Print Story on the new year
By clock (Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 03:45:44 AM EST) (all tags)
...another 4 day weekend floats by.

have i mentioned how much i enjoy spending long chunks of uninterrupted time with my lil family?  i love it.  being able to hang out and play is nice.  it was a mellow weekend and "holiday" without a whole lot of fanfare.

we took the dude out on his first hike.  it was a nice jaunt.  the mega-stroller held up well and he was fascinated with everything.  he didn't sleep a wink.  this was a useful fact later.  teh puppay was also most pleased by the outing.  it's been a while since she hit the trail and i think we all felt better for it.  we've gound a way to get our groove back on that front.  and so we shall!

new year's eve was the best of times and the worst of times.  well, not really the worst but a little on the crappy side.  we had a great dinner of lobster tails and steak with grilled asparagus and some tasty (if a little strong) roasted garlic bread.  it was a wonderful meal that takes bloody little prep time.  after the tastiness, we went to make an appearance at a friend's party.  i put the dude into the carrier thingy (the running joke being that stacky carried him for the first nine months and i get him for the next nine...ha!  waaaay easy!  he's under 20 lbs and there's no way he'll hit 60 lbs before 9 months!...or is there?) and we made nice.  it was a mellow time.  good folks, some tasty snacks (not that we needed any!) and fun conversation.

at about 10, the dude was getting fussy.  he was ready for bed so we headed home.  he was fed and tucked in.  we broke out the spumanti that we've been saving for about a year (great shite!  bonny doone is the way to go for wine for people like me who don't know anything about anything) and fired up some tasty pound cake with port glaze.  everything was running right on schedule.

and then the world exploded.

...or at least it sounded like it...

down here in the republic (and especially outside of the city limits proper) the celebration of the new year is done with explosives.  lots and lots of explosives.  fireworks were flying and they went nuts this year.  there were far more than the previous two years i've been here.  and it turns out that my son has no desire to live in a war zone.  smart lad!

he wigged out.  big time.

since mommy had had some wine, the boobie was out of the question.  bottle?  i don't think so.  walking around and talking in a soothing voice?  fuck that.  daddy, you're useless.  not that mommy had much more luck.  i'm told that he finally settled down around 3:30 AM and his mom got to sleep around 4.  when i woke up, they were both back in the bed with me and i got out of bed around 10.  the lil dude was exhausted.  we played for a little bit while mommy slept and then he was out cold.  he stayed that way for most of the day.

so the winner of the first cockblock of the new year is: fireworks!  fucking morons wreckin' my game.  i had plans.  idiots.

so yesterday was a day of rest.  lots of rest.  and packing up x-mas stuff.  i put a little floor in up in the attic so that there's more storage area.  and now it's in use.  go team!

looking around the site i've noticed that there was a lot of shit that had to be shovelled by a lot of people this year.  for me, it was a stressful year that ended so very well.  i'm incredibly happy and i'd like to share that.  there were some rough patches and i really tested myself.  i took part in starting a family.  i moved around a lot of my priorities.  my wife and i changed our lifestyles so that they are more sane and more in step with what we believe.  this year, we'll do more of the same.

i hope that each one of you finds a little extra happiness this go 'round.  i've walked a little more road and seen a few more things.  with that tiny extra granule of experience in my tiny, but hopefully growing, bag of wisdom i can say this:  life is 1% what happens to you and 99% what you make of it.  change can happen.  if you want something enough, you can get it.  there is hope.

let me repeat that...

there is hope.  always.

for everyone here who is living through a time of personal trauma, i wish you peace.  for those of you who, like me, are feeling pretty good i wish you'd buy a pint for someone who's down.  i'm sending out good vibes to all of you.

good luck in 2008!

...more tomorrow...

< The Husi Happiness Index | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
on the new year | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Fireworks = teh suXX0rz by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:31:16 AM EST
Luckily for us, this year it was too cold in the frozen tundra for anybody to put on the usual display. We're close enough to the airport and the fairgrounds that we usually get to hear the big reports of all the fireworks. This year, not a peep. Which is good, because we have one dog that loses her mind every time there's so much as a firecracker going off three blocks away.

My sympathies to the dude and your family. Nothing much worse than listening to fireworks going off all around you. Except for that night that Dokken, Ratt and Great White played the outdoor arena just a few blocks away. *SHUDDER* The years have not been kind to those voices.

you said "Ratt" by clock (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:23:37 AM EST
ew.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yeah. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:28:10 AM EST
And you didn't hear them. It was painful.

I saw them in concert by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:39:21 AM EST
Opening for Billy Squier.

About 20 years ago.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Saw them open for Motley Crue by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:43:54 AM EST
or was it Twisted Sister, maybe 25 years ago?

The fireworks by theboz (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:50:09 AM EST

Yeah, it is pretty shocking.  Unfortunately for me with the wide open field on the other side of my back yard, some assholes always go right behind my house and set off fireworks.  On the 4th of July I sprayed them with my hose, but fortunately for them they were further down the street this time.  It was still loud, but my daughter slept and didn't give a shit.  She's used to loud noises while daddy plays video games with the surround sound I guess.

I had the opposite, a good start that ended up being stressful.  However, being off last week I caught up on my sleep, relaxed some, and was able to think about the problems I'm dealing with and wonder why I'm putting myself through stupid shit.  I'm both the head of the house and the team lead at work, I am in a position to pretty much control my destiny and happiness, so I need to do so.  Once I realized that, 2008 started looking better.  Other than being pulled over by a State Trooper yesterday (which I only got a warning), things are looking up for 2008.

A lot of what you said about the lifestyle changes we are making too, and with success.  We started on it slowly a few years ago, then with the baby had to retreat on it some, but now we're finding ways to participate less in the consumerist society, watch less TV, and enjoy ourselves more.  At least, this is the plan.  I hope we succeed and I hope you and your family do too.
- - - - -

i seriously... by clock (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:29:46 AM EST
...thought about letting porschea run out free in the front yard.  the sight of her would have scared the shit out of folks but in the end it would have accomplished nothing.

sigh.

good luck with the anti-consumerist thing.  we're big fans.  and we should get together sometime soonish for a lunch.  your place or ours.  seems like more fun than a restaurant.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Definitely by theboz (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 08:40:57 AM EST
I guess becoming parents has turned us into crotchety old men when it comes to fun stuff like fireworks.

Also, I agree that we should get together sometime soon.  I'll have to talk to the wife to make sure we take care of the schedule for our diets with the nutritionist, so we can plan on eating something good.  I just need to get ideas of what, and how far in advance we need to tell her, and I'll let you and Stacky know.
- - - - -

Bonny Doon is indeed the gnats tits. by greyrat (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:51:00 AM EST
Their product names and labels rule too. Sorry you didn't get laid. You should have let the dude have a boob. Unless Stacky was falling down drunk, I doubt he'd have had any problems with it.

Thanks for the wishes and vibes. One can only hope for the best.

IAWTP by Horatio Hellpop (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 01:44:07 PM EST
Seriously, unless Mom's an alky, there's no harm to the occasional baby nightcap.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

the way I have been going the last by cam (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 05:13:31 AM EST
couple of months I might have to change my nick to clockv2.0

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Well if you do by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 05:55:18 AM EST
...I  predict for this year, you'll find a new woman, knock her up, find the pregnancy doesn't let you have sex, resort to playing the guitar, and then you'll tell us how wonderful it all is.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
amen! by clock (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:27:30 AM EST
now i just need to order some more strings...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

The best - by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:32:42 AM EST
and the cheap. I've been using them for years now and love 'em. Hooks me up to take care of my string-change fetish without breaking the bank.

not interested in kids by cam (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:37:56 AM EST
so maybe a mix of cam and clock then; c-ock?

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

i hope so! by clock (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:24:34 AM EST
best of luck with that!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

amen by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 03:10:03 PM EST
Keep doing what you're doing -- no, do more of it! You and your gang rock so hard it's friggin' inspirational.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
why thank you! by clock (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 05:39:25 PM EST
we will continue to rock until we can rock no more!

w00t!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

you didn't try by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:03:31 PM EST
The music?

Click
there's a threshold... by clock (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Jan 03, 2008 at 03:10:03 AM EST
...and once it is crossed, only mommy has the power.  my skillz, such as they are, are limited and depend greatly on when they are applied.  he just didn't settle down enough for it to be effective.

i will say that it usually works, but he was all out of sorts.  the holidaze are rough when you're new.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin