Print Story Operation: Make the controller lose control.
By nightflameblue (Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 07:13:15 AM EST) (all tags)
It's a go.

Yesterday I received in the mail two standard issue Annoy-A-Trons. Small, inconspicuous, magnetized. I came back to work after hours to place them.

Then I realized that the key format had changed YET AGAIN and nobody told me until I showed up to do some evening work.

So, I improvised. In order to get into WahWah's office, I ended up having to go grab the janitor's keys from his super-secret-stealth hiding location, known otherwise as his upper left desk drawer. Upon gaining access, the placement session began.

I started with one hidden in the base of WahWah's signed football, and one under the desk. Then I closed my eyes and sat there waiting. I could hear, immediately, right where they were. I moved the one in the football display above the cabinets. Again, I could hear where it was immediately. Getting ambitious, I pulled two ceiling tiles and placed one on the top surface of each of the fluorescent light fixtures. Replacing the tiles and taking the chair again, I sat, eyes closed, and waited.

When the beeps came, they were loud, and completely non-directional. When the second beeper went off, it sounded like it came from beneath the desk. Perfect misdirection.

This morning there has been little acknowledgment of the beeps from WahWah. A brief mention to one of the coconspirators who did a good job of pretending to hear nothing when asked to sit and listen. And not much else. But, he's heard it, now it's just a matter of waiting for it to fester.

Gotta say, I dig these little devices. They have a three-way tone switch on them. One tone is your standard issue computer beep sound. One quick chirp. One is a middle-tone, somewhat higher and more annoying. And one is a crickets in a blender type sound, right at the top of the ability of the human ear to perceive. Long and loud. WahWah's are set to standard issue beep. For now. Much easier to redirect his attention to the probably failing battery backup under his desk, or his phone with a low charge, or his desktop with who knows what going wrong with it.

More to come on this one, I'm sure.

< MFC reminder | Lots of planets have a north. >
Operation: Make the controller lose control. | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
UPDATE: by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 09:09:30 AM EST
WahWah is currently sitting at his desk looking in all different directions when the beeps occur, trying to find the source.

Please continue to update, kthx. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 09:10:40 AM EST
This is fun. :)

To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
It is surprisingly fun. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 11:10:55 AM EST
Best twenty bucks I ever threw away on something stupid. Everybody should have an annoy-a-tron or two.

Might I suggest by MartiniPhilosopher (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 09:16:50 AM EST
that you let things be somewhat random over the rest of the week? You know, turn it off tonight so that tomorrow he hears nothing but on the day after that change the beep to one of the other choices. And so forth?

If the point is to drive them crazy in an absolute and complete way that is...

They need to run for a couple days first. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 09:41:09 AM EST
Then be off for a day. Then you can play around.

Already part of the plan. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 11:08:31 AM EST
But, as gzt says, we're going to leave it for a couple of days, wait until he's right at the breaking point, then shut them down. Give it a day or two, then turn them back on. Maybe swap the settings so they go into the horrible high-beep for a day. Switch back. Mix things up a bit.

We thought about setting a pattern so he could track which days it's on and which off, but I think random will be more fun.

I so want to disapprove of this by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 10:15:13 AM EST
It's childish, psychologically distressing and utterly the wrong way of solving a problem which should be remedied by discussion.

In theory.

In reality, I think it's quite cool, he probably deserves it, and he's not amenable to discussion. Curse you, nfb, for undermining my moral high ground.

In the end, it's harmless. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 11:09:58 AM EST
But during the actual experiment itself, the subject may become distressed, disturbed, and mentally unstable. Then, once he's at the brink of tears, broken, ready to give up altogether, we'll march in as a group, and I'll pull out the bugs, turning them off. Then he'll be fine. But it sure is fun to watch the meltdown in progress.

You should walk in by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 04:23:51 PM EST
in Hazmat suits and "bug detectors". Maybe with a red headed woman named "Scully".

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
Now that would just be cruel. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Oct 29, 2008 at 02:39:38 AM EST
Which means I'll consider it.

Update: by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 12:58:22 PM EST
WahWah had to leave early because, "There's something wrong with my office. I don't know. *MUMBLEMUMBLE*" as he walked down the hall.

Devices removed for tomorrow. We may replace them when he goes to work out around noon. We'll see.