Print Story Linkfarm!
By ana (Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 01:21:33 PM EST) WFC, WFC6, writing, post-mortem (all tags)
We got your WFC6 linkfarm action right here!

First, the call and voting story. And the upload site.

Now, the results, as of the time that the authors were automagically revealed:

Right now, there are a few more votes cast; but you can see for yourself by clicking the first link.

And an unordered list of post-mortem self-analyses:

And lastly, several almost-written story drafts that were not submitted:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled husi.

If it should turn out that I'm the winner, I suppose WFC7 might happen in October. Ideas for [a] how to get more peoplel to write; and [b] how to get more people to read (and vote); would be welcome. Everybody has a story to tell. Come tell it to us!

Meanwhile, there's a story contest the weekend of September 21 at Toasted Cheese, if you want something sooner (with the prospect of publication in their ezine if you place).

< My People are Strange | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Linkfarm! | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
idea by theantix (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 01:57:12 PM EST
Writing a fictional story takes a lot of specific skill that lots of people (like myself) don't possess.  However lots of us obviously can write blogs/diaries, which is why this site exists.

So why not a WFC that would let people write fiction in diary/blog format?  For example, the challenge could be to imagine yourself in the future after a life changing event, and write a series of blog/diary entries from the perspective of that future self.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.

Strangely, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 02:16:42 PM EST
how I write my fiction and how I write my diary entries varies little.

Very little.

Just, imagine you're not you.  Now write!
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

I've done that, by ana (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 02:24:47 PM EST
for a while now, writing a diary in the character of someone else. It's an interesting form of fiction, with recurring plotlets, but nobody minds if it doesn't really go anywhere.

But yeah, writing stories in the first person is not so very different from writing a diary about something that happened, not to real-life you, but to some other you.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

WFCs already allow that by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 03:31:13 PM EST
For WFC5, I almost explicitly noted that nonfiction was welcome (because the theme was a subject that people would tend to have personal experience to draw from, as opposed to, say, a post-apocalyptic world -- people write about food on this site all the time). But how I otherwise botched the framing of that WFC (in all the parameters that were not "food") is another matter.

I'd prefer to read WFC entries where a journal format was just one of the options, rather than the theme, but YMMV.

My own suggestions for the next WFC, logistics-wise:

• Let's run it for all of October, say Sept. 28-Oct. 29, if you can come up with a theme by then. I think the lull between WFC5 and WFC6 got people out of the groove of both writing and reading/voting, so maybe people who missed this round would like to get into the next one, while they're still thinking of it. The slightly longer time frame lets people warm up to the idea, work around RL commitments, etc.
  • I also wonder if the upload site problems we had this time affected participation ... outside of the regulars, maybe some people wanted to wait until others had entered before taking the plunge, just like no one wants to be the only person on the dancefloor. Hopefully that's solved and won't be a factor for the next one.
  • You can bill it as a NaNo warmup (the reading/voting could fit that description, too, inasfar as it might provide ideas that could be ripped off -- especially if the voting period spills into early Nov.).
  • You can remind people that entries may just get into a book, if Kellnerin ever gets off her ass and finishes the first one.
  • The voting period was a bit short this time, too. Open voting on a weekday and include at least a full weekend; maybe a reminder on the Friday before the weekend for those who were thinking, "I'll read these at home and vote."
  • I think of the people who did vote this round, a good number wrote reviews, which was cool. One of the best parts about the WFCs, for me, is to see the reactions people have to my stuff. It's low-risk writing practice but with a chance to get feedback (at least in the form of whether you inspired people to click your checkbox or not). Maybe that's a selling point for a mid-WFC reminder diary, rather than the main announcement.
And, ana, ahem.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
ahem. by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 03:43:27 PM EST
I have no idea what you're talking about. And we have always been at war with Eurasia.

More anon.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

i actually... by clock (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 05:16:22 PM EST
...had a story written.  then the upload site went dead.  by the time it came back up, i was having a baby.  i'd definitely play next time.  if i can keep the vomit and fecal material off of the lappy.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Mandatory toughbooks for all new daddies. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 12:42:03 AM EST
That's what I say.

Post it! by ana (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 03:18:38 AM EST
A couple other folks posted unofficial or incomplete entries. We'd like to read it.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

i just needed more time by fleece (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 12:47:24 AM EST
For WFC7 I will post a hand written letter to every participant. How can ppl actually benefit from this? I'm not sure, but hulver did it once so it's a copy cat thing i guess. And I'm not sending or receiving nearly enough hand-written content nowadays. Having said that, I just thought of a cool idea for WFC7. You have to hand write it and scan it in.

(Comment Deleted) by Phage (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 01:10:12 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by Phage

Linkfarm! | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback