Print Story Not a slow news day
By ucblockhead (Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 08:03:48 AM EST) (all tags)
Lots of interesting stories.

The Tao is called the Great Mother:
empty yet inexhaustible,
it gives birth to infinite worlds.

It is always present within you.
You can use it any way you want.

Looks like Fosset got et by coyotes.  He was probably dead at the time, though, and there are much worse things.

Brings up the old question of whether it is better to live a full, dangerous life or a boring , safe one.  As the old saying goes, I want to die in my sleep like grandpa, and not screaming in terror, like his passengers.

(Note: This is a joke.  No actual grandfathers in the khead clan died in this manner.)

Here we see a result of the credit crunch.  Of course, if California didn't run its budget in an utterly insane manner, this wouldn't be an issue, so it is hard to say who is the victim here.

Well, strike that.  The victims are those driving over shaky bridges and having to share a single pencil with 39 other students.

The khead household debate scorecard:

Me: meh
Wife: meh
Kid: I WANT TO WATCH CURIOUS GEORGE!!  LET'S PLAY MONOPOLY!!! I DON'T WANT TO GO INTO TIME OUT!!!

Apparently, they finally have proof that Diet coke kills sperm.  Mythbusters did all the other myths, but oddly enough missed this one.

Now that would have made good TV!

Speaking of which, is there a new TV season?  I presume so, because we had the biyearly download of the first episode of Survivor from Amazon because they change the name every season and the Tivo misses it.

Dear Amazon: stupid interface: It is really idiotic to require me to go through the streaming video player to buy something to download my Tivo.  There is no sane reason I should need to go find the latest flash player to give you money.

< on finances | My old rules, and my new rules. >
Not a slow news day | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
proof that diet coke by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 08:10:28 AM EST
what ? Sure, RTFA, but you gotta tell us a bit more here ;)

Also, blame CA voters for all the props concerning tax increases..

fixed by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 08:14:30 AM EST
Trouble is that in CA, it takes a 2/3rds majority to pass a tax, so we always get bonds instead.

Note that we don't stop spending.  We just borrow instead of of actually using our own money.  Now that we suddenly can't borrow, we're fucked.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

surely by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 08:25:39 AM EST
yellowy and pecky had an opinion of the debate.
Chickens by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 08:43:23 AM EST
I don't know about where you come from, but us kheads don't let chickens in the house.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
My dog... by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 08:29:07 AM EST
had much the same opinion of the debate as your kid did. He tried to get us to play, and, failing that, lay down on the couch, sighed, and groaned loudly.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

After getting a dog by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 10:38:40 AM EST
And observing some friends who had kids, I came to the conclusion a few years back that there was essentially no real difference between puppies and babies up until babies were, say, about 1. Thing is though, as I continue to observe this, the upper age for the kids keeps getting pushed higher and higher.

Ours by ana (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 10:44:23 AM EST
had the non-verbal passive-aggressive teenager thing down pat.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Some sort of study demonstrated. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 11:32:04 AM EST
large breed dogs tend to have the same mental capacity as kids around the age of seven years old, they just lack the ability to vocalize words.

Having been around a lot of kids and a lot of large breed dogs, I'm gonna say that study was flawed. I think it's more along the lines of twelve to thirteen.

The more articles I read like that. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 08:29:33 AM EST
the more certain I become that the entire government is run by a bunch of people acting like teenagers with their first credit card.

they give teenagers credit cards? by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 08:51:49 AM EST
Damn. I don't think I got my first credit card until I was 23. And that was only because it was the Amazon card and they offered me $30 off of my purchase.

Yeah. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 08:55:00 AM EST
I didn't get a credit card until I was in my twenties either, but the kids in Sioux Falls when I moved here ALL had them. Anybody over sixteen? It was like some type of requirement. Minimum two cards, because you had to have one maxxed out at all times to be k00l!

yeah, that's a culture I totally don't understand by gzt (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 09:45:38 AM EST
The very idea of spending money you don't have like that is completely incomprehensible to me. Esp. if you're a friggin' teenager with no money. I don't even understand how a teenager could even spend that much.

The stories I could tell. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 10:14:01 AM EST
The kids in this town when I moved here were INSANE with money. Mom and dad gave them everything, and they DEMANDED MORE. And got it. Every time.

It was so different from where I was before that I never could understand it. I'm STILL trying to figure out how that happened.

I guess I stayed in a good ol' sane part of Iowa by gzt (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 12:01:09 PM EST
I knew some spoiled brats, but none like that. Hell, I went to a college filled with filthy rich children of priviledge, and they may have been a little like that, but they wouldn't rack up credit card debt because it was all paid for with ready money. Those rich bastards. I even balked at going to a $2 dollar student rock show with this girl because I was skint. Probably for the best in the end, the bands were prolly indie wankers with acoustic guitars and tight corduroy pants pretending to look drab. I think I had stolen vegetables and bread for dinner that night.

Sounds about right. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 12:19:27 PM EST
These kids I know, mom and dad covered everything for them anyway, so having a credit card was just an easier way for their parents to deal with things than having to hand them money all the time.

Including that slimy little bastard that ruined a perfectly good custom shop Ibanez guitar and just TOLD his parents they needed to buy him a new one. At the same time I busted my ASS for a year and a half to buy an el-cheapo Epiphone just so I had something playable. I'm never going to forgive that rat bastard.

Hah by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 09:06:59 AM EST
They'd give a six year old a credit card if they could get away with it.

I was 21 when I got my first card.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Me too, the rumor was they discriminated based by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 01:02:32 PM EST
on college major, engineering 21, English 35.

Interesting article the other week by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 02:44:21 PM EST
lifetime earnings adjustment by degree subject
Quick summary: Health/Law/Econ  degree is ~+25%, Education +2%, Arts is actually negative 3%.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
if Fosset was eaten by coyotes by dr k (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 10:25:54 AM EST
that means the guy I have locked in my basement is someone else. Dammit, what am I supposed to do now?

:| :| :| :| :|

You could make him write you a new joke by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 12:49:57 PM EST

Just sayin'.

Mythbusters by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 04:43:17 PM EST
They couldn't handle the coke thing. They mess up half of their shows anyway.

Chill out, snowflake.