Print Story Straightening the curves, flattening the hills
By TheophileEscargot (Thu Oct 16, 2008 at 08:25:27 AM EST) Reading, Watching, ODFG, OBLF, MLP (all tags)
Watching: "Oldboy". Reading: "Throne of Jade". ODGF. Web.

What I'm Watching
Saw cult Korean revenge movie Oldboy. Good movie: loved the brutal fight scene in the corridor. Might be a bit tough to watch for the squeamish: it's not cartoonishly over-the-top like Kill Bill, but near-realistically horrible.

Wish I'd seen it in the cinema though: it's a bit melodramatic and found it a bit hard to suspend disbelief. Could benefit from the lack of distraction and unpausibility of the cinema, though it's low-budget with no impressive effects.

Well worth seeing if you have a certain tolerance for blood and silliness.

Bradshaw, Ebert reviews. WP.

What I'm Reading
Throne of Jade is the second Temeraire book. Series concept: Napoleonic wars with dragons. This one has Laurence and his dragon shipped off to China, in this universe a more formidable nation due to its superior dragonpower.

Still pretty entertaining, but not as good as the last one. Most of the book is spent on a long voyage. The Aubrey/Maturin series is clearly a big influence, and a lot of it seems very familiar from there.

I did like the dragon society aspects. In Great Britain dragons are treated as animals, despite their ability to talk and seemingly superior intelligence: in Imperial China they are treated as similar to people. Hopefully will see more of that in future books.

Again, a little disappointed by the dragon warfare tactics. The dragon carrier ship is apparently large: you'd think it would be escorted by smaller vessels, or at least have a tender.

Operation Don't Get Fatter
Went 18 weeks without weighing myself, and as expected have gained a few pounds. Will be trying to shed a few: probably just aim to lose 4 pounds or so.

Current method: I haven't had any alcohol for a week and have cut down on evening meals: might switch methods if that doesn't work.

I've noticed from the graph I seem to gain weight at a pretty steady rate if I don't weigh myself. Could try adjusting things, but I'm already doing all the easy stuff. Also I have a hunch that this weight gain doesn't come from everyday stuff but occasional blow-outs.

Not quite sure what long-term weight fluctuations are normal. I basically stay between 11 and a half and 12 stone. (161 to 168 lbs). In BMI terms that's 23.1 to 24.1. In percentile terms that's the 25th to the 33rd percentile. (According to Halls.md). I suspect this is pretty normal.

Weight

Web
Images. Microscopic. Birds. Thirsty pelicans. Paddlesteamer under bridge. German brothel decor (slightly NSFW).

YouTube. Debate: Who is... Nuke (animated, real, WP). Numberwang.

Fail as noun.

Conservatism. What Republicans can learn from UK Conservatives. Mourning the New York Sun. Confurvatives: conservative furry forum.

< so I checked out the gym in the office. | A diary >
Straightening the curves, flattening the hills | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oldboy, eh? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Oct 16, 2008 at 08:32:43 AM EST
Next you'll be shooting up a uni (there were supposed to be references to Old Boy in the Virginia Tech shooter's manifesto).

Apparently by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Oct 16, 2008 at 08:38:24 AM EST
That was a hammer. The protagonist of Oldboy never uses a gun.

If you read reports of a hammer massacre/suicide in West London, and I don't post again, you might want to start blaming the movie.

It's social blowouts... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Oct 16, 2008 at 09:24:14 AM EST
that disrupt my weight stability.
My weight is pretty stable in daily living.
But a few beers and a nice meal out with friends tends to add a pound or two depressingly easily, especially if the hangover is bad enough to require serious breakfast consumption to get through. If I don't then make the effort to lose it, it just sticks... add that up over a 10 week spell and it's bad news...

Fail by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Oct 16, 2008 at 09:28:00 AM EST
Predicting the future of slang phrases risks epic fail.

My prediction is that in 2030, "epic fail" sounds like "rad", "hep cat" and "cat's pajamas".
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Oy! by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Oct 16, 2008 at 09:40:50 AM EST
What's wrong with hep cat?

Oldboy by blixco (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Oct 16, 2008 at 05:39:58 PM EST
is an old fav here at the house. Well, "old" as in a couple of years. Man, I like that trilogy.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
I find most Korean cinema a bit melodramatic by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 12:08:35 AM EST
The exception is The Host which I think is brilliant. Didn't like the focus on contrived plot twists in Oldboy either.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

My guess by garlic (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 03:10:01 PM EST
is 5% fluctuation is typically. You're slightly lower than that, and so am I (147 to 152), so the math works!