Print Story Moral question: shower at the gym.
Law
By gzt (Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 11:07:00 AM EST) gzt, running (all tags)
So, there's a gym I have free access to in my office building. As it gets colder, I'm thinking about running there after work instead of doing so at home.

My question is this: I have a 15 minute train ride from the office to my place. Do I have a moral obligation to my fellow train travelers to shower at the gym before heading home, or can I just put it off until I get home? The train is typically not crowded and it's a short ride.

Actually, now that I think of it, this is a stupid question, there's no way I wouldn't shower before going home, I tend to get completely soaked through when I run or otherwise work out. I'd definitely want to hose off and change immediately. But, still, what are your thoughts about enduring a short train ride near somebody who has evidently just run 5 miles? And what are your thoughts on managing the logistics of this sort of thing?

< Redistribution of Wealth | Attention lm >
Moral question: shower at the gym. | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Aren't you talking about public transportation? by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 11:13:13 AM EST
Come on, if a person was a decent hardworking right thinking sort, they'd have their own car. Who cares how you smell.

parking == 3x as much as train by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 11:46:41 AM EST
and twice as long of a ride.

He's right. Don't kid yourself. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 11:10:17 PM EST
You belong on the train with the rest of the other sweaty proles.
If you were a somebody, your rented man would be bringing the Bentley around to pick you up from the office.

Notice that I didn't say "from work."

rented? you mean hired. by gzt (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 05:36:06 AM EST
and there's no need to include the adjective.

Dude by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 11:26:00 AM EST
Travelling on the train, bus or undergbround in London, sweat is the one of  least offensive smells that you might encounter.

Why don't you bike instead though and save your train fare and get exercise that way?

generally true here by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 11:47:28 AM EST
but this is the classy commuter rail.

You raise a very good point. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 04:29:54 PM EST
The hygiene of the general public leaves a great deal to be desired
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
vegan? vegetarian? omnivore? by misslake (4.00 / 3) #3 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 11:45:19 AM EST
really, it all depends on how you smell.

there are few things as hard-wired sexy for women as the smell of a healthy man who has just run 5 miles.

if you're just sweaty by R343L (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 12:37:53 PM EST
And any odour doesn't carry far -- unless you're smooshed up in a crowd (which it sounds like you wouldn't be) -- I would say, why worry? I've smelled some pretty bad body odours on transit or waiting in lines and .. eh, it's a transient inconvenience.

And as misslake points out, sometimes someone smells so attractively wherein you wish he/she would ... well, I will not finish that.

golden rule says by garlic (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 02:22:58 PM EST
shower if you smell, and if you don't, don't get sweat all over the metra.

Shower at home. by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 02:02:22 AM EST
Aside from my marked preference for my own shower, which does not require that I keep pushing the damned button over and over again to keep the water running, the gym shower is where all those other sweaty people rinse themselves off, and since my old gym had no hygiene concern with the guy who was constantly masturbating in the jacuzzi, I doubted their commitment to shower-room cleanliness.

How about the practical issue? by lm (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 06:11:52 AM EST
Wet sweat is easier to wash off than dried sweat.

Aside from that, how much farther than 5 miles is the fifteen minute train ride? Run home from work, problem solved.

Cicero, The Republic
the reason for running at the gym by gzt (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Oct 15, 2008 at 06:37:50 AM EST
is the impending winter. it's a substitution for running at home. i also have stuff i carry to and from work.