Print Story on cooling out a bit
By clock (Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 05:00:17 AM EST) (all tags)
things and other stuff.

i'm thinking about a lot of stuff lately and most of it isn't politics.  it's not worth the time.  but i am thinking about the explosion of the financial industry and i'm losing patience with it.  i'm not interested in blame or punishment.  i'm interested in solving the problem.  and not the credit problem or the issues facing wall street today but the root cause.  which is greed, stupidity and 28 year old MBAs with more hubris than brain cells.  i hate the idea of calling for regulation, but if anybody needs it, it's these fucks.  i want something painful and invasive.  a colonoscopy that will last for decades.  maybe i'll complain in the other direction someday, but let's give it a shot first.

i'm also giving a lot of thought to where we're headed.  the idea of a "greater depression" and the potential for a sort of renaissance intrigues me.  my mind has been focused on some sort of collapse for some time now.  this "correction" of sorts.  the idea of the global village is nice, but impractical.  i have no facts, only my gut.  it will be interesting to see what happens when we have to depend on our physical neighbors again.  there is a desire for community and we're herd animals by nature (i think).  let's see if we can still foster local community and salvage some of what our grandparents knew.  bottom line:  i think we're all gonna have to get handy with a hammer and get back in the garden.  "fresh" fruit from chile isn't going to be on the menu for long.

amidst all of this i'm thinking about music distribution, publishing of literature and the future of art.  we're at a point of change.  or in the middle of it.  or it already happened and we're just now figuring it out.  any of those is fine with me.  i read a great article in the NYT about the end of book publishing.  it had some interesting points and i was quite inspired by it.  "no one goes into publishing to publish danielle steele."  that's gold right there people.  pure gold.

but speaking of publishing, i did post a new tune on ye olde blog.  dig it if you're so inclined and let me know what you think.  the hurricane really set some things back, but i'm catching up slowly.

i think i'll do nanowrimo this year.  an idea is floating around and is begging to be caught.  if i can finish 50k words on lunch hours alone, i'll do it.  if it requires more than that, i'm sunk!  there just aren't enough hours in my day.  i take a lot of care to fill them with the right things. mostly.

we have a vacation planned for the first week of november.  it involves west texas, camping and elevations of 5000+ ft.  i really am having trouble imagining something that i need more!

also, attention lm infidel!  i read your blog post about libertarians and christians.  i'm not really either of them, but i thought i had a grasp of some of the basics.  either your essay assumes too much knowledge or i'm borderline illiterate.  i didn't "get it."  i don't agree with the tact taken by the one commenter i saw, but at the same time i didn't walk away feeling like i'd picked something up.  this is more a criticism (potentially) of my reading comprehension, but i did read it three times.  color me confused.

the rest of my thoughts are more jumbled than this, if you can believe it, so i'll go now.

< sounds like the people upstairs are teaching their dog to bark to "carmen" | Sweet ride. >
on cooling out a bit | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Greed Is Fine. by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 06:02:29 AM EST
It's Stupidity That Hurts.
The big problem with Wall Street isn't that it's greedy-- it's that it keeps making the same mistakes over and over. Each cycle, the masters of finance start out with reasonably good products and good intentions, only to get swept away by their success. They become arrogant, take too many risks and begin to believe their own marketing spiels. Then, when the cycle turns against them and the risks turn sour, they try to cover it up and begin lying to their customers, to regulators and to each other. Trust erodes, and the whole thing collapses.

...To some, that may be a story of greed. To me, it looks more like old-fashioned incompetence.

And, from the NY Times:

The financial and economic news since the middle of last month has been really, really bad. And what’s truly scary is that we’re entering a period of severe crisis with weak, confused leadership.

...Henry Paulson, the Treasury secretary, thought he could get away with letting Lehman Brothers, the investment bank, fail; he was wrong.

...even before Lehman’s fall, the economy, which has been sagging since last year, was falling off a cliff.

...The House will probably vote on Friday on the latest version of the $700 billion bailout plan ... I hope that it passes, simply because we’re in the middle of a financial panic, and another no vote would make the panic even worse.

...For the fact is that the plan on offer is a stinker — and inexcusably so. The financial system has been under severe stress for more than a year, and there should have been carefully thought-out contingency plans ready to roll out in case the markets melted down. Obviously, there weren’t: the Paulson plan was clearly drawn up in haste and confusion.

...One thing’s for sure: The next administration’s economic team had better be ready to hit the ground running, because from day one it will find itself dealing with the worst financial and economic crisis since the Great Depression.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Where and when in West Texas are you thinking? by atreides (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 06:09:01 AM EST
Welsh Girl and I have been knocking around the idea of going back out to Marfa before the spud comes...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

the week of november 3rd... by clock (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 06:26:33 AM EST
...and we'll be heading to the davis mountains state park.  stopping for a night at enchanted rock on the way out and maybe lost maples on the way back.  we'll pm you the itinerary to see if we can't cross paths!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Woot! I shall contact the Basilissa... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 06:54:13 AM EST
i like. by ana (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 06:26:44 AM EST
i noticed your upload last night during a certain *cough* political program, and downloaded and played it. i like it a lot. do keep up the good work.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

thanks! by clock (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 06:29:46 AM EST
i didn't watch.  and you people made it tough not to pay attention to the noise.

foolz!!!

keep watching...more to come, musically!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

book publishing. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 06:29:21 AM EST
I read an interesting article somewhere that, stupid me, I didn't save a link to because I figured I was the only person in the world interested in it, about how traditional publishing houses are already beginning to feel a little bit of crunch from eBooks and the like. It was also tied up with some concerns about book design. Things like font choice, headers/footers, title page formatting and all those sorts of things and how some eBook readers force those to be the same for every book and that that's a concern for those who've spent a lifetime developing ways to format books based on the intended audience. It was an interesting read though. If I find it again, I'll drop a link.

please do! by clock (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 06:30:58 AM EST
stuff like that is fascinating to me.  it's like the cover art of albums shrinking to CDs and then exploding into nasty flash websites and blogs.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Currently searching. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 06:44:33 AM EST
But all I'm coming up with is boring crap about business models and bottom lines. Maybe I've still got it saved in my history at home.

color me interested by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Oct 04, 2008 at 04:55:37 AM EST
as a former worker in the dead tree trenches, who thinks a book is more than just its content. I've read plenty of doom-and-gloom about the publishing industry, and don't get me wrong, it's plenty fucked up, but I've yet to see anything beat it so far.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
Nadda. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Oct 04, 2008 at 05:47:43 PM EST
Must have gotten lost in one of my paranoid history wipes.

Unfortunately I think I got the link from some deep hell on a message board. I can't even remember WHICH message board at this point.

bummer by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Oct 05, 2008 at 02:40:12 PM EST
Thanks for looking though.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
Sounds good to me by herbert (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 07:22:11 AM EST
You mean these eBooks are doing proper semantic markup like HTML was supposed to be, and leaving the formatting up to the reader?

Give it six months and they will invent some ebOok version of a font attribute and a blink tag.

Yep. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Oct 03, 2008 at 08:19:39 AM EST
The basic gist was that books give the publisher the ability to format any way they see fit, and eBooks were forcing publishers to stick to one style and not allowing them the "artistic flexibility" to "pursue relevant format changes to allow the author's vision to shine through."

So, you're probably right. Once they realize eBooks don't have to be as static as the written page, look for full color blinking words and ridiculous fonts and layouts.

on cooling out a bit | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback