Print Story She's still got it
Games
By georgeha (Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:41:11 AM EST) hexity goodness, Wii, Paterno, dementia (all tags)
she can unerringly home in on someone weaker than her, and cruelly torment them.

Plus, sorry Aggies, The Life of David Gale, A Blood Dimmed Tide, a good New Year's Eve, Viktory II, pharmaceutical roller coaster, measure twice and cut once, and less.

Poll: Cheapest way to get a good DDR?

Happy New Year, we're slowly getting back into the rhythm of things and leaving the holidays behind. The kids are still out of school, and the tree is still up, but I'm back at work full time, and Mrs. Ha is back at her job. My parents are watching the girls in the morning for the rest of the week.

I would give 2007 a 5, better than 2005 and 2006, but still hard and painful. On the positive side, I got my body back from arthritis, thanks to sulfasalazine. On the negative side, Mrs. Ha is still riding her pharmaceutical rollercoaster, we're still in the for worse part (though hopefully heading to for better), and we're still in deep debt.

It's been a very social week, I'm ready to hibernate for a while. Saturday Mrs. Ha's family had their Christmas party. The girls were with my parents visiting their folks in Pennsylvania, so Mrs. Ha and I went alone. We stopped at the nursing home first to see Mrs. Ha's mom, she's better physically but seemed to have lost a little more mentally, I'm not sure she knew who I was.

Then we drove down the Boulevard to Mrs. Ha's sister's. It was a different toned party, there were only two kids there. It was mellow, lots of good food, nothing spectacular in the way of beer, so I only had one. I spent a lot of time in the rec room watching the first half of the Patriots-Giants game, and 2 minutes of the Alamo bowl (enough to see Penn State take the lead at least), for a while it was just guys, guys and football, what more could you ask for.

Later Mrs. Ha's brother was talking about how their mom still has it. One demented man was asking where his wife was, their mother said she just saw her, a few minutes ago. I didn't really say anything, it was for the best.

There is probably a good anti-death penalty movie out there, but
The Life of David Gale is not it. It's not even my favorite Kate Winslett movie where she doesn't get naked, that would be Eternal Sunshine. Anyhow, the movie is about a professor who's a committed opponent of the death penalty who ends up on death row for raping and killing another professor who is also a committed opponent of the death penalty (yeah, it's a bit pretentious and fully in irony zone Red). While the case promised shocking twists, I had it figured out before the halfway point. I guess the point is that the death penalty is not foolproof, and a group of committed intelligent people can conspire against it.

In other media reviews, I finished A Blood-Dimmed Tide, another book on the Battle of the Bulge, nice light seasonal reading. The more I read of the Bulge, the more I think most SS veterans should have died in prison, it was common for them to kill civilians and prisoners. Again, Peiper should have swung, though he did pay for his crime eventually. It's a good book, focusing on lots of individual stories, including many from American prisoner's.

We got a last minute invite to go to Porsche_girls for New Years Eve, they were having a few neighbors over and invited us. I wasn't sure if we were going to stay until Midnight, but we did, the girls were up to it. They've turned their basement into a nice rec room, with a big flat TV, and a Wii. The Wii was nice, with DDR being the big hit of the night ( I even tried it out a few times), but more on that later. It ended being a very nice time, I talked with adults, including a mom I know from swimming who has a son also trying to get into SOTA. I like the kid, and eleven year old will even talk to him (she usually thinks boys are icky). I'm hoping he gets in, too.

It was probably one of my better NYE's, it was nice to get out and talk to other adults. We even did the reminiscence about old times, since most of the people were in Rochester in the 80's, though I was the youngest and many of the bars mentioned had been closed by the times I became legal.

New Year's Day was pretty lazy, we were all tired, I was even a bit hungover (I didn't get drunk, but I did sip a little wine over 5 hours). The girls and I did get in most of a game of Viktory II, my policy of rapid expansion then slow consolidation left me in a great position to win, if we had kept playing.

Later, eleven year old and I started work on her project box for the SOTA audition. She's doing nearly all of the work, I helped her clamp down the miter box, and sawed a few strokes. She understands measure twice and cut once, now.

So, the family is taken with DDR, and is fun, and a good way to get exercise in our frozen clime. While the Wii is nice, and I can see why it's such a big hit, there's no room in our budget for it, I'm hoping for something under $100. What's the best DDR combo I can get for that?

< on the new year | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
She's still got it | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
David Gayle by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:53:15 AM EST
Funny thing about that movie. I watched it with the mindset that it was a murder-mystery instead of a political commentary, and quite enjoyed it in that regard. It wasn't until I read reviews online afterward that I realized it was supposed to be "death penalty commentary." Going back over the movie with that in mind made me realize it was tired tripe that failed miserably at its intended message. It went from interesting mystery with a twist to a story about how complete psychos can really hose up an otherwise good idea.

But it did have Kate Winslet running her curvy little butt off and that never fails to please. Naked or fully clothed.

Those jerks at imdb by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:58:58 AM EST
one of them was calling her fatty.

Have you seen Holy Smoke? I strongly recommend it for the Kate Winslett afficianado, I reviewed it a few diaries back.

Kate, fat? by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 07:07:03 AM EST
Yeah, any woman with a curve these days is considered fat by some. Hollyweird has really horked up our sense of health. If she doesn't look like a boy, somebody's going to call her fat.

I have not seen Holy Smoke, but upon reading that diary of yours and google-imaging for screen caps it was duly added to the Netflix queue and bumped up to third or fourth from the top. A man must have his priorities. And naked Kate Winslet is definitely a priority. Right behind food and shelter.

Kate by dmg (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 12:31:02 PM EST
Is lovely. (NSFW)

And the best thing about her is that she's down to earth, and completely normal.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

I approve of the preceding post. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 01:12:46 PM EST

And that first link is going to keep my Netflix queue busy for a while.

DDR by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 06:53:23 AM EST
I thought just about everyone ordered from crucial.com now a days ?

Didn't throw your hip out while dancing, did you ?

Nope, I only DDR'ed for a few songs by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 07:00:25 AM EST
and there wasn't room for anything too energetic, we were playing 2 player.

Deutsche Demokratische Republik by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 07:07:02 AM EST
Well, first you become the USSR, then you conquer part of Nazi Germany...

Not cheap, but it worked for over 40 years!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Under $100? by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 07:44:51 AM EST
Buy $100 worth of tokens at the local arcade.  That ought to get it out of your system.

You might get lucky and find a pad, a game, and a Playstation 2 on eBay for around $100, but I doubt it.

If you're in debt, why spend more money on games?

I suppose a strict austerity budget by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 07:53:43 AM EST
might clear our CC debt in 6 years, versus maybe 10, but I don't think I can sell our family on nothing but rice and beans and thrift shop clothing for the next 6 years, it's a darn hard balance.

But I figure we can get a lot of fun with an older console.

Works fine on a PS2 by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 08:22:56 AM EST
I don't know if you'll be able to hit the $100 mark, but I bet you can get a PS2, 2 dance pads and DDR Max for $150 or less. But then you'll need memory cards ...

Cicero, The Republic
Maybe the price will drop quickly by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 08:29:31 AM EST
now that Christmas is past, and people replace their PS2s with Wiis.

PS2 by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 09:07:01 AM EST
One of these must come with DDR...
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Yeah, lm pegged the pricepoint, too by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 09:13:47 AM EST
B&N can get me a refurbished PS2 with a DDR SuprNova2 for $140, plus shipping. I'm going to keep looking.

I suspect by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 09:17:17 AM EST
It'll be hard to beat the PS2 price as there are 120 million of the things out there and people are now slowly replacing them with wiis. :`-(
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Right, but the price should start dropping by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 09:19:15 AM EST
and those Wii's are fun, you should get one.

WIPO by theboz (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 10:29:56 AM EST
There is no good DDR.
- - - - -
bzzt by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 11:06:58 AM EST
clearly you haven't spent enough time watching azian teenagers get perfect scores at the arcade to judge this fairly. well it depends on what you mean by "best" - for playing or for watching. the girls would probably be up for playing at an arcade...$100 is a lot of quarters.

I don't even know where the nearest arcade is by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 11:12:07 AM EST
probably the mall, 20 miles round trip.

no bowling alleys with laser tag? by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Jan 03, 2008 at 10:07:14 AM EST
we got a big place like that called main event and they even make ddr free for a couple hours a week on tuesdays or something.

WIPO: anything that plays music. by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 10:39:09 AM EST
<old fart> back in my day, we had to make up our own dance moves </old fart>

What about the metrics? by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 10:48:28 AM EST
How can you measure how good you are without metrics?

Those fake people on the screen... by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 11:43:32 AM EST
those ones that cheer when you pull off a move or whatnot?

We used to use real people for that.  And real moves.

Also, we don't use the metric system in God's U.S.ofA.

I was concerned with how they were dressed by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 11:46:30 AM EST
a little too scantily for my tweenage daughter. Maybe I can get a G rated version, or one with bhourqhas.

is there some kind of DDR 80's? by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 12:21:08 PM EST
Baggy shirts and legwarmers FTW!

Actually, 90s is probably safer.  Baggy pants and flannel shirts.

Would one have to step on the other person's controller when the mosh pit breaks out?

You played DDR? by Horatio Hellpop (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 01:50:08 PM EST
Must be some DAMNED good meds.

Also, though I'm sure you're trooling us, there is no DDR for the USian N64.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

Like I said, I got my body back by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 02:01:58 PM EST
I can do 35 minutes/3 miles on the elliptical, and I'm getting back to my old weights on the cybex machines. The one big positive of 2007.

Wiki begs to differ on the N 64 bit and DDR.

YUO FAIL IT by Horatio Hellpop (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 02:10:33 PM EST
GBC is on the list, but no Nintendo 64.

It is, there is a line break though by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 02:56:01 PM EST
<th style="background-color: #ccccff;"><a href="/wiki/Computer_platform" title="Computer platform">Platform(s)</a></th>
<td><a href="/wiki/Arcade_game" title="Arcade game">Arcade</a>, <a href="/wiki/Sega_Dreamcast" title="Sega Dreamcast">Dreamcast</a>, <a href="/wiki/Game_Boy_Color" title="Game Boy Color">Game Boy Color</a>, <a href="/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube" title="Nintendo GameCube">GameCube</a>, <a href="/wiki/Nintendo_64" title="Nintendo 64">Nintendo 64</a>, <a href="/wiki/PlayStation" title="PlayStation">PlayStation</a>, <a href="/wiki/PlayStation_2" title="PlayStation 2">PlayStation 2</a>, <a href="/wiki/PlayStation_3" title="PlayStation 3">PlayStation 3</a>, <a href="/wiki/Microsoft_Windows" title="Microsoft Windows">Windows</a>, <a href="/wiki/Xbox" title="Xbox">Xbox</a>, <a href="/wiki/Xbox_360" title="Xbox 360">Xbox 360</a>, <a href="/wiki/Wii" title="Wii">Wii</a></td>

</tr>