Print Story $285? Whaddaya mean my Roth IRA is at $285?
By gzt (Wed Oct 08, 2008 at 07:54:54 AM EST) gzt, marilynne robinson, cookies, disaster (all tags)
"Man, I just wish I could vote for Bush again." That's what I plan on saying when people ask me what I think about the elections or who I'm voting for. Aside from how it directly touches my industry (health insurance), I try not to comment much on politics in polite conversation.

Speaking of which, I turned on the debate for a couple minutes out of curiosity and just could not continue. It happened to be at the moment when they were talking about health insurance and, well, let me just say I severely hope that McCain does not get elected and, if he should get elected, that his ideas on this matter will go nowhere. It just does not work.

So I switched to watching something that would piss me off a little less: Monday's episode of Heroes. This episode actually made it seem like the show may not be so terrible this year. I don't know why I'm still watching. I could have watched some Doctor Who instead.

After that, I read a bit of Home, Marilynne Robinson's latest novel. It is sort of a companion novel to Gilead, exploring another family who appeared in the novel. It is fairly good so far. I will comment more when I get further along. I really should be studying for that exam next month. Whatevs.

I don't think I will bother eating lunch.

I think I'll go outside and read a book during my lunch time. Right now. I'll eat a small cookie on the way out.

< Your weekly dose of political venom | Mission: Destroy All Aliens >
$285? Whaddaya mean my Roth IRA is at $285? | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
McCain's plan by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Oct 08, 2008 at 09:38:49 AM EST
Tax your employer for offering you healthcare benefits, possibly making it prohibitively expensive to offer.  Give you a tax break that will barely cover single coverage.  Hope it kills more Democrats than Republicans.

Don't get me started. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Oct 08, 2008 at 09:42:08 AM EST
I nearly lit my internet connection on fire out of rage in the 45 seconds I was listening to him. Then I realized the best way to stop him was to navigate away from the streaming video...

Dude, Heroes? by blixco (4.00 / 3) #3 Wed Oct 08, 2008 at 10:36:58 AM EST
Dude. DUDE. I so lost that show, or it lost me, with the invention of a Bad Guy That Cannot Be Killed and a plot that fell somewhere between bad and totally benign.

I still like Hiro, but who doesn't? It should just be a show about a Japanese worker who can fuck with time.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
I agree completely. by gzt (4.00 / 3) #4 Wed Oct 08, 2008 at 11:05:03 AM EST
I mentioned in previous diaries that I am not sure just why I keep watching. The first season was pretty good. The second season was like, why the hell is this show still going on? The third is all, "Why am I still watching this when the second season was lame and now they're making it worse?"

It's just like comic books. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Oct 08, 2008 at 10:17:18 PM EST
I remember reading some comics long after they no longer held my interest in the hope that the wonderful bits would come back.

I'm digging the first few episodes of this season. Sylar is much more interesting now.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

I think this last episode really rounded Sylar out by gzt (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Oct 09, 2008 at 06:13:52 AM EST
Enough so that I'm going to watch next week.

McCain's health care plan by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Oct 09, 2008 at 07:54:59 AM EST
is intended to destroy the employer/health care link.

there's actually a decent argument that after the dust settles from that, it would be a net economic benefit: not having to deal with health care will make it easier for American employers to compete in the global marketplace.

but the way he's going about it is going to fuck over everyone with health insurance who isn't independently wealthy.

I know it's intended to. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Oct 09, 2008 at 08:59:59 AM EST
What he's doing won't work. It will be terrible. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

there is always wailing and gnashing of teeth. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Oct 10, 2008 at 05:52:51 PM EST
his ideas of taxing it as income sounds fair. But it doesn't sound like most people will like it, because most people don't like fair.