Print Story Fun on a Saturday afternoon.
Cars
By ana (Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 11:32:09 AM EST) (all tags)
not.

So Saturday started more or less as normal, with some additional stuff for the shopping list what with the upcoming holiday. And an extra bottle of wine, to go with the duckling. And some new gloves (mine had a hole in the thumb) and a warm hat and some other stuff at LL Bean.

Whole Foods isn't quite Whole Paycheck, but it's expensive, this eating business.

We're on our way home, maybe 1pm or maybe 2ish, and, about 2 miles from home, got whacked, hard, by a guy coming out of an apartment complex.

Southbound car (us) going through the intersection... this guy is pulling out not looking at us. I had time to honk. He hit us near the left rear wheel, spinning the car around, and it banged into a northbound car which was stopped, waiting to turn left. Everybody stopped, got out, no significant injuries. We moved the cars out of the intersection, and toxicfur got on the phone to call 911.

A few minutes later, a fire truck and an ambulance came, just to ask if everybody was ok. Except that it's zero (C, but still cold) and windy, yeah. They said a tow truck had been called. A few minutes after they left, the state policeman came. We stood outdoors while he copied info off of all 3 drivers' licenses and registrations. I gather I hafta go fill out an accident report at the local constabulary tomorrow or sometime. The tow truck guy came and hauled the car off to their lot. The guy who was waiting to turn left was very nice, and offered us a ride home, with all of our groceries & stuff. He even helped carry in an armload of stuff when he got here.

An hour or two later, after talking to an insurance company adjuster, I'm beginning to calm down. I'm warm now, so I guess the shakes are from the end of the adreneline rush.

Toxicfur was angry enough to pop the driver who hit us; fortunately he was on the other side of the street until later. He was ticketed for failing to yield the right-of-way. I guess the cop got nearly enough the same story from all 3 of us.

So there's yet another piece of unnecessary complication in our lives. Short term. Everybody's fine. That's the important thing. And we have another car.

The dogs were aware something was wrong when we got home; they were very cuddly. They read our emotions very well. And now, I have a kitty in my lap. Life is good.
< Questions for Gamers (and non) :: Art? | MLP: 'European population structure with 300K SNPs and 6,000 individuals' >
Fun on a Saturday afternoon. | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Glad to hear everyone is fine. by wilsley (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 12:47:03 PM EST
What do you mean by pop if you dont mind me asking?

hit him. by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 01:17:25 PM EST
In the face. With her fist.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Goddamn. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 04:12:33 PM EST
She is awesome.

Seriously.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Fortunately... by ana (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 04:15:36 PM EST
not quite awesome enough, or opportune, to make good on the desire.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Still. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 04:17:20 PM EST
And all.

I mean, it would hve been more awesome had she actually popped him.  But still.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
That's nicer to me by theboz (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 09:24:58 PM EST
I was so pissed after my last accident that I was threatening to kill their entire family and eat their mother's heart in front of them.  However, that was a hit and run, so my anger was basically pointless.

- - - - -
glad everyone's okay by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 12:55:15 PM EST
was the guy who hit you reasonable about it, or was he a jerk?

when I got rear-ended not long ago, I started the whole insurance claims process while sitting in my car waiting for the cop to arrive.  the guy who hit me was pissed that i was making him wait and wasn't willing to just let it go. he tried to straighten my license plate so it looked like he hadn't hit me very hard, and i had to tell him not to touch my car again. i understand the desire to pop someone.

---------
Dogs by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 02:05:16 PM EST
can read emotions.

Glad you weren't hurt. Physically anyway.

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
Thx by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 02:32:24 PM EST
The cats also know when someone's upset. Apparently not from looking at our faces, though they love to stare into our eyes.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

WARNING!!! by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 02:44:27 PM EST
:-/ by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 03:19:08 PM EST
glad to know that you guys are ok.

It's a car, it'll get fixed and hopefully the guy won't ever do it again.

Glad y'all are OK. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 04:14:46 PM EST
Don't dwell on the possibilities in either direction. If your car wasn't totaled, make sure you find the most expensive auto body shop in the area...the ones that work on the local Italian and German cars.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Yeah... by ana (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Nov 22, 2008 at 04:16:59 PM EST
kind of a pain, but we've made do with one car before, and can again, for a while. The left rear wheel is about 5-10 degrees from vertical, which ain't good.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Accidents by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #14 Sun Nov 23, 2008 at 04:20:41 AM EST

I was just in an accident three weeks ago with my wife's car. I ran rear-ended a women who stopped short for a pedestrian.  The cop didn't cite anyone in the accident.  What he said was to go online and download the accident report which needs to filled out and mailed to both insurance companies and the RMV within five days of the accident.  I think the name of the form is the Motor Vehicle Crash Form.  My wife's car is still at the body shop. The assessor started with $3500 in damages, but I think we're at $4300 now.  We hope to have the car back this week.

---------------
Argh. by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #15 Sun Nov 23, 2008 at 06:37:55 PM EST
That... just sucks.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Fun on a Saturday afternoon. | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback