Print Story Mental Health Update:
Love
By ammoniacal (Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 10:23:51 PM EST) (all tags)
Peace offering received convivially, which made me cry and smile, simultaneously.
Moderately pleasant telephone convo with the woman, no yelling or interrupting (and important thoughts were shared), which raised my spirits enough to enable eating again.

Important Feedback: I sound "less crazy" today.

Watched AvPR with my son, it was O.K. Thanks, Ms. Yutani.

Next paycheck: Nicotine patches. It's time to quit, because 1. It's good for me and 2. Certain people can't stand my dirty habit (COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE). 3. Money saved can go to better causes, perhaps a liberal political concern or an environmental charity.

Currently playing: Interpol

< 2008 Begins | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Mental Health Update: | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That's good to hear. by Phage (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 11:03:31 PM EST
Currently playing Quake Wars, and HL2 Episode 2.
Good luck with the smoking. Watch the weight.

Thanks. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:17:16 AM EST
It might not be the best time to do it, but it's gotta be done.

Nicotine patches by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 03:09:17 AM EST
The trouble I had with those is that I was still on the nicotine. As soon as I came off the patch, I started smoking.

Chantix is what got me off the ciggies.  Amazing stuff.  I didn't get any of the side effects, either.  I just stopped smoking.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I'll look into that. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:15:44 AM EST
I don't have insurance, but I'll see if I can get it. Thanks.

I had side effects with Chantix by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:18:55 AM EST
But I made it through the first three months, and I'm managing to stay off the smokes, even though my mother is smoking around me, and I'm in one of the most stressful situations ever. Also, I learned that I was self-medicating anxiety with nicotine, so I talked to my doc and got an Ativan Rx. Also, I drink a bit more than I did when I smoked. I probably need more for the anxiety, but that's working for now -- just be prepared to see that stuff like OCD and anxiety and whatever else might re-emerge once you quit smoking.

I also recommend picking a large-ish item that you really really want and save your cigarette money for that item. The picture of the Bonnie I have on my bulletin board at work has done more to prevent me from starting again than just about anything else. Good luck. It's not easy, but almost always, I think it's worth it.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco

Thanks. How are you holding up? by Horatio Hellpop (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:31:29 AM EST
I need therapy anyway, so I'll have to cope.
I have my motivational picture up already, she weighs about 135.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

I am holding up. by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:43:29 AM EST
I think that's all I can say at the moment. I wouldn't wish where I am on anyone.

It looks like you're moving in the right direction, and people who say you have to quit $vice for yourself are full of shit. If it hadn't been for ana not wanting me to smoke, I don't think I ever would've quit. I'm glad I did, though. Hang in there, and I hope you get to where you want to be.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco

Thanks. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 07:36:49 AM EST
I'm not a religious guy, but I'm praying for your Mom. Cheers.

Mental Health Update: | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback