Print Story WFC6 Post-Mortem
By R343L (Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 01:10:00 PM EST) (all tags)
So, I did a $FC finally. Only took me five, six years. insert nostalgic bit about how there used to be just programming fun challenges

So if it wasn't manifestly obvious before the handles were revealed, I wrote the story about escaping from the zombie hordes on a bicycle. It was a cheap premise, but involved roads and places so fit the requirements. I even added some death (other than zombies) for some easy tear-jerking (who kills a cat in a story anyway?) I then made it even cheaper by arranging the formatting such that suspense could be created not by my skill as a writer but by whitespace.

Note none of this was done intentionally for cheapness, but the premise seemed to demand straightforward and obvious ways of jerking the reader around. It seemed to have worked. The cat imagined is my cat. "I" am the bicyclist. And so forth. And as I have this huge phobia about zombies (coming from a father who let me watch the original Dawn of the Dead when I was like eight or nine), it was pretty easy to scare myself with my own story. But, humor makes it less scary. Note also that I regularly expose myself to zombies as therapy (by going to zombie movies primarily), so this is just more therapy. And because I had no idea how to write them, you'll note that I didn't put any direct fights with zombies in (just lots of running away), although it is certainly implied that the "heroine" had to shoot zombies pretty frequently. It probably worked better that way anyway to not tell the fights directly.

Compared to everyone else, I didn't really take this that seriously. But then, I was convinced into it about five minutes after I thought about it (on the first postponed Sunday due date, which was then extended). And finished it about an hour later (modulo the formatting which took me a bit bit more as I went down the path of clever javascript page turning and realized that just wasn't such a good idea).

Sadly this is probably the first "completed" story I've written since college, maybe high school. Once I got into math and computers, it seemed like the creative stuff went by the wayside. I have in the past written poetry and stories. At least one poem I wrote in high school I don't read now and laugh. I should probably start up again, but it always seems like such a bother when I can't get something down I like. Although I liked this, silly as it was.

< Books I read in 2003 | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
WFC6 Post-Mortem | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I like it. by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 01:22:30 PM EST
And a lot of the phobic, must-get-away feeling comes through loud and clear. Thanks for entering (and almost winning!).

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

thanks by R343L (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 01:42:23 PM EST
Next time!! Next time!! If I can come up with something clever again. :)

You should like this story. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 01:26:58 PM EST
It was well-written and entertaining - exactly the kinds of stories we need more of. I hope you continue to do the *FC thing, and I hope you continue to write creatively (or draw or take photographs or sing or whatever makes you happy).
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
thanks as well by R343L (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 01:42:54 PM EST
Lots of things (fortunately) make me happy. Although one of these days I'll have to sit down and write my "meaning of life angst" diary. :)

Well, at least *you* have a fucking plan. by ti dave (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 01:29:25 PM EST
Do any of you sheeple have a plan for when the fucking zombies arrive?

I sure as fuck hope so, dear reader, or you will join them in an massive ARMY OF THE DEAD. I'm gonna laugh when I see your brains being eaten on the half-shell.

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. --W.S. Burroughs

sadly I need to get some guns or something by R343L (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 01:44:52 PM EST
But getting them is such a trial in pacifist coastal california. Hoping to find a gun from a store? Seems really pushing it.

Fortunately by ti dave (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 06:07:27 PM EST
in the beginning, you'll be dealing with local pacifist zombies.

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.

Nicely done by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 03:11:48 PM EST
It wasn't obvious (to me) that you'd written it until after the authors were revealed, but in retrospect I don't know how I missed it. Anyway, great showing for your first WFC entry -- I wouldn't have guessed it was your first creative writing in a while.

I had a long period after high school of not writing any fiction -- and as a lit major, I didn't even have your excuse -- but ana somehow managed to fix that. Beware, for now ana has surely identified you as someone who should be writing more! Seriously, I hope you keep it up, and the *FCs are a great excuse to do stuff like this that you might not otherwise have done (and, like the name says, have some fun while you do it).

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM

*cackle* by ana (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 03:27:13 PM EST
n/t

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

thank you. :) by R343L (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 05:58:10 PM EST
I do write a lot just not fiction (unless attempting to not be too harsh with sales-droids counts as fiction) so at least the grammar and spelling hasn't fallen over.

And I guess I should get pulled into such things more often. And now that I think about it, I may have submitted a slug to a photo FC before. Hmm. Can't believe I forgot about that. I have no memory.

I really liked yours. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 03:56:28 PM EST
It really read like a found notebook. The formatting won me over on the second read through.

Very good stuff.