Print Story Attention WFCs 1–5 Infidels
By Kellnerin (Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 12:20:50 PM EST) WFC, WFC Book, WFC Anthology, whoa! a PDF, johnny owes me lunch (all tags)
Inside, my New Year's gift to you.

AS PROMISED, OH, ABOUT half a year ago or more, here is the layout of the WFC Book (thank you to hulver overlord for hosting).

It now somewhat resembles a book, although it also has a bit of a My First Book Design look to it (one font was clearly not enough), but I figure I've got it out of my system now, and if you all will have enough patience for me to do another one, I promise I'll do better next round.

You'll notice that there are some blank pages toward the end of each WFC section. This is so that you can now begin to nag spacejack to create (black-and-white) illustrations to fill those blanks, and a (color) cover for the book as a whole (pretty please).

THE PLAN IS STILL to have Lulu turn this into a proper dead-tree publication that you can hold in your hands, but before that:

I wanted to give all the authors a chance to see their contributions in place and be able to make any comments before it's printed. Any typos, mistakes, editorial butchering that you see -- speak now or yada yada yada. I'm too lazy to write individual PMs this time around, so if you know someone who's got a story in the book then let them know (see the complete list of contributors). If you're in a proofreading mood and want to read stories other than your own and point out problems (or even if you didn't contribute), please do. (I'll be doing a full round of proofreading myself.) I may not make all design changes, but where it comes to the content of a story, I'll certainly defer to the author.

For feedback, you can post a comment to this diary, PM me, or email me at the address in my user info. The deadline is loosely defined -- you'll have no less than two weeks (that is, until at least January 15), but in reality you have until I get my act together again, though I suggest looking at it sooner rather than later, while you're thinking about it. If I don't hear from authors by January 21, I'll assume everything's OK as soon as I can get illustrations and work things out with Lulu. (If you want/need more time, just let me know by the above date.)

Then there's the question of price. The base price from Lulu the way it stands now is $9.25 plus shipping. Last time we talked price there was some debate about whether to charge the minimum for the book or add on a little extra, with proceeds going to hulver (and if so, how much -- IIRC Lulu takes 20% of all profit, then PayPal takes another slice). See the poll.

The final version will also be available digitally at no charge (although that's how the pieces were initially presented, there's something to be said for collecting them in one place, with somewhat coherent formatting, I suppose). There will definitely be a PDF, and possibly other formats if I can get a round tuit. Again, express preferences in the poll.

ANYWAY, NOW THAT I've gotten this much done at last ... hey, 2 plus 3 equals 5 -- when's WFC8?

< Happy new year! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Attention WFCs 1–5 Infidels | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I voted $13 or WIPO by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 12:31:56 PM EST
I think it's worth $15, especially with spacejack art. Thanks very much for putting this together.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
at $3 per WFC ... by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 02:03:32 PM EST
it's a bahgin! WIPO was really meant for "more than any of the above" ... so far I'm surprised how well the more expensive options are doing. Of course, extracting a pricing strategy from the poll will be interesting ... I hope revisiting WFCs past will provide you with some mild entertainment in the days to come.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
All I have to say is ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 12:38:48 PM EST

1. Thanks.

2. I'll get around to reading the PDF.

Cooool. by ana (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 01:39:54 PM EST
Thanks for doing this.

And for creating the "whoa! a PDF!" tag.

And I read through my stuff and toxicfur's, and have no issues to report. Perhaps I'll do it again in a few days.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Hey wait a sec by johnny (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 01:46:17 PM EST
was that lunch bet over finishing a PDF or finishing a real actual book? If the latter, count not chickens before they are hatched, a wise man said to me, which I proffer to you as advice in the friendliest of voices.

Of course, statistics-wise, things are looking pretty good for you, since your book is formatted and mine ain't even all the way writ yet.  But c'est la vie say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell. Like Bluto said in his famous Animal House  St. Crispin's day exhortation, "Did we give up when the Nazis bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!"  In other words, remember Man o' War and the 1980 US men's olympic hockey team. DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?!?!?!!?
Buy my books, dammit!

it's on! by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #6 Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 02:12:59 PM EST
I don't recall the exact original bet, but I've no doubt it was vaguely if not downright badly formulated. So, to make it all official and stuff, I propose the following finish lines:
For johnny: to write the damn thing and have it posted in its entirety online
For Kellnerin: to have the book available for sale, as a real physical thing, via Lulu.com
First to reach hizzer goal gets the free meal. Not forgetting the all-important loser-comes-with-pencil-in-hair clause. Deal?

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
Since I have by johnny (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 02:46:49 PM EST
no hair, mine will be on a lanyard decorated in Unitarian motifs.

There, that ought to be enough to spur me.
Buy my books, dammit!

Thanks a ton, editors, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 04:07:42 PM EST
and especially you.

I'd say $15 is good, $13 a bargain.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

It's just what I wanted! by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jan 02, 2008 at 04:30:16 AM EST
Seriously now, thanks for putting this together, it's pretty cool. I wonder if the mouseketeers will confiscate it on the way in ...

The Political Science Department of the University of Woolloomooloo

Oh, yeah. by 2 plus 3 equals 5 (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Jan 03, 2008 at 07:46:53 AM EST
I think I said what the theme would be, but I forgot.

Suppose I should post it soon.

And I'd buy a book for $15.

-- Do the math.

cool by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jan 03, 2008 at 04:00:31 PM EST
I think you'd dropped a hint of the theme, but with so much "there should be a WFC on ..." talk about, it's hard to tell if anyone's serious. And of course, the most important part is the deadline, what gets everyone actually writing and such.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling again.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

easy research by 2 plus 3 equals 5 (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 06:07:13 PM EST
The beauty of posting so few comments is that it's easy to go back and find a particular one.

-- Do the math.
Interested in illustrators? by muchagecko (4.00 / 3) #12 Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 10:53:27 AM EST
I may be able to come up with something also - if wanted.

"It means more if you have to earn it, even if it's by doing something as simple as eating a meal." Kellnerin
sure! by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 05:04:41 PM EST
I only called out spacejack because he had at an earlier stage offered to do illustrations for the winning stories, but it sounds like he has more than enough projects on his plate at the moment. If you had time and were inspired by any of the stories (or the collection as a whole, for a book cover), then I for one would love to see what you would do with them.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
b/w or color? by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Jan 05, 2008 at 08:55:20 AM EST
I'll start looking at the stories this week.

b/w, mostly by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #16 Sat Jan 05, 2008 at 09:24:20 AM EST
The interior is all b/w because it costs a lot more to print color (Lulu doesn't do inserts -- it's all or nothing). If you check out the PDFs, I left blank pages by the winning stories (in case it makes a difference whether it's a recto or verso -- I know this is sort of designing backwards, rather than having the art first and then placing it). The trim is 6 x 9, and I was thinking we wouldn't mess with bleeds, but I can give it a shot if you have something in mind that works best as a bleed.

The cover can (and, I think, should) be color. That can be whatever you want ... I can lay type over it or you can incorporate the title into the illustration.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

Honestly, by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Jan 05, 2008 at 01:18:48 PM EST
it was your layout that got me interested in adding an illustration.

Nice work.

I'll probably get a chance to go over stuff this week at work.

thanks :) by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #18 Sat Jan 05, 2008 at 01:32:40 PM EST
I've seen a lot of book designs -- ranging from beautiful through serviceable-but-uninspired to pretty sucky -- but this is my first real attempt at doing one myself. I was just hoping to be north of "total crap."

I can't wait to see what you come up with for images.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

lol@mp3 version by fleece (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 05:12:04 PM EST
my australian accent would destroy the tone of my stories, i need a celebrity reader

I was envisioning by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Jan 08, 2008 at 01:46:45 AM EST
it would be something like blixco or littlestar reading people's stories in a sexy voice, rather than the authors. Celebrity Husites if you will. I don't have a good voice for my stories, either.

Anyway, despite it being in the lead for alternate formats, it's pretty much out of my hands to produce ;)

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

Attention 606 infidel by ana (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Jan 08, 2008 at 02:36:07 AM EST
We have some quasi-professional quality sound producers here, not to worry. With bumping by MNS.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

I do not doubt by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #22 Thu Jan 10, 2008 at 11:31:33 AM EST
that we have the skill to accomplish this at Husi. My only point is that none of these very talented people are me, and thus I will not be driving it -- unless anyone really wants me to boss them around, but even so, bossing around is not one of my core competencies :)

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM