Sports Talk: Gopher Football
A few weeks ago the Gophers went on the road to Illinois where supposedly there was a high powered offense waiting for them and they won 27 to 20. Stats wise the Gophers were beaten in many cases but their defense came up when they needed to. That seems to be the big difference between this team, and .... every Gopher team that I have EVER watched, and 20 years beyond that. It is by no means some dominating defense but it is respectable, and yeah it has been pretty ugly all these years without even a respectable defense. Somehow with a week off after that game they actually dipped into the top 25 rankings even.
We ordered digital cable and DVRs from the local cable monopoly. Thoughts and Observations:
- It seems a bit silly to have two DVRs, but the cost of renting the DVR over the just plain old "HD box" (required) for both HDTVs was just a couple bucks a month more. When HDDVRs get cheaper I'll probably just by one and replace them.
- Why the heck does my cable company require an "HD Receiver or HD DVR" to get the "HD package"? Ok money..... Still it seems particularity stupid since I can get HD channels over the air... the AIR, but my cable company needs some special box to transmit HD channels to me. Jerks.
- Both TVs are 32" so I'm not seeing any of the artifacts from super compressed signal that I hear people complain about but I suppose at 32" that is less likely.
- This. http://www.hulver.com/scoop/story/2008/9/30/223819/086
- The inexpensive HDTV I bought a while ago doesn't work with the DVR's universal remote, my other one does fortunately :(
- Selecting shows to record form the TV grid works alright but there could be so many improvements. I set a program to say record all new MythBusters programs (that should be a default on all DVRs). But I can't say just pull up that program as a query and see ALL MythBuster's programs upcoming to sort of cherry pick out the programs that I've missed. No the only way to do that is use the wonky search system / text entry system (a bunch of alphbet wheel like things) that take FOREVER and when you make the query you get all the channels including the SD channels that duplicate everything but in a format you don't want to record. Bah.
John & Kate + 8
A pile of programs from PBS and TPT (the local PBS stations) like Nova, Secrets of the Dead, American Experience, History Detectives.
Some local sports events
The local old krusty sports dudes yelling at each other
Dude Goes to Space
They say you can't take it with you.... so yeah if I had a spare $30 million I don't think I'd feel bad about using it this way. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/12/AR2008101200412.html
I always remind myself when I see experts talking about various financial topics that if they were always right, even if just when they were really sure about what they were saying, they'd be rich and not be talking to me on TV or the radio. Today I remember how many times I heard "We're never going to see oil below $100 a barrel!", or $120, or $140. Recently it dipped below $70. http://www.startribune.com/business/31098859.html
Stupid TV / Internet Marketing
MythBusters is apparently going to do another viral video special, but anyway they do these advert talking about how the show is in partnership with YouTube and they want people to post their requests on YouTube. What the heck? What is this 1999 where they try to integrate hip new web interaction in media where it doesn't belong? Like some reporter awkwardly talking about what is going on in their site's chat room...
My 12 year old Honda is still hanging in there. I knew however the next trip to the local car fix'n place was going to cost me. A year or so ago the manager noted the breaks were due to be replaced but on a small car like that I could probably pull another year out of them. Also three of four heavily worn out tires were having trouble staying inflated (one not so well) and I'd started to pick up a nice vibration from the wheel while driving. Toss in that I was due for a 15,000 mi checkup / fluid flush'n and all tolled it came to something like $900. Oh well. Not great but the car has never failed to start on me (well sans a bad battery requiring a jump) and take me where I needed to go. With no car payment I'm cool with throw'n some dollars into a reliable car.
Best Political Advert Evar
I didn't like the original commercial, but damn this one is awesome. I LOLed for real. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq8Uc5BFogE
|< Samurai swords - government sees sense? | Form or Void >|