Print Story An Invite to One and All: Weetacon Meetup
Husi Stock
By Gedvondur (Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 06:17:54 AM EST) HuSi Stock, Weetacon (all tags)
Its been a couple of years since HuSi Stock and I have an opportunity to invite all of you to my home state for a get together.  It will be different than HuSi Stock, no camping and such.

Every year my wife hosts an event for her Internet and our RL friends in Green Bay.

This year I would like to invite you all to the event as well.

What:  Weetacon in Green Bay, Wisconsin

When:  March 6-8, 2009

Schedule:  We are still making the exact schedule, but here's a few things you can count on:

1.  Hayride and Booyah Party at the Rock "K" Ranch south of Green Bay.  Transportation to and from are included in the fee for this one.  Plenty of my Mother's excellent Booyah, brats, and Pineapple Fluff.  We charge for this one to cover the costs of food and the rental of the bus to get us all safely there and back.  We are still working out how much it will cost, but it usually isn't too bad.  We don't make any profit on this, just covering the expenses.  This hay ride is usually the highlight of the weekend, lots of fun.

2.  Bad Bar Night at the Sardine Can on Broadway in Green Bay.  Walking distance to the Hotel.

3.  Other Wacky Hijinx To Be Determined.

Hotel Information:

Host Hotel:  St. Brendan's Inn
                      234 South Washington Street
                      Green Bay, WI 54301

Toll free (866) 604-7474 (must make reservations via phone)
Group "Weetacon"
St. Brendan's contact: Leslie

Rates
$89.50 Standard Room
$79.50 Snug (only two of these in the entire hotel, both of which have been blocked for our group)

To reserve a room, you'll need a credit card, but they DO NOT charge a deposit or hold any fees on this card. You can cancel this room at any time without a charge, up until the day before your arrival.

All rooms come with complimentary breakfast in the pub, free parking, and free wireless internet in the pub and lobby. Saint Brendan's rooms all contain jetted hot tubs, rainfall showers, cherry antique-looking furniture, and queen beds. All rooms are non-smoking, but smoking IS allowed in the pub downstairs.

If you want a king bed, two beds or want a smoking room, there is a Quality Inn and Suites directly across the street from Saint Brendan's at 324 South Washington Street. As of 10/01/08, the rates via Expedia and Hotels.Com is identical to the group rate for a snug room at St. Brendan's ($80), so we have not contracted a group rate through them. Because of the convenient location, Quality Inn is the recommended overflow hotel when St. B's is sold out (which is very likely to happen). Reserve early!

Sadly, we really can't provide "crash couch space" for people, there are just too many and my house isn't that big.

Why Should I go To Weetacon?!?

Well, all of the people that go to Weetacon are very relaxed and accepting.  We have a great time, lots to drink, good food and good company.  Usually we have about 30 people from all over the US and Canada, including a fair number of Californians who make us have this event in the winter every year so they can experience snow.  It really is a heck of a good time, and lots of fun.  My mother, who is an awesome cook provides us vittles for the Hay Ride and my father helps out as well.  I usually even bring some home brew beer to augment the Doctor and Yukon Jack.  You gotta keep warm, doncha know!

Here's the Bad Bar video from Year 1 of Weetacon, filmed at Harry the Hipster's.  These videos are not necessarily safe for work.

Weetacon Year 1

Here's the Bad Bar video from Year 2, as an advertisement for Year 3.

Weetacon Year 2

Here's the Bad Bar video from Year 3, filmed at the Sardine Can.  I'm in it in a full beard.

Weetacon Year 3

Lastly, here is a site where Weetabix (Wendy my wife) is posting information regarding Weetacon.  I will reflect changes as they are made to this story as well.  Product Anarchy Thread

In closing, I really hope some of you can join us this year.  I met many of you at HuSi Stock and I think you would all fit in just fine at Weetacon.  Everyone is there to have a good time and the party is usually the highlight of the year.  Hope to see you there!

p.s.  If you could vote this to the front page for easy tracking, I would appreciate it.

< update | Things that make you whatever. >
An Invite to One and All: Weetacon Meetup | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I fail it by Phage (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 07:16:41 AM EST
I'm not entirely sure where Wisconsin is.
I had always thought 'Booyah' was a non-verbal expression of victory.

But...dammit...I would love to be able to go. Have agreat time everyone !
Voted to FP.

Heh by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 08:58:50 AM EST
Well, rest assured the airlines know where Wisconsin is.  :-)

As to booyah... linky

Hope you can come some other time.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
The Satrapic couple will more than likely demur... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 07:39:31 AM EST
...as the Basilissa will be even more pregnant and unable to fly at that point. Sure we could drive, but would you want to be in a car for 21 hours with a woman three weeks away from popping? I think not!

However, the Basilissa has shown an interest in traveling more and possibly meeting more of these so called "Husites" I have so often spoken of. Since her experiences with the six she has met have been most lovely, she wishes to possibly meet more. So, is Weetacon 2010 good for you?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Certainly by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 08:59:57 AM EST
Your circumstances are certainly understandable.  We look forward to seeing you and your lovely wife in 2010.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
What is Weetacon? by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 08:02:31 AM EST
I'm curious how you got that name.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

It is derived by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 09:01:12 AM EST
It is derived from my wife's nick, Weetabix.

From Weetabix, we get Weetacon with "con" being slang for convention.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
count me in. by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 02:12:01 PM EST
I loves me a road trip.

Click
Cool! by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 02:40:55 PM EST
Sign up and get your hotel.  I'll let you know costs for the hay ride.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
hmmmm by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Oct 22, 2008 at 04:44:44 PM EST
Google says 15 hours drive time.  What planned events happen on Sunday?

Click
Nothing really by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 03:36:03 AM EST
Sunday is a travel day for most people.  Are you worried about not getting there until Sunday, or missing parts of it getting back?

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
no by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 01:27:02 PM EST
leaving too early but if Sunday is generally a travel day that works too, that means one less day I have to request off.

Click
I'm down! by CountSpatula (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 03:17:46 PM EST
Green Bay's only a short drive away, and I know I can find floorspace either there or in Appleton.  Count me tentatively in, depending on me actually getting the vacation time.

Organics.
"I've never been more afraid of a diary comment EVAR." - RapidHamster
Excellent by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 05:10:16 PM EST
Look forward to having you!

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
On my calendar by LoppEar (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 03:17:48 PM EST
See you there!

Very good! by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 05:10:52 PM EST
It will be good to see you again!

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
For those outside USia... by lolwhat (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Oct 22, 2008 at 02:20:10 AM EST
The hotel's phone number is:

+1 920 884 8484
If cigarette packs are required to have pictures of diseased lungs, college brochures should be required to have photos of grads working at Starbucks.

we're in by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Oct 22, 2008 at 02:24:44 PM EST
we might drive up and get a hotel, but being within an hour's driving distance give us no excuse not to be there!

---------
Awesome by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 03:33:42 AM EST
I would get a hotel if I were you.  Either one of the two recommended or there are three others downtown you could try.  They all put you in walking distance of the bar we go to and near where the bus picks you up for the hayride.

Gedvondur

"I love my brain. It's the only organ I can afford to lose." --frijolito
I will do my best by blixco (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Oct 23, 2008 at 03:03:02 PM EST
and at some point, I will do my best to get a goddamn passport and go to London.

Then Canada. Or vice-versa.

BUT FIRST this. Hopefully.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
nick said by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Oct 23, 2008 at 04:07:30 PM EST
"he's from texas, isn't he? has he forgotten about March up here?"

---------
It'll be 90 here by blixco (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Oct 23, 2008 at 04:44:13 PM EST
and -90 there.

I'm versatile!

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Excellent! by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 03:34:40 AM EST
I look forward to you coming!  Let me know if I can help in anyway to ensure your attendance!

Gedvondur