Print Story 2008 Begins
By nightflameblue (Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 08:26:45 PM EST) (all tags)

So far, so good.

Craig Fergeson's first night on the Late Late show being replayed?  Hmm.

Mrs. NFB said we needed to go buy the pets their Christmas presents today.  Hey, they're pets, and they don't care whether we buy their stuff at clearance or on time.  So, we went out with that intention.

Strange thing, we ate first, did some other shopping, and then when I suggested we head to the pet shop she sort of stared at me blankly like she had no idea what I was talking about.  "Remember?  We were going to pick up the pet's Christmas?"  Then she snapped out of it and said she forgot.  OK.

Anyway, the kitties got a second "castle" to sit on the other side of the closet and a second "tower" to sit on the other side of our entryway.  They enjoy taking turns doing guard duty, so that seemed appropriate.  We've already seen two fights break out over who's going to use the new positions.  The pups got two new beds, one in the living room and one in the bedroom.  Everybody seemed happy with it and there we go.

And then we sat at home and bitched about the cold.  Two above zero most of the day.  Yuck.

Then I went ahead and got my personal Christmas-for-myself gift ordered.  I ended up with enough to nab Leopard, the OS, not the big kitty, Logic Express 8, and a decent pair of studio phones since my current ones are getting extremely buzz-tastic after almost fifteen years of horrible abuse.  Should help me be able to stomach listening to my awful guitar playing for more than twenty minutes at a time.  Bonus.

Just a little hint for any aspiring musical appreciator or creator, decent headphones should never be used to test tube amps of any wattage.  Also, the stupidity of youth knows no bounds.

Reading through the other diaries around here, I feel maybe I'm in the wrong spot.  Lots of unhappiness apparently in the past year and in the coming year for a lot of people.  And I'm feeling pretty much the opposite of that myself.

For those curious, the party at dad's went nowhere important.  There was one moment of akward when he said something about setting up a trust fund and making me the executor.  I basically shrugged it off and said, "OK."  His wife's daughter gave me the dagger eyes and I once again thanked my lucky stars she ain't my burden to bear.  No real big fireworks the whole evening, which was disappointing.

Basically, things are looking up outside the job.  And for some strange reason the job just doesn't eat at me as much as it has in the past.  We'll see how long that lasts.

One day of work tomorrow, then we're off to Dancing with the Stars.  Next week back to a normal work schedule.  That's gonna suck a little, but I'll live.

So, 2007 was pretty cool.  Two free (to me) cars, awesome guitar, recording equipment, other good stuff, and there ya go.  2008 looks to be similar, if not the same.

So yeah.  Go 2008.

< A holiday in the life ... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
2008 Begins | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden)
Leopard, the OS by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 03:02:13 AM EST
Me too.  Time Machine is cool. Best backup software for a home computer I've seen.  That, alone, is worth the $250 (~$150 for Leopard, the rest for the 300GB removable drive.)  Seriously considering getting a second removable drive for offsite backup.

I really wonder just who, and how many, at Apple, sold their souls to make a user friendly Unix.

Also got an Archos 605. It's fairly decent for watching TV shows on an airplane. Although if the scene is just 2 people sitting and talking you can't see their lips move, so it looks like they're just sitting there. The docking station has outputs for TV viewing, and that looked great on an SD TV.  Have to try it on an HDTV.

While doing the shopping, saw a Sharp Aquos 42" 1080P HDTV for $900.  So I grabbed that, too.

Had a pretty good Christmas, and year, generally.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Time Machine by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:09:13 AM EST
Time machine is pretty much what sold me on Leopard without seeing anything else about it. Now all I have to do is line up a nice external drive. Shouldn't be hard to do, considering how inexpensive drives are these days.

Those Archos things seem pretty slick, but I've got so many TV shows and movies loaded on my iPod that I can't see jumping to a different device. Would be nice to have a bigger screen though.

The Archos plays iPod formatted video by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:43:12 AM EST
Assuming it's DRM free, anyway.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

It's a cool little device. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:52:54 AM EST
I'm just all about lowering the overall number of devices I carry these days. And I don't travel enough in ways where I can watch video to justify getting a bigger screen than my iPod has anyway. Most of the time I pop the adapter on the nearest TV and watch that way.

If I were a frequent air traveler, or someone who got to ride more often than drive, I'd probably be all over it though.

Time Machine by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:51:38 AM EST
it's great for probably 99% of the users out there, but we're not using it.  One of its few "gotchas" makes it not really useful.

Fortunately, I'm an experienced back-up admin, so it's no big deal.  ;)

What's the one gotcha? by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:54:31 AM EST
I'm curious, as the only thing I can think of is the laptop problem, which from the description I thought they'd addressed.

it takes an infinite amount of disk space by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 07:35:53 AM EST
it will just keep backing stuff up until your drive is full.

maybe it's not a problem for others, but it's a big problem for us (we use our external disk for more than backups).

Hmm. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 07:41:36 AM EST
I was under the impression that it only backed up one copy of everything, and from that point forward only copied changed files for new "snapshots."

Even so, I'd dedicate a drive to it that's about twice my internal capacity, so it wouldn't be a huge problem for me. I suppose I'd feel differently about it if it were a more mobile machine. (Mac Mini here, desktop bound.)

it does by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 07:51:17 AM EST
exactly that, but....each snapshot still eats some space.  we're backing up 2 machines, plus storing extra stuff on that drive, so....it just doesn't work for us.

YMMV and all that.

OIC by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 08:28:10 AM EST
Multiple machine backup would be a problem I suppose. Basically, anything of importance goes on a DVD or CD relatively quickly in my house, so spare drives are considered "extras." It'll likely end up working OK for my use so long as it never fires up in the middle of a recording session.

Not quite by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 09:05:49 AM EST
From Apple

When you first set up Time Machine, it performs an initial backup of your entire computer. Subsequent backups find and save new items and items that have changed, so the backups become smaller. Also, as your backup disk fills up, Time Machine deletes older backups to make room for new ones.

Eventually, apparently, it can run out of space.  (How, if it's deleting old backups, I'm not sure.)

How do you back up multi-gigabytres of data?  Tape?

External hard drive with other software? Not a bad solution, actually a pretty good one,but not as easy/automagic as Time Machine.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

tar! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 10:38:57 AM EST
we just tar our home directories and store them on the external disk.  we don't really care about day-to-day stuff, we're more worried about full disk failure.

also re: time machine - sure it deletes old backups, but you don't get to choose which ones.  at least, we couldn't figure out how to.

What's wrong with it? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 05:16:24 AM EST
You need a big external hard drive to use it and it deletes old backups when the drive fills up, but those are hardly "gotchas".  Any backup software does the same thing.

Well, unless you do it Old School and tar to tape.  But then you have to rotate the tapes...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

sweet! by clock (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 03:06:33 AM EST
i hope you dig the new toys.  but more importantly, i hope you get lots of creating done.  the coolest home studio in the world ain't worth shit if you don't do something with it.

speaking of...i have some things i need to get into release-worthy shape.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

No problem there. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:21:46 AM EST
I've been whipping up bad-mix after bad-mix in Garageband for the past few months, but was getting rather burnt out by the lack of options and inability to program a decent drum track. I've no doubt stepping up will only increase my productivity.

And I just whipped up the fattest guitar tone ever over the past few days that's making me all kinds of giddy and I'm forcing myself to wait for Logic to try any recording with it. Should be lots of fun.

How do you like Mix-down in Logic? I've heard a very few complaints that it doesn't pull that end terrifically, though I tend to be a little on the light side when it comes to what I need on that end.

well... by clock (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:30:39 AM EST
...mixing down in logic ain't all that bad.  i'm not sure what people are whining about with a lot of their "issues."  it seems to me that in most cases people are bitching because they lack skillz.  if you spend some time thinking about how you record as you do it, mixing/mastering ALMOST takes care of itself.

but that's me.

you should check out camelcrunch or something like that from www.camelaudio.com - it's a free AU that is pretty sweet for raunchy guitar.  the presets are nice (a plus) and it's pretty tweakable.

oh...and if you've never used logic, set aside a day to just fuck around with it.  the transition from GB is pretty simple, but there's a lot to learn.  it's a lot of fun to play with.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Kinda what I thought. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:37:41 AM EST
To me mixing starts the second you push that little red record button.

I realize I'm not in the majority when I speak such nonsense.

I'm pretty set on guitar tones. I've got a PODxt with all the extra modules except the Bass module, which I'll buy whenever I finally pick up a bass, so I can cover about anything from Fenderish cleans to Uber Bomber screams recorded clean through a USB interface. The only problem I had with it was the learning curve. And that wasn't so much a problem as something that took time.

I'm bookmarking that Camel Audio site though. Some neat looking plugins that could come in extremely handy for other things I may do down the line.

As for learning Logic, I've been reading the manual for a day and a half already in preparation. Looks like it'll be a lot of fun to tweak and play with. And I like the way the filestructure appears to be. Should be a blast.

2008 Begins | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden)