Print Story Mother's Cookies
By muchagecko (Fri Oct 10, 2008 at 02:43:50 PM EST) Mother's cookies, economic depression (all tags)
The first bit of our countries economic turmoil that has affected my family.

Mother's cookie company closes amid bankruptcy

Today I found out at my local grocery store that I won't be able to get our family favorite ever again.

I bought the last couple of bags of the Halloween animals.

Now even I can see that we are headed for hard times.

< It's time to hunker down. | "Distant Broadcasts - Broadcasting Locally" >
Mother's Cookies | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It was the cookies, eh? by blixco (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Oct 10, 2008 at 03:04:27 PM EST
For me it was losing 45% of my retirement fund (as of closing today).

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
I guess I'm lucky. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Oct 10, 2008 at 03:29:25 PM EST
My meager retirement was lost 7 years ago. I haven't really accumulated much since then.

My bank is fiscally responsible and strong according to reports online.

I realize most people have experienced much worse - as you have.

Losing Mother's Cookies may not sound like much, but I had tears well up in my eyes in the checkout line when the cashier told me. I felt like I'd been kicked.

I guess it's the nostalgia - I've been eating Mother's Cookies since I was a kid. It was fun to see my kids eat them.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Retiring in the next 3-5 years? by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Oct 11, 2008 at 11:59:59 PM EST
Then your fund is not gone, just undervalued.  Unless, of course, the fund managers are total idiots, and converted undervalued stock into cash?  In which case, sue them.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
I'm not worried, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 07:08:45 AM EST
since I'm in it for ever. But it's still disheartening to have "lost" so much potential cash.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Wealth is relative by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 2) #11 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 07:15:51 AM EST
Look at it this way: Everyone is poorer now, so in a way, no one is any worse off.

Most people laying off staff now are using the credit-crunch as an excuse. To be honest, I'm getting sick of everything being blamed on "the global economic slowdown". It's become a running joke in my office, to blame everything on "the global economic slowdown".

"Dude, the code you checked in is fucked, you broke the build pretty bad", "Sorry, its because of the global economic slowdown".

:P

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

You're wired to feel it by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #15 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 12:06:08 PM EST
 Humans feel loss more than the equivalent gain. It's not real money, in my book, until I need to part with it for something real, like a house or car.

Then again, some of the stock in my portfolio was originally Standard Oil, so I have no emotional attachment to loss/gain. Wasn't my money that bought it. Same with my employer-contributed savings.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Iced animal crackers are amazing by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Oct 10, 2008 at 03:05:43 PM EST
I better stock up.

I'm going to try to buy more bags at a different by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Oct 10, 2008 at 03:32:17 PM EST
grocer.

I think they'll keep for a long time. Although I don't think I've ever tested that theory.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Freezer? by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #14 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 12:01:26 PM EST
 Works for GS cookies.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

time to get bakin' by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Oct 10, 2008 at 03:51:24 PM EST
clock's dad just told him he has to go lay off 50% of their mfg staff (in Mexico, Chicago, and Alabama) next week.  If things don't start to bounce back in the next 2 weeks, he'll have to make more cuts.

So the baking industry is being hit hard. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Oct 11, 2008 at 10:52:25 AM EST
I love baking, but never have the time.

I'll probably bake some muffins this weekend.

Thanks.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Homebaking by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 12:03:17 AM EST
Is destroying your economy.  Think of those poor bakers made unemployed by your negligent self sufficiency!

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
You are correct, of course. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 01:06:24 AM EST
But what if I buy those fancy mixes and bake at home. That's gotta be helping somebody?

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Close by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 09:45:59 AM EST
Home baking is incredibly un-green, requiring an inordinate amount of energy in comparison to the industrialised version. OTOH my cookies beat the pants off of anything else out there. Yes, even Mrs. Fields and Famous Amos. They're that good.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

I suppose it means what you mean by green by lm (4.00 / 2) #13 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 10:46:17 AM EST
I'm fairly certain that the sacks from the sugar and flour take up far less space at the land fill than the equivalent number of pre-packaged cookies. Then let us not forget the energy spent in transporting the respective goods. I don't know the 12 minutes (if that) in the oven is going to make up the difference.

Cicero, The Republic
Interesting by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 06:49:25 PM EST
They filed for chapter 11, which is usually a reorganization.  Yet they laid everyone off immediately, seeking exemption from the 60-day rule.  A brief search couldn't even find comment on the apparent dichotomy, let alone explanation.

Ahh, well, I'm certainly not active enough to eat their cookies anyways.

I'm with you. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 07:24:26 AM EST
I wouldn't eat Mother's cookies, except the kids like them and they're around. Maybe I'll be able to lose a few lbs. if I can't buy them.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly