Print Story So what DO you do?!
So I was at a retirement party for our CEO and I ran into a couple people from the department, a VP and some up-and-coming girl, and they were all, so, how's stuff going in your area, and then they were like, wait, so what is it exactly that you do? And I was like, um, I actually haven't done anything at all productive in the last four months. Shit. I need to send out resumes TODAY. I just got an alert that $CONSULTING_COMPANY has an opening that's a good fit for me. On the one hand, it's consulting, on the other, it's a good fit.

I need to escape.

So I got the blocks. They look great. They're arriving today (oh crap, I hope UPS delivers them). The blocks are pretty sweet. They will last years.

My lower back is bothering me today. I hate sitting. One of the things I like about instructing or presenting is that you can stand up. Maybe I should get a job that involves a lot of teaching or presentations. Anyways: this does not bode well when it comes to driving all over the nation next week for Thanksgiving. I might have to leave out the grandparental circuit.

Google switched up the look of their mail. Last night I found a way to change the "skin" somewhere in the settings, but I can't find a way to do it today. I will set fire to somebody's car. I want to be able to fiddle with colours.

Just watch, I will totally find something valuable to do today.

9:15. I've been in the office 1/2 hour. I already want to go home. I have a meeting at 11. I can either trudge out to the other building in the cold or call in. I think I'll call in. It's 1.5 hours and calling in will let me stand up for a while. I don't want to do anything again ever.

Re: Finance. We're all doomed. As I've said before, our only way out is zombie apocalypse. And it's not a pretty way out. In a few years, people will look back at these diaries and be amazed at their prescience.

There's a potluck at work tomorrow. I have literally no time to make anything for it tonight even if I skip some of the stuff I'm booked for. I'm already planning on skipping one: a buddy of mine has a metal band and they're at some bar or something tonight. I said I could come because I thought it was Friday, but it's today.

I forgot to take my medicine this morning. I was rushing out the door. I nearly died on the train as a result. Well, not quite. I also ran for the train: my adductors hurt as I did so.

I'm wearing my Chuck Taylors to work. They are not quite as awesome as my Fivefingers, but they are pretty good. They are black and they are not high-tops. They are not quite as awesome as my Fivefingers. I'm also wearing a corduroy jacket: I hope I am not a hipster.

Watched some Doctor Who last night. Solved some chess problems. I've got 99 problems.

I don't think I ate dinner last night. The CEO party was at like 3 and I ate a lot of shrimp. I don't recall eating anything after that. C'est la vie.

We gotta get out of this place...

I will pick up heavy things and put them over my head tonight.

This conference call just turned philosophical.

< As I sit back and listen | Back from DC >
So what DO you do?! | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
But a bitch ain't one? by MissTrish (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 10:28:34 AM EST
me at work today: moderately drunk. hooray celebration champagne! i think this may be the only time i say this: my work kicks your works ass.

tips for a tiny girl doing deadlifts? i need to achieve 4 100lbs deadlifts by 2010.

ypu're a chair
that was me yesterday by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 10:52:03 AM EST
I was at that CEO reception from 3-4. I had a choice: knock off early or go back to work after having had a few drinks. After conferring with $UBER_BOSS, we decided I should go back to work for at least a little bit.

100lbs deadlifts? You can probably do that now. If you can't, in at most four weeks, including a week to get the form down.

well fuck by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 11:15:18 AM EST
then all i gotta do is speed up the push ups and i'm a shoo in for paramedic. screw you humber college.

my "going back to work for a bit" included reading my google reader list and accepting a job offer for when this one is done at the end of the year. woot.

ypu're a chair
sweet by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 11:19:25 AM EST
You win this round.

Though you should be warned that they probably mean something other than, "lifting up a barbell loaded to 100#," so it may be slightly harder. Not too much harder. But slightly harder.

to be fair by MissTrish (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 11:23:39 AM EST
i haven't even tried yet. since i've got enough time,  i'll probably worry about it in a year or so. further fairness, before i started puch ups i had trouble with picking up 15 pound weights.

wow, i actually published that to the public

ypu're a chair
okay, then it might be a little longer. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 11:29:10 AM EST
two months.

If it's the last thing we ever do by marvin (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 04:43:13 PM EST
When I started singing that song every day walking down the alley on my way to and from the office, I knew it was time to go. Took me a year or so to land something better.

Now, I bite my tongue when I even think the words. I'm in a mostly happy place, and have a pretty good work environment.

For gmail, Settings, then Themes tab.

A year? Drat. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 05:13:37 PM EST
For some reason the Themes tab wasn't showing up at work. I had found it at home on Firefox, but I would swear it wasn't there at work on IE.

Was somewhat picky by marvin (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Nov 20, 2008 at 06:15:37 PM EST
I didn't start looking right away, and only sent out two resumes that I can recall, around April-May 2006. Had a position by July, started in August 2006.

I wanted to work in a somewhat different field, in which I had some degree of involvement already. This made searching tougher since I was  in the upper quarter of the food chain in my old area of work, and wasn't really interested in taking a pay cut to change industries.

I also limited the geographic area to which I applied, to a region with ~250k population. Nice thing about areas with small populations - it helps when you already know most of the local people who work in the field. My references were both well known and respected by my new employer. It turned out that one reference who I had known for almost a decade was the primary consultant for my new employer. His good word meant a lot, but it also put some pressure on me to not screw up.

So what DO you do?! | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback