Print Story Now for something serious.
Technology
By dev trash (Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 05:16:27 PM EST) (all tags)
Well not THAT serious but, maybe I am being ripped off somehow?

I go to bed around 10:30-11:00PM.
My alarm goes off at 6:17AM and I am in the shower have the heat on by 6:40AM
I leave the house and shut every thing off like lights and heat and radio at 7:30AM.
I get home around 5:15PM, and turn on the heat.  I keep it off and on, 15-35 minutes at a time, sometimes longer.

I have a electric baseboard heat, just one room on at night, two rooms on in the morning but not at the same time.  I have a electric water heat.  Coworker suggested there may be a timer on the water heater, that previous tenants may have had installed so they could wake up to hot water.  My water is hot from the faucet within one minute.

I run a small humidifier at night, after 11PM.

I use all CFL lights.

No use of the oven this week.  Microwave for this day was on maybe 10 minutes total.

Don't watch TV much, not at all on this day.

Two Desktops are on 24/7, run Linux, mostly idle.  One laptop is on from 5:30PM-11PM

Hourly usage is delayed by 48 hours so I can't remember details, but here is the graph.

< Put me in a special school | Enraha >
Now for something serious. | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Where do you pull the usage stats from? by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 05:50:01 PM EST

Is that an option your power company provides to you, or am I missing something totally obvious on the meter that I can be pulling data from? I would love to generate such information on my own use, but the meter for this place is pretty much just a spinning wheel, and the bills they send pretty much just tell me what I owe and when it's due, along with some printed flyer about what an awesome company they are, and how they're saving the entire planet or whatnot.

straight from my provider. by dev trash (2.66 / 3) #7 Fri Nov 14, 2008 at 02:31:56 PM EST
Which seems wrong, since everyone knows Pennsylvania is like 50 years behind every one else.

I can get hour by hour ( 48 hour delay it seems ) How cold it was, monthly.  What my bill is right now ( which is really cool, I won't be surprised when it comes then )

And it all comes in a downloadable CSV format too.

Click

Damn, time to make an angry phone call to PG&E by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Nov 14, 2008 at 04:58:41 PM EST

That kind of data is highly interesting to me, and, since they're charging me based on it, I'm thinking they should also provide such information to me, as well.

just say these two words. by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Nov 14, 2008 at 06:18:47 PM EST
Erin Brocavich.

Click
Is there a day you shut off the water heater? by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 06:12:49 PM EST
If so, mark the day and then look to see if you've still got the usage spikes.

Cicero, The Republic
not without landlord intervention by dev trash (4.00 / 3) #5 Fri Nov 14, 2008 at 02:30:31 PM EST
I am almost 100% sure the heater is in the garage.

Click
Aside from heat and water by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 06:53:57 PM EST
one of the biggest energy consumers is your fridge, especially if it's old.

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
it is quite old. by dev trash (2.66 / 3) #6 Fri Nov 14, 2008 at 02:31:42 PM EST
alas I have no control over getting another, unless it dies.

Click
Also by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 06:58:47 PM EST
I wonder if the chart is off by an hour (Daylight/Standard conversion or maybe the monitor is in central time). If you shift the graph to the right by one hour, you are very close to the pattern you describe.

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
perhaps by dev trash (2.66 / 3) #8 Fri Nov 14, 2008 at 02:34:27 PM EST
without the heat on after I go to bed, I would expect the chart would not increase every hour.

Click
csv by dev trash (2.66 / 3) #9 Fri Nov 14, 2008 at 02:37:56 PM EST
I'm gonna look at the CSV file and see if i can figure this out,

Click