Print Story Various
By Phil the Canuck (Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 06:16:22 AM EST) (all tags)
Work is calm and quiet.

At least until I get into the middle of writing this.  I actually cleared a major phone system issue out of my queue this morning.  I needed specific voice prompts recorded for one of our programs and everyone there is, in IT terms, an ID-ten-T.  Yesterday I took the approach of writing to them the same way I would if I were scolding my daughter and they came through.  I should try that more often.

I created a rule last week in Outlook that sends any emails marked 'High Priority' to a folder name 'Low Priority'.  So far, so good.  The people with actual high priority problems don't have time to muck around with useless options.

My sister is getting married this weekend.  This is something of a momentous event as nobody ever thought it would happen.  At 42 she'll wed a man so patient, the Vatican should fast-track him toward sainthood.  Really.  She's a gigantic pain-in-the-ass.  Add to that her advancing MS and I think it's clear it takes a special sort of person to say, "I do".  Always one for drama, her appendix burst last Thursday while she was waiting for a surgeon to diagnose her (not a comment on Ontario's health care, more a comment on the crappy rural hospital she was at) and she spent a few days on IV.  She should be good to go.

I'm planning a sort of personal renaissance for the new year.  Not a New Year's resolution as such, since I've already started, but a life cleanup.  Maybe it's a fancy term for a mid-life crisis, sans Porsche.  I had my fast cars when I was young enough to kill myself with them.  I'm comfortable with whatever label people wish to put on this plan.

First, back on the diet and exercise.  Life provided me with plenty of excuses to slack over the past year.  From death, to injury, to home fixing, to equipment breakage, to various stresses, I've managed to gain back a bit (not much, currently four pounds over last year's best).  I resisted for a while.  I stayed the course.  I bogged down around the same place I always bog down (there's definitely a mental hurdle that needs to be jumped here) right as everything went to shit around me.  I've replaced the broken equipment.  I've given myself some realistic physical goals.

First of all, join something official.  Involve a structured physical activity in my life.  Make the exercise more than just me beating myself up in the basement.  There's a Judo club not far from me.  I've always wanted to go back.  That will kick my ass pretty hard.  I'll take my daughter with, as this will satisfy her wanting to be in TKD with her brother.  Plus, I like the idea of my daughter being able to defend herself against larger people, and TKD is much more limited as a practical means of defense.  Anyway, this is about me.  Train.  Compete.  Maybe win, probably lose.  I'll almost certainly lose until I get below 205 (or at least 100kg if it's metric weight classes), which will be quite a while since I'm such a fat fuck.  IT and pizza do terrible things to a body.

Start writing things.  I don't know why I stopped.  Maybe I've lost "it" and everything I write will suck.  I don't really care.  I need to get back whatever it is I lost.  Whatever it is that's been beaten out of me.

Time to grab life by the horns, throw it to the ground, and make it tap.

Was that too macho?

< BUT WAIT! There's more! | Is this gonna work? >
Various | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Yeah. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 06:55:13 AM EST
IT and pizza do terrible things to a body.

Amen. I've noticed that on my days off, I hardly eat. When I'm at work, I find myself wandering to the crapateria or the vending machines several times a day for no real reason. It's certainly not hunger driving me there. Probably a combination of boredom and the need to feel like I've done something. Finishing a bag of chips may not be an accomplishment to be proud of, but it's better than saying I shuffled this pile of bits from column one to column three and interfaced column four with column two. Bleh.

Also, I've found that I've started writing more now that I've forced myself to start reading more. And I forced myself to start reading more by forcing myself to do the same thing I did when I used to read all the time. I set up an album either on the iPod or CD player and grab a book and don't get up until the album is done playing. Sometimes I even play a second one in a row just because I realize I enjoy it.

Yeah, that's a time sucker, but it's working. Not only am I more apt to want to pick up the guitar afterwards, but a day or so after I find myself wanting to write more. I guess I'm just one of those people that needs stimulus in order to create.

Don't know if that'll help you with your desire to write, but it sure helped me. I've went from sitting staring blankly at a screen for an hour or so to actually having so much to write that I can't keep up with the thoughts again.

accomplishment by garlic (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 07:00:32 AM EST
this was a key factor in me choosing not to go into IT. it's important, but as a support task, not as the actual end product.

Accomplishment is a weird deal in IT. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 07:07:22 AM EST
You can create the most whiz-bang doodly-do awesome app of all time that people praise you for and tell you how much time it's going to save and give you all sorts of accolades and you feel nothing personally about it.

Then you can code up a stupid simple web page that no one notices, and feel like you actually did something.

Confusing sometimes. But, meh.

a mid-life crisis, sans Porsche by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 08:18:14 AM EST
Around HuSi, that means getting a new mountain bike.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I can't see that happening by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 08:47:32 AM EST
Too far to bike to work, too little time to bike for recreation.

It's a mid-life crisis! by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 10:07:02 AM EST
It's not supposed to be practical!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Motorcycles cost more than bicycles. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 10:50:41 AM EST
If you're going for not-practical. And you live further north than me, so it'd be DOUBLY un-practical.

You = Phil. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 10:51:26 AM EST
Thought I should clarify.

Sorry by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 03:29:15 PM EST
I've lost too many people to motorcycles.  Non-practical does not equal death wish.

I could refute that by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 04:23:55 PM EST
with stories of the millions of bikers who never go down at any speed greater than parking lot/training speeds, but this really isn't the place for it.

Let's not compare safety by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Oct 08, 2008 at 02:42:31 AM EST
Between cars and bikes.  I can afford the gas to drive my car to work, why add risk?

Like I said. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Oct 08, 2008 at 02:56:58 AM EST
This isn't really the place for it. As a motorcyclist, I have to learn to accept that "deathtrap" is pretty much the commonly accepted way to refer to a motorcycle. I don't think death is the only outcome from riding a cycle, but I'm also not one to tell people they have to ride one.

Misread by duxup (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 01:21:33 PM EST
I misread the line:

Time to grab life by the horns, throw it to the ground, and make it tap.

Instead I read:

Time to grab life by the horns, throw it to the ground, and make it take a nap.

I know you have children so it didn't seem that illogical.

____
Well by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 03:29:49 PM EST
That would at least have been less overtly macho.

Various | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback