Print Story Long time no see. Soon, I will not be me anymore.
By Eveley (Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 07:05:48 PM EST) (all tags)
It’s good to come back here after a long time away and see familiar usernames still active and posting. I hope I can change mine somehow, it’s old and I don’t use it anywhere anymore. I’d rather not have to create a new account to do so. I guess it will follow me around forever, just like my real name.

I’m changing my real name. Having a long family name that’s impossible to translate and to top it off has a strange Scandinavian letter in it can be a slight inconvenience when working in an international environment, but if one is going to try to break through in a different field altogether it is more a burden than anything else. It doesn’t help that I’ve always rather disliked it and never felt any particular connection with it.

Of course, the State mislaid the forms I sent to have it officially changed. So I have to send it again. I hope they gave me the correct address this time.

The rules of the land say that if changing your last name to a rare one used by fewer than 100 people in the country, it will have to be approved by the existing holders of that name. My searching led me to believe there are none, which means it should be automatically approved.

So hopefully, in a couple of weeks, I can start calling myself by my new name. If they don’t fuck up the form this time, that is.

Goodbye Christer Holmstrøm. Hello, Chris Eveley.
< Jon Stewart is shouting on the telly | Like I said >
Long time no see. Soon, I will not be me anymore. | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dear Mr Holmstrøm by TurboThy (4.00 / 4) #1 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 09:38:07 PM EST
Your application form contains a letter that is incompatible with our computer system. We cannot, therefore, comply with your request to change your name.

Signed,
Departmænt øf Hømelånd Säcürïty

__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
Øh, ånd: by TurboThy (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 09:45:59 PM EST

__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
Your nick here can be changed if you wish by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 01:02:13 AM EST
We have the technology.

Fantastic by Eveley (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 10:46:32 AM EST
Sent you a PM. And I don't know what kind of hooker 5 quid will buy you. You might want to go for a beer or two instead.

Ta-da! [nt] by gazbo (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 11:54:42 AM EST

Much obliged! [n/t] by Eveley (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Oct 19, 2008 at 11:39:04 PM EST

You should have changed your first name to ... by me0w (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 02:37:21 AM EST
Tomas and left your last name.

I'm surprised... by Eveley (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 09:24:22 AM EST
...at the numbers of Holmstroms in exile. There was even one in ExxonMobil /USA) when I worked support there (Norway) when I checked the company-wide address book.

The first one I thought of ... by me0w (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 10:25:57 AM EST
was Tomas Holmstrom (plays for the Detroit Red Wings). Holmstrom isn't so uncommon.

I know, I googled the name by Eveley (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 10:34:08 AM EST
And I'm still surprised it's not that uncommon, really. It seems many Swedes went to the U.S. at some time.

How the Holmstrøms got to Norway: My great-grandfather escaped from the sheriff over the border after being wanted for poaching reindeer. Hah.

Hmmmm.... by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 03:24:02 AM EST
Eveley sounds.... well, a bit evil. Is that what you were going for? I'm curious why you chose that as the last name, was it because you were just going for something that no one else had?

I grew up with a name no one could read, first or last, now it's just the first one that people are confused by as I married into a normal last name. I understand your strife at any rate... as for annoying governements, my boy still hasn't been registered as being born due to to retarded government beaurocracy, now he's nearly three and I'll have to get a lawyer and crap to prove where he came from. Hahahaha.... I hope this time your form reaches it's destination and is adeptly entered into the computer in which it needs to be entered.

*twinkle*twinkle*

It's not "Evil-eye" by Eveley (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 09:35:55 AM EST
It rhymes more with "bevel, eh?" than "evil eye". But the name actually comes from the fact that if people are talking to me and I'm disinterested in the things they spew (or if I'm just not comfortable in the setting) I can have quite the scary, intense look in my eyes. But apparently no-one but my brother have noticed, as I am strangely well-liked by anyone I meet and come off as a kind, sociable guy. He was the one who made me aware of it. It's entirely involuntary.

I was thinking about changing my name for a long time, I just didn't know what to. My brother's remarks spurred my brain into thinking about it and hey, why not make up something based on that and corrupt it a bit. I think the result reads and sounds nice in combination.

Shame about your kid's name registration fuck-up, that's really weird.

Both my given name and last name are Swedish, which is strange since I'm Norwegian. But my great grandfather was Swedish so I guess that had something to do with it. You make me very interested in what your original last name was... I bet I could pronounce it just fine.

Oh and I'm adopting a middle name as well. "Dukan." It's the place my father was born and he's going to change his last name from Holmstrøm to it. That was the thing that really made me go for the change -- If he doesn't care about the family name propagating, why should I? It's not like I'll ever have kids anyway, and even my brother has changed his name.

Now only my half-brothers and their offspring are left to continue the Holmstrøm heritage in Norway.

Ozols by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 01:24:00 PM EST
My name was Astra Leona Ozols. Canadians just can't do a rolling r, or the z-o-l-s of the last name. They would usual metathesise it into something with similar phonemes.

I see, the origin IS the evil eye. That's funny. Bevel pronounciation is more likely anyway I think, so that's good.

I find it interesting that you know you are never going to have children, but you don't sound old. Also, that you have all changed your names. How very unusual. Did your brother make up a last name too or did he just choose one he like that already existed?

*twinkle*twinkle*

A mix by Eveley (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Oct 20, 2008 at 12:02:49 AM EST
It's not a common last name but not a made-up word either. I don't want to contribute to his name being plastered all over Google so even the most amateurish Internet Detective will find it easily, but think "nectar of the gods" and I guess you know what the last name is. Latin version.

His first name I won't reveal though. Suffice to say that people were a bit confused and have taken some time to get used to it, but when he told me about the change I could immediately connect his new first and last name to the meaning concealed in them.

On kids: I just turned thirty and while I am convinced I would be a great father and knowing I do not dislike children in the slightest (the best thing in the world is waking up a sunny Sunday morning and hearing kids in the playground laughing), I'm at a point in my life where I know I'm not going to settle down. Had I found the right girl ten years ago things would almost certainly have been different. However, I've been in on-and-off steady employment since the age of 16. Apart from cafe / barista work it has all been menial, A4 computer-related stuff (support; support management). I'm just not that guy anymore. Call it pre-emptive mid-life crisis if you will; I call it having discovered my true self.

Ouch, wall of fucking text :/

Ass-truh Oh-souls? Ugh ;) by Eveley (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Oct 20, 2008 at 01:00:09 AM EST
I've always thought North Americans are horrible with pronouncing most words that are not American in nature. I guess not having regular contact with other languages have a lot to do with it, I dunno. Perhaps people in Scandinavia, having been exposed to English, German and (especially Norwegian and Swedish) having their own word bases pronounced much like old Latin (the wovels being the key part), have an advantage in that area. Y'all seem to tag an "ay" at the end of everything :)