Print Story Sunday bike ride
Cycling
By hulver (Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 01:38:34 AM EST) (all tags)
Finding myself with a couple of hours to spend on Sunday, and the weather being fantastic for this time of year, I went out for a ride on my bike.

Here's my route.

The elevation on that is fairly indicative of riding anywhere around here. I must admit though I only found a couple of the hills really challenging. The start of the ride is great. A short uphill, then a very steep and smooth downhill (43mph). Then there's a long but fairly gentle incline up to the highest point in the route.

There was one point where the route goes to a single track road up a hill to some communications masts. I was considering just turning around at that point :) The last thing I was looking forward to after that long slog up hill was a short downhill followed by what looked like a vertical climb. Turned out that I was at the top before I even felt it, so it looked worse than it was.

The worst bit was definitely the last hill. It's very steep (a small road alongside the original first downhill) and I had to stop several times. Once for a group of rather nervous horses that didn't look pleased to see me. I said hello to the horses and they calmed down a bit once they realised I was just some sweaty fat bloke.

Fantastic ride, it's those sorts of rides that makes owning a bike worthwhile. Just wish I'd had a bit more time to go a bit further afield.

< On Pagans | A happy place >
Sunday bike ride | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Keep having high stress meetings with CTO by Phage (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 01:49:56 AM EST
Who bears more than a passing resemblance to you. It's a bit off-putting !

Is the countryside nice round there? by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 02:14:09 AM EST
I think I might have to plan ahead a bit for my next ride and get a train somewhere, getting a bit bored of stressful London rides.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I'm jealous by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 02:53:28 AM EST
I miss going out on random, leisurely bike rides.

Good for you for taking the opportunity when you've got it!

Cicero, The Republic
Scary map by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 03:05:26 AM EST
All streets are close ends....

cul-de-sac by hulver (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 04:11:00 AM EST
Welcome to surburbia.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
My bit of suburbia was not that bad... by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 02:17:51 AM EST
Neat website... by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 03:07:02 AM EST
My cycle route to work: here! :)

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Weird... by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 03:21:26 AM EST
You live in a shopping centre and work in a parked van

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

wrong way round by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 2) #7 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 03:37:27 AM EST
>_>

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Strange by hulver (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 04:06:55 AM EST
What are those strange street markings down Canal Walk? Look a bit like cars. I've not seen them before.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Speed limit markings? by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 05:18:56 AM EST
Big '20' in a oval?

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
So they are by hulver (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 03:00:07 AM EST
I didn't zoom in enough.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
A route I take freqently by johnny (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 05:28:50 AM EST

It's 31 miles. Most of this is on very safe and scenic bike paths. Points 2 through 13 are in and around a state forest -- I sometimes get off the paved paths and x country on the unpaved fire lanes that criss-cross the forest. You rarely see anybody in there. Only the occasional person on horseback.  At point 17 I generally dismount the bike and walk up to the beach to look at the ocean for a few minutes.  Point 23 is the bridge made famous by the movie "Jaws"

This is on an island that is mostly flat. There are a few small hills-- sand dunes, basically-- but mostly easy rolling.

Buy my books, dammit!
One problem with cycling on the flat by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 05:54:25 AM EST
Cycling onto a headwind.

Looks like a nice route. I like that bit with the sea on both sides, and also the way you pass two airports!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

flats, wind, airport by johnny (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 07:05:31 AM EST
The wind can get pretty heavy. There is always wind on an island, I think.

The Martha's Vineyard airport is a small commercial/general aviation airport. The commercial planes usually are the 11-passenger size, but the airport can handle big jets. When Bill Clinton vacationed here, Air Force One landed there.  The Katama airport is a traditional grass runway -- it only handles small planes -- including a few biplanes.

Buy my books, dammit!
A favorite ride by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 07:41:14 AM EST
Except for the first (and last) 8 miles which are always the same.

Makes full use of bike path, passes Lexington Center, Some damn fine ice cream, Carlisle Center, the Carlisle "This Old House", Concord Center, Old Manse, Walden Pond, Gropius House, and some other things.

An alternate way back from Concord Center to Lexington Center kinda sorta follows the Battle Road, the back the bike path from there. Passes by Louisa May Alcott's house,  through the Minuteman NHP.

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
A couple of Sundays ago by Herring (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 08:11:24 AM EST
Me and Welsh Bloke: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2332343

Some great tracks, some horrible stony uphills and an alternate route up Box Hill that was actually worse than the normal one.

Lovely countryside though. Welsh Bloke long track by a field (near mile 10) oh fuck, Box Hill again

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Heh by hulver (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 10:56:31 AM EST
That's not a hill, 'tis a mere lump.

Don't think I'd be too happy about riding up it after 20 odd miles of riding though.

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Due to where I live by Herring (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 11:14:36 AM EST
Any significant ride out into the country involves a climb up the North Downs as the last significant ascent on the route. Box Hill I hate particularly although Welsh Bloke and I have done this ride a couple of times where Leith Hill is the last peak. The descent from that is one of the few times I've wished I had rear suspension.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
My ride back from work today. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 09:32:09 AM EST
An hour and a bit (hey, there were off-roady bits. Also, I had to stop for chocolates) of real bliss. Lovely.

And now, with a link. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 09:33:34 AM EST
On OS mapping. Looks crap at that zoom level, but, well, you get contours and whatnot.

Wonderful browser detection by hulver (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 10:52:45 AM EST
Apparently they support Firefox 2, but not 3. So I can't look at your route.

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Ban him. [n/t] by Herring (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 11:16:47 AM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Sorry. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 11:27:41 AM EST
I got a browser detection thing but clicked through and it worked fine. Of course, I use an up to date browser, but something old like Firefox 3 might be as able to render it as well as Opera 9.6. ;)

Err, anyway, that aside, it's really nice to use, although the map square's a bit small. Probably it's a fixed pixel width.

12 miles. 200m height difference between lowest and highest points. (Which is the entire gamut of elevation round here, but nearly any ride will take you on it)

Sunday bike ride | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback