Print Story Chickens
Furries
By ucblockhead (Sat Oct 18, 2008 at 03:53:16 PM EST) (all tags)
A picture.

Colors blind the eye.
Sounds deafen the ear.
Flavors numb the taste.
Thoughts weaken the mind.
Desires wither the heart.

The Master observes the world
but trusts his inner vision.
He allows things to come and go.
His heart is open as the sky.

From left to right: Lulu, Yellowy, Pecky, Aphrodite, Artemis, Ginger.

Having chickens has really shown what a lie a lot of the anti-proposition 2 propaganda is.  These guys move.  Our yard is moderate size.  They have the run of the back yard, which is about half of the quarter acre lot we are on, and they are all over it, rarely sitting down during the day.

Being a goofball is bad for your campaign:

I find that sad.

Pictures like that make me like the man more, though it certainly doesn't change my vote.  Unfortunately, it really doesn't seem to me that the "real" McCain is running.  The saddest part of our electoral system is that it turns people into something else entirely.

I also find it amusing that in 2000, we were told that Gore lost because he appeared cold and emotionless to Bush's "regular guy" while now we are told that Obama is winning because he is calm and rational where McCain is erratic.

There's the real reasons, and there's the reason that the pundit class assigns for the results.  Personally, I think a lot of what is going on is that Rove wasn't a genius, it was just that the Rovian campaign dovetailed with events in 2000 and 2004.  Now the winds have swung the other way and what used to be the path to victory is now the road to defeat.

The real question is: is Obama a genius who correctly scented to true path to victory or is he just lucky.  It's hard to arguing against the idea that he's been a lucky bastard over the last ten years.

I also thing that it is wrong to assign blame to the McCain campaign for the increasingly angry rhetoric coming from a certain segment on the right.  The pendulum is swinging mighty hard.  We are looking at a real electoral majority the likes of which we haven't seen in a generation.  The people on the losing end sense that, and don't like it one bit.

There is an email message from work that is going to make Monday suck.  Fortunately, I never check my work email at home, so I have no idea it is there.

< And for rambling in the new-mown hay. | "Artists & an Old Building in Tokyo" >
Chickens | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Obama is a genius who was lucky by lm (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Oct 18, 2008 at 05:41:48 PM EST
To be fair, I don't know of any modern presidential campaign that is as well organized as the Obama political machine.

That said, if he were not in the right place at the right time, all his organizational skills would be for not. The completely disorganized Clinton machine gave him a real run for the money and, had Clinton been a more likable character, may have prevailed.

I think Machiavelli had it right in the last chapter or so of the prince when he suggested that at best the virtuous prince who makes every decision correctly and pounces on every available opportunity, at best, will probably triumph more often than not. Regardless of the skill and wisdom of this or that person, Fortune will still be Fortune.

Cicero, The Republic
for naught by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 02:51:19 AM EST
I wouldn't correct most people, but you're hyper-literate and our resident philosopher, so you're held to a higher standard.

Oh, no by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 07:34:37 AM EST
I made a type-O.

How embarrassing.

Cicero, The Republic
McCain by duxup (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Oct 18, 2008 at 06:23:52 PM EST
Yeah he and his campaign seem very, not McCain.   Not the dude I even gave a couple bucks to years ago.  Then again he has seemed that way since he has been running, compromising right and left just to win.   I don't even know what he's trying to do now.  It is all negative ads, nothing about him.  The dude isn't trying to sell voters on... ANYTHING now.

I don't believe there are any genius politicians around now.  You take a look at how it all works and there is a lot of luck involved.  You just happen to be the dude who is wearing the right color shirt (we need an outsider, we need someone from the south, or the north)...and you're up for president against a dude who.... well in this case of McCain the default Republican because they've got little else.  I'll give Obama credit for one thing is that he has stayed, or at least smoothly transitioned his message when other campaigns might have gotten scared and flailed about..

I also agree that McCain isn't responsible for the partisan rhetoric.  That BS has been planted for a long time now by a lot of people.   I hope there's a special place in hell for them.

____
how do you protect them from wild critters by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Oct 18, 2008 at 09:17:46 PM EST
like the neighborhood feral cats?
A coop by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 06:31:29 AM EST
They are in a coop at night.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
i meant during the day by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 08:05:32 AM EST
they have one called pecky by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 08:32:16 AM EST
I fear for the lives of the cats that enter that yard.

Click
No threats by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 09:55:47 AM EST
We're too from where the coyotes are, the raccoons are nocturnal and none of the cats I've seen around here appear to be a threat.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
if you look at more photos from the debate by dr k (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Oct 18, 2008 at 09:50:51 PM EST
you will find several of McCain with a protruding tongue. This leads me to believe that he was incorrectly medicated for the evening, or that he is being treated for something that causes involuntary tongue protrusions as a side effect.

:| :| :| :| :|

Either that by ad hoc (4.00 / 3) #11 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 11:13:38 AM EST
That site is hilarious by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 12:01:45 PM EST
I miss the links to that and rense.com (?) from one of my old tin-foil-hat coworkers.  Each one was comedy gold.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
I thought your family was vegetarians? by garlic (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 11:46:42 AM EST

My wife and son are. by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 01:23:28 PM EST
Are vegetarians not allowed to own chickens?

We used to own cats despite having no interest in eating them.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

do you guys eat the eggs? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 01:33:08 PM EST
Yes by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 02:23:57 PM EST
Most vegetarians do. :-)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
and those chickens by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Oct 20, 2008 at 05:54:47 PM EST
will not be good for much but soup, depending on how long they've been laying...

---------