Print Story Has the house been bugged?
By Phil the Canuck (Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 06:21:45 AM EST) (all tags)
Let me start by talking about one of my Great Fears from childhood.

Lice.

I can't stand the thought of them.  The mere mention that someone infected may possibly have shared the same general space as me sets me into a fit of psychosomatic itching.  It all goes back to the social dynamics of the public education jungle.

I was never a cool kid.  I was, however, not so nerdy that I was a routine target of the cool kids.  On occasion I even transcended my station and got invites to an A-list party or two.  It was safe to say that my social standing was shaky and any negative would be pounced upon by the cool kids, making me a target.

Enter the public health nurse.  Every once in a while the powers that be would decide that every kid at school X needed to have someone take the chopsticks to them.  If that was your school, that meant that someone would be coming to your classroom to give you a speech and pick at your head.  Up and down the rows, picking at heads.  There I would sit panicked over the possibility, however slight, that they would find something.  There would be no hiding from your peers if the public health nurse found something.  The walk of shame, and worse, the thought of returning to school after a delousing.  Bumped down to the bottom of the food chain, for sure.

So anyway, it seems that the pre-school daughter of The Wife's friend caught a case of lice about a month ago.  None of us were anywhere near her around the time of her infestation.  However, The Wife paid them a visit Monday and we've now learned that the friend has a case.  The Wife and my daughter spent the day with them.  Have they brought home a case of lice?  Time will tell.

Poor Webby came over to visit last night.  Now the two of us are sitting here scratching phantom itches.
< Esoteric | Thank God for the Fermi Paradox! >
Has the house been bugged? | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Public schools by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 06:28:47 AM EST
A kid at the school my wife teaches at got lice. When sent home, the parents went apeshit and threatened to sue.

Now kids are allowed to come to school with lice.

Gord I hope I can continue to pay for private school.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

My god by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 06:37:01 AM EST
People are stupid.  I suppose private school will be safe until the same thing happens there.

dear god. by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 10:26:53 AM EST
the more i read/hear about public schools today, the more i realize we can't send the dude.

homeschool or private school.  sigh.

Parents by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 11:12:05 AM EST
Parents are much of the problem.  It is depressing the crap they have to do because some parent or other threatened to sue.  Unlike private schools, public ones can't say "take your business elsewhere."
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Lavendar and tea tree oil by Dr H0ffm4n (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 06:31:39 AM EST
Or shaved heads. It's the only way to be sure.

Oh, we're on it by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 06:36:11 AM EST
The whole family will have a turn with some products tonight, just in case.

Hedrin by hulver (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 06:41:44 AM EST
This stuff is absolutely the dog's danglies. No pesticides, works a treat.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Also by hulver (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 06:42:26 AM EST
I hate you Phil, because now I'm itching.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
IAWTC by clock (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 06:47:32 AM EST
fucker!  ew ew ew!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Look by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 07:08:20 AM EST
I understand my itching, there's an outside chance I've been exposed.  But the little fuckers can't crawl through the tubes.

can you PROVE that??? huh? by clock (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 07:21:29 AM EST
and i mean prove that to my scalp right now.  GO!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Just thinking about it is enough by hulver (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 09:48:03 AM EST
Always sets me itching.

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
I used dimethicone on myself about a month ago by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 08:01:34 AM EST
Seems to have worked great. The science behind it is pretty fascinating.

Daily nit combings will also work. But that's quite a lot of effort.

Cicero, The Republic
It's a bad time all around by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 03:20:55 PM EST
just for the creepy-crawlie-ness of it. When Lamb was 3-4 she picked them up at daycare. At the time she had gorgeous long blonde hair, as did SWHTL. The moment I found out I shaved my head and gave my son a crew cut.

Unfortunately, it proved pretty much impossible to get all the nits out of Lamb's hair, and SWHTL promptly got the lice from her. After 3 rounds of killing the lice, picking the nits and still re-catching them, I made them sit down and gave them (almost) the same treatment - lopped their hair down to page boys.

It was the only way, but neither has had long hair since.

Is Mike keeping up with his riding?
That sounds like the friend's situation by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Oct 16, 2008 at 02:27:07 AM EST
She apparently had everyone treated and the house professionally deloused (whatever that means).  Who knows, maybe the daughter brought them home again.

It's especially frustrating because if you read by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Oct 16, 2008 at 03:33:53 AM EST
the labels on the treatments, they're highly toxic. Not the sort of thing you want to apply over and over to a small child's head.

Is Mike keeping up with his riding?
It's especially frustrating because by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Oct 16, 2008 at 03:43:15 AM EST
They freak me out.