Print Story On a completely different topic
Food
By ObviousTroll (Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 06:45:57 AM EST) Cookies (all tags)
and at some personal risk, since I'm talking about this before Thanksgiving...

I'm planning on doing something I haven't done in years: baking tons of cookies and giving them out to all and sundry over the holidays. To survive the process, I'm already baking one or two batches each week and freezing them.

I've made chocolate chip, snickerdoodles (and I'll be making more of those), hermits (ditto), peanut butter cookies and sugar cookies (not from scratch - I can never get the dough right, so I bought Pilsbury's finest.)

What else should I be making?

Also on the plan:
  • Chocolate cookies with white chips
  • Butterscotch brownies (make those at the last minute)
  • Pumpkin cookies (ditto. Never made them before, but the recipe says you should freeze or store them, they get mushy.)
  • ?
I also listened to "The Chef's Table" on NPR this week and he was talking about making liquors as gifts by infusing various flavors into vodka. The recipe for homemade triple-sec sounded especially yummy. I'm intrigued but half my family doesn't drink and the half that does only drinks beer.

Also, grad school is going by with scary speed - this week's the mid-term. Anyone interested in setting a date for that pre-class drink we talked about? Tuesdays and Thursdays - with the caveat that there's no class on Thanksgiving week (which might actually make it a good week for a meet up)?
< The good news: There are still flying squirrels in Pennsylvania. | train voyage part five >
On a completely different topic | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I have an awesome sugar cookie recipe by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 06:47:16 AM EST
mostly butter and confectioner's sugar. I can post it later.

Sounds good. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 07:23:21 AM EST
Lamb loves making sugar cookies, but I can never get them to turn out right when I make them from scratch. She spent an hour yesterday painting the cookies with 10x icing & food coloring.

Is Mike keeping up with his riding?
no free husi give-away ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 07:58:39 AM EST
Even domestic shipping ? What if we send you a christmas card, would you send cookies ? (and ones minus the arsenic..)

Maximum LoLs by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 08:12:55 AM EST
Although, now, that I think of it, a Husi cookie exchange would be quite cool.

But.. How do you pack cookies so they don't die at the hands of the postal service?

Is Mike keeping up with his riding?
Pack the cookies by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 08:52:30 AM EST
with lots of ground coffee, and some oregano. The scent should keep the greedy bastards from opening your package and eating all the cookies..

FWIW, I'd get the kitchen-aid out and send some cookies to someone.. Maybe not a ton of folks, but some kinda secret santa deal or whatever.. If the postage ain't a killer..

Secret Santa mode... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 09:21:05 AM EST
I was thinking about that myself, an exchange with 20 members would be brutal, but if each of us had to send cookies to one other person...

Downside: are there rules about shipping out-of-country? I'd hate for someone to get busted as a cookie smuggler..

Is Mike keeping up with his riding?
with art swaps by dr k (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 09:54:12 AM EST
everyone sends their items and some extra postage to the same person. That person then repackages all of the items and sends them back to all of the contributors.

So you could do this with the cookies. Sends them all to some reliable Husite (not MNS) and have them do all the work. This even works with foreign shipments, because each person only pays their own postage.

:| :| :| :| :|

Also a possibility by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 10:25:51 AM EST
although it requires some noble yet selfless volunteer to take on the redistribution of wealth.

Is Mike keeping up with his riding?
Hold up, by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Nov 18, 2008 at 02:44:08 PM EST

do you have a permit to be saying my name?

meetz, yo by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 11:57:13 AM EST
actually thanksgiving week should work well for me as I don't have LO that week.
Cookies by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 01:18:11 PM EST
Peanut butter
Oatmeal raisin
Molasses

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
I should make some oatmeal cookies. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Nov 17, 2008 at 02:28:11 AM EST
I like them, but the kids don't, so I stopped making them.

Is Mike keeping up with his riding?
pfeffernuess. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 03:29:20 PM EST

Never heard of them. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Nov 17, 2008 at 02:29:54 AM EST

They sound interesting, but I wonder why the batter needs to sit for so long....

Is Mike keeping up with his riding?
chill by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Nov 17, 2008 at 05:24:54 AM EST
so that when the cookies bake, they don't flatten out so much ?  I think that's one reason lots of recipes say chill the batter..

yeabut by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Nov 17, 2008 at 06:42:51 AM EST
overnight?

I chill my peanut butter cookies and snickerdoodles for about an hour; more than that seems excessive.

Is Mike keeping up with his riding?
For some molasses by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Nov 17, 2008 at 06:50:02 AM EST
cookies, chilling the dough for that long (after forming it into a log, wrapped in wax paper) makes it very easy to slice the cookies as well.. This is if you're not doing the "roll into ball" method (which also wants COLD dough, so it won't stick).. I've found an hour usually isn't enough for molasses/ginger cookies (but I've had such crappy luck with making those kind of cookies, I've pretty much given up trying..)

Ah. okay. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Nov 17, 2008 at 07:06:28 AM EST
I may have to give them a try. I made a batch of pecan sandies last night while I was waiting for Elvis the Flying Squirrel to make his move - they came out pretty well, a really simple recipe.

Is Mike keeping up with his riding?
meetup by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 03:47:41 PM EST
I can do pre-class beers any Tues or Thurs.  Thanksgiving week works for me.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
wrong holiday by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Nov 17, 2008 at 03:09:50 AM EST
But zimtsterne are teh yum.