 3) #14 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 01:09:57 PM EST
And not "Good Luck ever getting blown again" but actual good luck.

She seems funny.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Why do you assume by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #34 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:15:12 PM EST
we need reminding?

Til lykke by TurboThy (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 12:00:39 PM EST
... også med den forestående familieforøgelse? ;-)

__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
Takk fyrir by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 01:45:52 PM EST
En það var ALLT OF bráðlega! Við ætlum að gifta okkur; af hverjú ertu að tala um fjölskylda?

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

That's got to translate as by Phage (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 10:19:09 PM EST
Is she pregnant ?

Age joke. by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:03:39 PM EST
Two of my friends got engaged last month, and it was commented upon that we* have now reached the grand old age where "is she pregnant?" isn't the automatic response when people get engaged.

There's no shotgun involved.

*being those friends I've had since I was 4, or 7, or 11, or 16. School friends, who are all my age.

Google thinks you're preggers, too. by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #39 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:55:11 PM EST
Every fucking ad that gets loaded on this page is puppy-related, from "Osteopathy for Babies" to "Natural Birth, Osteopathy" to "back pain".

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

I do have backache today. by sugar spun (4.00 / 2) #44 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 12:30:51 AM EST
Should we start passing out cigars?

You don't block google ads? by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #46 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 12:48:34 AM EST

I actually click on them occasionally... by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #53 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 02:18:47 AM EST
If I like the site. And, of course, when I'm using IE instead of a decent browser which blocks them.

Indeed by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #57 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 03:18:34 AM EST
Instead it is the automatic response when one is seen drinking mineral water in a bar.

Before this descends into by Phage (2.00 / 0) #58 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 03:27:07 AM EST
The usual farce, I'd just like to point out that it was only a small joke based on the use of the word familieforøgelse.

Sheesh.

I know. by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #59 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 03:38:03 AM EST
Rest assured that I'm not offended at all, merely amused.

I did drink mineral water at the bar last night, although I also drank wine with dinner. Make of it what you will...

congrats! by misslake (4.00 / 2) #15 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 01:40:48 PM EST
and best wishes!

that is completely wonderful news!!

i propose a toast: to love!

to love! by ana (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 01:55:15 PM EST
'Nother Toddy?

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

to love!!! by marvin (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 02:12:46 PM EST
'Nother infanT before 'Nother Toddler

to love! by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 02:46:49 PM EST
Here's to some happy whelping. Or whatever it is you guys do.

Congratulations. by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 02:21:35 PM EST

The Political Science Department of the University of Woolloomooloo

oooOOOOooo shiny! by R343L (4.00 / 1) #21 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 03:01:03 PM EST
Congratulations!

My magpie reputation by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #32 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:07:54 PM EST
is richly undeserved, but it seems to amuse.

It is very shiny, and very beautiful. And he measured my finger while I was sleeping so it would fit.

Congratulations by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 04:07:42 PM EST

Congratulations! by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 04:20:36 PM EST
What? No picture of the ring???
Vanity, thy name is woman by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #35 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:17:23 PM EST
Need a manicure......

Actually we didn't think of it, but we should take one.

Congrats! by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #24 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 04:34:09 PM EST
Here's to a long and happy marriage!

Well done! by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 06:06:59 PM EST
Grats!

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
I for one by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 07:43:25 PM EST
Am going to go against the DOOOOOMED trend and wish you both well.

Congrats

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Congratulations by hulver (4.00 / 2) #27 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 09:08:09 PM EST
To both of you, but I think she's mad ;)

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
In view of the user name by anonimouse (4.00 / 6) #28 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 09:48:46 PM EST
You could say they're both barking.....

I'll get my coat

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Canine jokes by sugar spun (3.66 / 3) #36 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:19:02 PM EST
will be dogging our footsteps forever.

I didn't want you to be alone with your bad joke. Altruism and such.

You went THERE? by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #38 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:52:25 PM EST
Are you really going to play this? I thought we had an arrangement: I make bad puns and to make up for it I give you shiny things.

As you paws to reflect on what you've done, remember that you now owe me a shiny thing.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

In the name of that is holy by Phage (4.00 / 2) #41 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 12:26:33 AM EST
Cut that OUT.

Shiny thing: check by sugar spun (4.00 / 1) #42 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 12:28:24 AM EST
This'll be a tail to tell the grandchildren.

Oh, fur cryin' out loud! by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #47 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 01:12:32 AM EST
This is just going to get more painful.

Stop whining. by sugar spun (4.00 / 1) #48 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 01:52:28 AM EST

Those language books behind the computers? by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #52 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 02:15:17 AM EST
You need to bone up on your m4d sk1llZ.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

I'm glad you enjoy these puns so much. by sugar spun (4.00 / 2) #56 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 03:18:16 AM EST

It seems to give you a new leash on life.

You're muttying the waters by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #60 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 03:43:06 AM EST
This thread has gone to the dogs.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Your sense of humour by sugar spun (4.00 / 1) #61 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 03:50:34 AM EST
it is mastiff and frightening. I live in terrier of it.

It's my fine breeding´, doggone it. by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #63 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 04:34:41 AM EST
Do you really Dane to take me on in this?

BTW, the veggie chow you cooked last night? I wolfed it down today.

Fine breeding. by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #71 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 11:13:59 PM EST
You're truly a pedigree, chum.

Romantics Represent ! by Phage (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 10:16:45 PM EST
I am incredibly happy for you both. Your words above are correct, you make your choice with your eyes open.
When are you going to be in London ?

I'll be there from the 5th-11th. by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #37 Thu Nov 27, 2008 at 11:27:15 PM EST
I don't think BD has made his plans yet, although he should probably start thinking about it.

My talk is on the 7th, I think, and the conference dinner's on the 8th.

The 5th is a Monday, and I may yet end up at a loose end in Covent Garden at my cheap ass hotel, unless I hit the bookshops on Charing Cross Road or go watch a play. I'll either end up at the fish place in Covent Garden or in Chinatown for dinner either way. The 6th is family time. The rest of it is all conference till Saturday lunchtime, and I fly out Sunday afternoon but have to go via Stansted so disaster may ensue. If BD's joining I'll venture out for drinks. I might be too shy and retiring to do it alone...

Thank you for your good wishes. I'm not usually a "just know" sort of person, and it's really difficult to explain myself.

Hang on... by Phage (2.00 / 0) #40 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 12:24:19 AM EST
the 5th of December is a Friday. Or have I missed something ?

Going alone is scary. But if you feel a little braver there's always a coffee at lunchtime.
In London you're never more than 20min from one these denizens. The people here are very good company, and a coffee in daylight would probably be less threatening...

5th January. by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #43 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 12:29:58 AM EST
December I'm mostly spending slightly more north. Except when I am fleeing the horrors of Family Christmas by any means of public transportation necessary.

<shudder> by Phage (2.00 / 0) #45 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 12:47:58 AM EST
Family Christmas. Say no more.
That sounds like you may have a moment free in there somewhere. Keep us posted on plans, and we'll work out something non-threatening.

Timeline? by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #54 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 02:59:17 AM EST
You're going to be deported unless you hook up with an EUian?

Seriously, congrats, ride that wave:)

Congratulations! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #64 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 04:36:11 AM EST

Congratulations Z & L by TheFragile (2.00 / 0) #65 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 06:23:01 AM EST
Am happy that love and romance still exists in this world somewhere. Gives the rest of us hope.

The most powerful weapon is the eyes.. for it is through them that one sees directly into the soul, and watches over the souls of others.
Wow - First post since 2005 ? by Phage (2.00 / 0) #67 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 07:09:46 AM EST

Um.. by TheFragile (2.00 / 0) #68 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 07:12:15 AM EST
I forgot my login?

wrong account ? by Phage (2.00 / 0) #72 Sat Nov 29, 2008 at 02:11:17 PM EST

Nah, she's legit. by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #74 Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 05:01:07 PM EST
A friend from the ex-pat board currently living in UKia.I sent some of the expats' board "elite" this way rather than re-writing all the details there as well.

WOW by TPD (2.00 / 0) #66 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 06:54:51 AM EST
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Happy news. Best wishes. [nt] by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #69 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 09:58:40 AM EST

Awesome! (nt) by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #70 Fri Nov 28, 2008 at 05:37:20 PM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Holy shit!!!! by atreides (2.00 / 0) #73 Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 04:10:03 PM EST
I go away for Turkey Day and look what happens! Congrats! When and where is the big day?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

End of February, Liverpool by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #75 Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 05:05:44 PM EST
IF we can get all the paperwork sorted. All her family and friends are there.

She's a Brit but non-resident, I'm not a Brit and though I'm an EU resident, this could cause a lot of problems when I go to her parents' place in two weeks. We have to declare our intention to get married and I have to bring paperwork, fill out forms and get other papers to carry with me AT ALL TIMES from the consulate.

I'm gonna try and get the equivalent of a Letter of Marque from the consulate indicating that they know I live and work here, have no intention of moving to the UK, that the British "residence" I might be granted is only a legal fiction to accommodate British marriage laws, and that they need to leave me the fuck alone and not hinder my travel. I'm betting on a letter from the consulate having enough weight that customs dipshits will actually not play games. Still might take the train in, though.

Who knows? by atreides (2.00 / 0) #77 Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 11:22:37 PM EST
Because everyone wants to live in a police state? by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #78 Mon Dec 01, 2008 at 03:06:52 AM EST
I intentionally live in a country which has been through that and is fairly reticent to return to such a system.

congrats! by clock (2.00 / 0) #76 Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 05:57:17 PM EST
...chuckling softly to myself...

may fortune shine upon you both!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Hoo-boy. | 78 comments (78 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback