Print Story Halloween in Engaland
By Clipper Ship (Sun Nov 02, 2008 at 10:21:53 AM EST) (all tags)
I was talking with a certain friend from England and apparently you folks DO have Halloween.

I think it's the best holiday going. Short, to the point and full of horror movies. A great time always had by me. And, of course, booze fits well into it.
< Igor | Autumn / Halloween Photos >
Halloween in Engaland | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oh yeah by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 12:11:23 AM EST
And electricity, running water and inside toilets.

I wondered why the candle wouldn't go out. NT by Phage (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 12:29:38 AM EST

You wquate Halloween with civilization? by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 03:39:40 AM EST
What a weird comparison.

---------------

Destroy All Planets

Indeed by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 03:52:20 AM EST
What better marker of a civilisation than taking an ancient festival and commercialising it to the point that it is unrecognisable?

Do you have some kind of personal attachment by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 06:20:42 AM EST
to ancient festivals? You do realize that in a few hundred years our commercialization will be an ancient festival and whatever else self-righteous people would feel good about attributing to it, right?

---------------

Destroy All Planets

Sorry by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 06:21:57 AM EST
I should clarify. I was describing a positive phenomenon.

Nope by Clipper Ship (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Nov 03, 2008 at 06:23:49 AM EST
I the commercialization of these festivals. It gives them new legs and creates great fodder for ridiculous news stories about how the spirit of whatever is being sucked out of the holiday by all these people who are actively participating in it.

---------------