Print Story IO
By dev trash (Fri Jan 18, 2008 at 08:09:34 PM EST) (all tags)
Work.
Weather.
Cheese.
Stuff.

Fuck work, it's the farkin' weekend and I have other shit to think about.

It snowed.  Then it melted.  What the fuck.

I had some Colby Jack Cheese tonight.  I splurged.  It was good.  What's odd is that there has to be a damned warning on the label ( where the fucking ingredients are anyway ) that says CONTAINS MILK.  The overzealous sue happy contingent have succeeded in dumbing us down.  A warning that my brownies are made on the same line as products that contain peanuts is GOOD.  A warning on my brownies with peanuts that they're made on the same line as products that contain peanuts is fucking REDUNDANT and is making us all stupid.

Copyright.  What I don't understand, is why IP is treated different from any other sort of work.  I shovel shit out of a barn for 40 years, I don't expect my employer to pay my estate after I die for 70 years.  No, I save my money, invest it, retire.  Why can't someone who writes a song do the same?  Sure they'd have to write a lot of songs.  But perhaps I had to sling a lot of shit out of the barn.  No one likes work.

But.  I can hear some of you saying, if people were not paid like they are for their ideas, ideas would just dry up.  No one would implement them.  If no one paid me to shovel the shit, the shit would pile up.  Yes.  70+ year copyrights are insane.

Sometime late at night, usually on a weekend I get ideas.  Hey.  I wonder if Kevin Smith ever thought, "I'm a fat no talented fuck, what am I doing going into debt."  I doubt it.  Well maybe he did but he didn't let it slow him down.  He lived his dream.  The problem is my dreams are so dynamic.  I'm a film buff.  I once bought as many VHS tapes as I could afford when I found out that TCM was airing all the Oscar winning Best Picture movies to that point.  I dunno.  Ideas.  But I suck at implementation.

Anyway.  Bedtime

< 2008.01.18: "Davenport bought Oscar Mayer bologna ..." | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
IO | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
My wacky idead for copyright is life of author by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Jan 19, 2008 at 05:03:00 AM EST
or until kids are adults, whichever is longer. One needs some incentive to create.

Mickey can be quite adequately covered by trademark law.

copyright by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jan 19, 2008 at 06:05:20 AM EST
maybe not quite 70 years, but wouldn't you be a little pissed if after the first year you shoveled shit, someone ELSE got all the money for it and you got nothing?
---------
not if by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Jan 19, 2008 at 12:22:42 PM EST
I was off shoveling some other shit.

Click
so you're saying by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Jan 20, 2008 at 07:57:42 AM EST
that someone should have to go find a new job every year or so, instead of getting paid for one they've already done?
---------
well yeah by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Jan 20, 2008 at 12:42:04 PM EST
I get, right now, paid every week. If I quit or was laid off tomorrow I wouldn't expect to keep being paid for 70 years.

Click
Life of the author, plus 20 years by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Jan 19, 2008 at 02:08:30 PM EST
The old standard.  That way entertainment gets paid, but the information (eventually) is free.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Personally, I think 20 years would be sufficient by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Jan 19, 2008 at 07:11:25 PM EST
In fact, I think a copyright term of 20 years would incentivize greater literary output. While I don't know if that would really be a great thing, it would aid in copyright law meeting its stated aims in US law.

Cicero, The Republic