Print Story New Yawk
Misc.
By Gedvondur (Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 11:39:12 AM EST) Cities, New York, Disasters, Travel (all tags)
I am in the Big Apple for a little over twenty four hours.

This city does the same thing to me every time.  Kicks me in the face with the press of civilization in a way that LA, San Francisco, Atlanta, and Chicago never really do.

I am on the 36th floor of $hotel and the city teems around me.  It never slows it never stops.  Perhaps that is why so many writers of disasters show New York empty and dead.  The mind boggles at the thought of this place even being remotely quiet.

That being said, horns should be illegal here.

Tomorrow evening I fly into Roanoke, Virginia and then head to a mountain resort for a company meeting.  I fear the contrast will leave me spinning again.

< Extended deadline WFC8 | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
New Yawk | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
YFI!!!!1!11!!1! by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 12:11:25 PM EST
24 hrs in NYC. Again. On a fucking MONDAY. You know the Fulton Fishmarket closed more than 4 hours ago and won't open again before Wednesday, right? And that whatever ypi find now is extra-unfit for human consumption? You might as well try tying to drilll for oil at this point.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Hmmm by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 12:44:26 PM EST
Generations of the dead in New York may have formed oil by now.  Or diamonds.  To the Drills!

I can only hope that the reception I must shortly go to will have shopped at that fish market for our evening repast.

Gedvondur
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

damn dude. by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 12:16:07 PM EST
For a cheesehead, you sure do get around.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

heh by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 12:46:33 PM EST
One of the companies in your neck of the woods (and my customer) is making an announcement here tomorrow.  They wanted me to come in a "you damn well had better be there" kind of way.

It has been a crazy crazy travel month, I can agree with that.

With any hope I can catch up with you and the SF crew next time I am in San Jose. I expect that won't be too long.

Gedvondur
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

cool. by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 01:13:19 PM EST
We usually favor SF on the weekend for meetups, but the south bay can work on a weeknight if it comes to that (although Aphrael would probably be out because he has evening classes).

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

ayup. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 01:15:50 PM EST
ged and i have done dinner in the south bay before, but with class, it's not really gonna fly.

i get two missed classes per class per semester. two of these are devoted to coachella. the rest are in reserve in case i get sick.

Where you at? by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 12:55:46 PM EST
n/t

Im at by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 03:32:21 PM EST
The Palace Hotel.  Where that is in relation to anything else, I couldn't tell ya.  :-)

Gedvondur
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

The ghost of Dorothy Parker . . . by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 05:05:35 PM EST
Boozes up just a short walk from you. The Algonquin with its Blue Bar is at 59 West 44th Street.

I'd join ya', but I'm out in Brooklyn and it'd take me forever to get to you now.

Good luck and enjoy the city.

Roanoke.. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 02:30:26 PM EST
Hope you packed your warm winter gear.

That being said, you'll be in a nice area me thinks, even if it is remote.

Heh by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 03:41:05 PM EST
I'm from Wisconsin, so I've got the gear.  :-)

Gedvondur
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

Be sure to stop by World-Famous by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 05:03:54 PM EST
Bland, VA!