Print Story liquidity crisis creates panic on domestic beer market
Money
By georgeha (Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 07:27:19 AM EST) beer, ACORN, mead, Magdalene (all tags)
strategic mead stockpiles tapped to stabilize the alconomy.

Plus, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, last camping, 12 days off, in a row! late night and less.

Polls closed pending ACORN lawsuit.

Well, that was an exhausting weekend. The girls had no school on Friday or Monday, due to Columbus Day, so I ended up driving them to my parents, making me a little late for work. They were camping Friday-Sunday at the park close to my job, we went up Saturday to spend the night. It was cold, but the four (plus dog) of us slept okay in the tent. We did use a ceramic heater, plugged into the camp outlet (yeah, that sort of place). Later we went back to the beach to hunt for beach glass and met a woman with a black lab who was doing lab things like run into the water to retrieve a tennis ball. Our dog was upset and frustrated at first, the lab wouldn't play with him, and he doesn't like water.

I'm hoping to get Thanksgiving week and Christmas week all off, so I can properly rest and the girls don't have to be shuttled around. Doggone it, I deserve it. I might even get 12 days off in a row, around Christmas.

I ran out of all beer save for a bottle of Arrogant Bastard and a bottle of Sugar Shack earlier this week, not even a can of Old Milwaukee or a bottle of Sam Adams Light. I was able to forestall a panic by having a bottle of raspberry gingermead, it's becoming better and better as the years go on. Still, it was a lot of alcohol to drink in one evening.

In media news, I finished Holy Blood, Holy Grail. It's a long, dry book that was ripped off for the theme of The Davinci Code. It's got all sorts of stuff in it, Jesus was married to Mary Magdelene and had at least one son, the latter two fled to Gaul after the "crucifixion", Jesus's bloodline is still alive, plus Templars, Cathars, the Grail, Essenes and all sorts of outside the mainstream truth. A highbrow DaVinci Code, if you're so inclined.

Last night was expected to be busy, as the oldest has Girl Scouts, but I didn't expect to be busy until 10:30.

She had a Social Studies project due today on the election, and had to have four articles cut out and summarized to hand in. She started with two cut out. It was 10:30 before we were done, I had to encourage her to keep on task all night long.

Being a day after payday, I picked up beer and some other groceries at the store. I got a case of Labatt's brewmasters special, Red Amber, Classic Labatts, Honey Lager and Porter. I was underwhelmed by the Red Amber last night, it tasted like a typical half corn North American mass market beer. I need to brew some real honey lager soon.

Speaking of Girl Scouts, she wants to sell them on our street tomorrow, it looks like the montly gaming meet will be out. Sunday we may even go to North North Tonawanda, Buffalo way.

< We all have our vices. | A solution >
liquidity crisis creates panic on domestic beer market | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I once knew a girl from Tonawanda. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 08:05:33 AM EST
Just thought you'd like to know.

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
It's a decent sized suburb of Buffalo by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 08:18:54 AM EST
very middle class.

We worked at Cedar Point together. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 08:23:09 AM EST
You're not making it easy by georgeha (4.00 / 4) #5 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 08:53:18 AM EST
to avoid double entendres.

...who had a big set of by blixco (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 08:44:47 AM EST
gozanawangas?

(where's the rest of this limerick?)

Or: "Is that Tonawanda? Or just half a ton of her?"

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
When next you are in Tonawanda by dr k (4.00 / 5) #6 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 09:01:16 AM EST
Find a girl that looks like Jane Fonda
She calls herself "Lynne"
And she'll give you a spin
If you tell her your car is a Honda.

:| :| :| :| :|

Fan-fugu-tastic. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 02:16:40 PM EST
I'd give it a seven or more.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
dayum by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 01:07:08 PM EST
They had both days off?

Click
That's why I keep my liquid assets in by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 01:25:07 PM EST
whiskey. Much more po(r)table than beer.

Is Mike keeping up with his riding?
whiskey, that's boiled ruined condensed beer by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 03:41:13 PM EST
right?

Holy Blood, Holy Grail by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 01:32:06 PM EST
It far worse written with regards to non-fiction as Da Vinci Code was with regards to non-fiction. I wouldn't exactly label it as high brow.

Especially since the high brow version of the Da Vinci code is Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendelum.

Cicero, The Republic
I enjoyed Pendulum when i was in a heavy pomo by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 03:36:54 PM EST
phase, though I couldn't finish it a second time.

I can see how being in pomo mood would do that by lm (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 05:33:50 PM EST
Although, I'd interpret it more as a critique of post modernism than actually being post modern.

Regardless, my main point is that it's a few order of magnitudes of high browness higher than Holy Blood, Holy Grail which, IMO, is pretty low brow and aimed at folks that have very limited understanding of the scholarship of any of the fields it touches on.

Although, I have to admit the court case where the authors of HBHG took Dan Brown to court was pretty funny. Both sides argued that the basic plot was factual and, consequently, wasn't subject to copyright.

Cicero, The Republic