Print Story Best Political Advert Evar
By duxup (Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 09:15:09 AM EST) (all tags)
Topics:

College Football
DVRs & TV
Market Experts
Stupid TV / Internet Marketing
Car Fix'n
Best Political Advert Evar

Sports Talk: Gopher Football

A few weeks ago the Gophers went on the road to Illinois where supposedly there was a high powered offense waiting for them and they won 27 to 20.  Stats wise the Gophers were beaten in many cases but their defense came up when they needed to.  That seems to be the big difference between this team, and .... every Gopher team that I have EVER watched, and 20 years beyond that.  It is by no means some dominating defense but it is respectable, and yeah it has been pretty ugly all these years without even a respectable defense.    Somehow with a week off after that game they actually dipped into the top 25 rankings even.

DVR

We ordered digital cable and DVRs from the local cable monopoly.  Thoughts and Observations:

•  It seems a bit silly to have two DVRs, but the cost of renting the DVR over the just plain old "HD box" (required) for both HDTVs was just a couple bucks a month more.  When HDDVRs get cheaper I'll probably just by one and replace them.

• Why the heck does my cable company require an "HD Receiver or HD DVR" to get the "HD package"?  Ok money.....  Still it seems particularity stupid since I can get HD channels over the air... the AIR, but my cable company needs some special box to transmit HD channels to me.   Jerks.

• Both TVs are 32" so I'm not seeing any of the artifacts from super compressed signal that I hear people complain about but I suppose at 32" that is less likely.

• This. http://www.hulver.com/scoop/story/2008/9/30/223819/086

• The inexpensive HDTV I bought a while ago doesn't work with the DVR's universal remote, my other one does fortunately :(

• Selecting shows to record form the TV grid works alright but there could be so many improvements.  I set a program to say record all new MythBusters programs (that should be a default on all DVRs).  But I can't say just pull up that program as a query and see ALL MythBuster's programs upcoming to sort of cherry pick out the programs that I've missed.  No the only way to do that is use the wonky search system / text entry system (a bunch of alphbet wheel like things) that take FOREVER and when you make the query you get all the channels including the SD channels that duplicate everything but in a format you don't want to record.  Bah.
Still I'm not recording as much as I expected.  I heard people say they watch a lot more TV but ... not for me so far.  I just watch what I like now, but still there are most nights when I don't have anything to watch while I tinker on the computer.  Mostly my recording list is:

MythBusters
John & Kate + 8
A pile of programs from PBS and TPT (the local PBS stations) like Nova, Secrets of the Dead, American Experience, History Detectives.
Some local sports events
The local old krusty sports dudes yelling at each other

Dude Goes to Space

They say you can't take it with you.... so yeah if I had a spare $30 million I don't think I'd feel bad about using it this way.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/12/AR2008101200412.html

Market Experts

I always remind myself when I see experts talking about various financial topics that if they were always right, even if just when they were really sure about what they were saying, they'd be rich and not be talking to me on TV or the radio.  Today I remember how many times I heard "We're never going to see oil below $100 a barrel!", or $120, or $140.  Recently it dipped below $70.  http://www.startribune.com/business/31098859.html

Stupid TV / Internet Marketing

MythBusters is apparently going to do another viral video special, but anyway they do these advert talking about how the show is in partnership with YouTube and they want people to post their requests on YouTube.  What the heck?   What is this 1999 where they try to integrate hip new web interaction in media where it doesn't belong? Like some reporter awkwardly talking about what is going on in their site's chat room...

The Car

My 12 year old Honda is still hanging in there.  I knew however the next trip to the local car fix'n place was going to cost me.  A year or so ago the manager noted the breaks were due to be replaced but on a small car like that I could probably pull another year out of them.  Also three of four heavily worn out tires were having trouble staying inflated (one not so well) and I'd started to pick up a nice vibration from the wheel while driving.  Toss in that I was due for a 15,000 mi checkup / fluid flush'n and all tolled it came to something like $900.  Oh well.  Not great but the car has never failed to start on me (well sans a bad battery requiring a jump) and take me where I needed to go.  With no car payment I'm cool with throw'n some dollars into a reliable car.

Best Political Advert Evar

I didn't like the original commercial, but damn this one is awesome.  I LOLed for real.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq8Uc5BFogE

< Samurai swords - government sees sense? | Form or Void >
Best Political Advert Evar | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Cable HDTV by lm (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 10:27:57 AM EST
They like to encrypt the signal so you need a box (or Cable Card or some such nonsense) to decrypt the signal. OTA broadcast isn't encrypted so you don't need the box. The end result is that they get to go back to charging per TV like they did in the bad old days before cable ready televisions took off.

Cicero, The Republic
plus by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Oct 28, 2008 at 04:16:32 PM EST
if people have cable internet, but not cable TV, it's more difficult to steal.

DVRs by garlic (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 10:39:52 AM EST
I have one HD Tivo with our one TV. I had Tivo before hd tv, and I refused to upgrade to hd until the hd tivos were reasonably priced. Right now new they are $300, and refurbished $180 (with monthly service fees).

Tivo searches on title can work similarly to what you're mentioning, but the trick (in the Tivo anyway) is to tell it you don't get the SD version of the channel if you only watch in HD.

Ah yes by duxup (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 11:01:29 AM EST
The SD versions.  I wish I could tell my DVR or the whole system in general that if there is an SD and HD version of the same channel... just ignore the SD version.

____
you definately ought to be able to do this. by garlic (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 06:43:16 PM EST
that's what I've done with my tivo. I have an antenna and cable because initially I was getting HD over the air. But i just got a cable card so now I have 4 versions of the broadcast channel, sd ant, hd ant, sd cab, and hd cab

$900 is cheap by cam (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 12:34:15 PM EST
replacing one tyre sets me back about $550. God forbid they touch any electronics.

cam

Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic
Yeah by duxup (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Oct 26, 2008 at 04:01:38 AM EST
I'm fairly comfortable with the place I take my car considering I don't know much about cars.  They seem ok in terms of prices and doing what is needed without a lot of crap padded on.

____
Bluff by Herring (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Oct 26, 2008 at 02:56:50 PM EST
There are no electronics in your car.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
most useless electronics evar by cam (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Oct 26, 2008 at 04:59:05 PM EST
Price of oil by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Oct 26, 2008 at 03:55:26 AM EST
OPEC policy has been to price a barrel between $20 and $60 (above $60, it encourages things other than widescale burning of oil without thought of consequences, at least in USians). While under $100 is nice (and I have little faith in the previously-almighty greenback to keep it there), it isn't anywhere in the "controlled" region.

Wumpus

John and Kate + 8 by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Oct 26, 2008 at 09:37:14 AM EST

Kate is a babe.

She's not bad at all by duxup (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Oct 26, 2008 at 10:13:21 AM EST
She's looking less tired now that the kids are older too.  Not that I can blame her, I couldn't handle that.  The fact that she still is sane is amazing.  The noise... omg just think of the noise.

____
That show is my favorite by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Oct 26, 2008 at 06:49:06 PM EST
<o>war-time combat documentary, ever. Those kids, while cute, are insane little dudes and dudettes, running 24/7. I have trouble keeping up with my nephew and niece, and can't imagine what it's like multiplied times four.

Best Political Advert Evar | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback