Print Story A ring and a throne
Money
By georgeha (Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 04:56:29 AM EST) potty talk, tanks (all tags)
or how I spent my Saturday.

Plus, Death Traps, Talk to me, succumbing to the cold, happy anniversary, and less.

Poll: Which traits indicate a false, anti-American?

I finally succumbed to the cold. It was 57 degrees in our house Monday morning, time to turn on the heat. Some year we'll make it to Halloween, or Thanksgiving.

It was a good, almost boringly normal weekend, despite a chicken pox scare. Seven year old showed us a lot of  bumps on her Friday night, we were afraid they were chicken pox (despite the vaccine), but they didn't progress, so they're probably just flea bites or something. Regardless, we kept from her swimming on Saturday.

Saturday was the monthly gaming meet, but twelve year old wanted to sell Girl Scout cookies on the street, so I skipped it. We sold three boxes. It wasn't totally unproductive, I roasted some coffee, cleaned up the garage a bit, and discovered my non-working bike horn wasn't due to it not getting 12 volts. It's going to need further debugging, I suspect my riding season is over for the year.

More importantly, I also replaced the wax ring on the upstairs toilet, once again we were getting a leak. I suspect part of the problem is that the hole is too high, I really had to push the throne down a little to make a good fit. Next time I'll add a 1/8th inch support to help make it more level.

Saturday night we watched a movie, most of it at least, It was Talk to Me, a story about a black excon who becomes a DJ in DC in the 60's. It was good, a period piece about a R&B station when things got really bad.

I also finished a book, Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II. This may be the geekiest World War II memoir I have ever read. Most memiors (Band of Brothers, Men in Company K) are focused on combat, the men start as privates or lieutenants and end up promoted after several battles. Cooper starts as a Lieutenant, finishes as a Lieutenant, and never fires a shot in anger. He's no coward, he's fired upon and shelled, and almost fired at people. He was Ordnance Liaison officer, tasked with finding each damaged/destroyed tank, writing down it's location and serial number and amount of damage, and then returning to his divisional headquarters to get replacement tanks. The tricky part is that he's often starting behind enemy lines during an armored offensive, and he and his jeep driver must travel twenty to thirty miles alone, in the dark, with roving Germans, until they get back to relative safety.

It's nearly two books in one, a well founded rant against the military bureaucracy that made the Allies use the Sherman tank, and personal stories about fighting in Europe in World War II. You can learn more than you probably want to know about the many weaknesses and few strengths of the Sherman tank, as well as other tanks and other equipment.

Today was the first day to scrape the windshield, I thought I had lost my scraper/brush, but it was just in the trunk.

It's an early day, too, seven year old's school is out at 1:00, so I'm taking a half day. I'd like to winterize my bike and put it away, or make beer, or roast coffee, I may do none, since I'm tired from waking up at 2:00.

In economic news, layoffs are coming, they announced them the day after the 70th anniversary of xerography. I'm hoping enough people in our division take an early retirement package, that way we can avoid layoffs. I don't know what the timeframe for that is. The bright spot in our finances is that the project I'm on is doing well in the marketplace.

Politically, I'm amused by the ineptness of the Republicans, but then, I'm apparently not a real American, living in the anti-American part of the country. Which traits indicate a false, anti-American?

< A smugglers tale and a Danish thriller. | ORLY? >
A ring and a throne | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It got cold quick here ... by me0w (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 05:18:56 AM EST
And it snowed the other day. I think it is time to go out and buy a winter coat.

ring ring by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 05:24:11 AM EST
the Mrs had issues with the wax rings when she replaced 2 of our toilets. She did one, and it wouldn't stop a little leak. So she gave up on the rings and spent the extra $ (I dunno, maybe $5 or $10) for the rubber gasket-dealie and put those on instead.

I'm not aware of those by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 05:28:38 AM EST
I did install a new connnector to the cast iron drain pipe last time, it was a PVC/rubber thingie.

something like by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 06:58:51 AM EST
http://www.fluidmaster.com/html/connect_products_7500.html this I'm guessing..

Ooh, nifty by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 07:02:58 AM EST
I'll look it up in 2013.

Amazon said by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 07:06:30 AM EST
it was $5, not too bad.

Planning your next toilet break down :)

Isn't a true American by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 06:24:51 AM EST
One that has sympathy with right wing separatist movements whether from 1860s or today?

The British had a good modifaction of the Sherman, the Firefly, which at least solved the problem with the crap gun and was competitive with the Panthers and Tigers at least in terms of armament.

The firefly was a darn good mod by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 06:28:39 AM EST
and since I talked to furriners (Canadians and Ukians and French sorts) on a regular basis, I'm sure I'm not a real American.

Don't worry by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 06:40:32 AM EST
Real Americans (TM) sound like right cunts according the Palin Purity test. Thank god it looks like there isn't enough Real Americans (TM) in the US to win the election.

I think the market is ensuring that by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 06:42:07 AM EST
when will the Dow be half it's height?

Sherman underrated by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 08:20:35 AM EST
The Sherman seems to be a good tank in general terms. It was a good balance between quality and quantity.

It's hardly surprising that it came off worse against Tiger tanks, as a medium tank against a heavy tank is unlikely to come off better.

The Sherman suffered from design flaws, but most of those were addressed during the lifetime of the tank, and that's not to say that the other side were perfect either. The Panther had engine problems and burned easily to start, and the T-34s only defeated German tanks by numerical superiority.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Put it this way by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 11:32:39 AM EST
It was a hell of a lot better than any of the medium tanks the British had until towards the end of 1944 with the Comet.

It was a good medium tank by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 01:57:15 PM EST
but the dang Germans didn't read the American doctrine, and kept sending heavy tanks against it.

oooh WW2 tank flamewar by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 02:34:55 PM EST
The t34 had vastly superiour armour and gun to every piece of German armour in 1942. The kick-assitude of the tiger etc. was a direct response to the inadequacy of German tanks against the t34.

Mind you the 1942 T34 crews were incredibly poorly trained, the t34 did not initially have an onboard radios, and they were incredibly poorly deployed for the first year or so of the war.

Burning on... not many Tigers by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #21 Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 12:39:54 AM EST
Only about 1500 in combat as opposed to 6,000 Panthers.

The Panther was the true response to the T-34, being a medium as opposed to heavy tank, simple to produce and maintain, with sloped armour (only seen on the Tiger II - a good tank with too small an engine).
The Panther, like almost all tanks had a bad start (at Kursk), but the Germans fixed most of the problems to the point where I'd rather be driving a Panther than a T-34 in 1 tank on 1 combat.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
sure by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #22 Sat Oct 25, 2008 at 06:58:52 AM EST
In a 1 Panther vs. 2 T34 fight I'd probably rather be in the Panther for that matter. But how about a Panzer III, which was what they were using in 1941...

I'm just saying the T34 wasn't only good because of raw numbers, for quite a while it was technically the best tank on the battlefield. Even by the end of the war it was still a decent tank.

The Sherman was in the inventory into the 80's by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 09:25:31 AM EST
IIRC. It was the only air-droppable armor.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Not a Chaffee or Bulldog? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 11:08:20 AM EST

A Sheridan perhaps? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 11:16:43 AM EST
In service with the 82nd until 1997. It had a bug ass missile firing gun.

Yep. That's it. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 11:38:37 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yes by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Oct 29, 2008 at 01:15:21 AM EST

that's a stretch by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 01:26:02 PM EST
Halloween, maybe but Thanksgiving?

Click
We're giving our girls good stories to tell by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 01:54:30 PM EST
when they get older.