Print Story Buying An Artist
Art
By Driusan (Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 05:45:20 AM EST) (all tags)
How much does it cost to commission an artist to paint something, and how does one go about finding one?

I can pay in ramen and post-modernism and maybe cash.

I moved into a new apartment last weekend. My room is exterior facing, but has no window (other than a window into my roommate's room.) I don't think my landlord will support me in doing structural renovations to add one, though I haven't looked into it.

I would like to commission a painting of a window overlooking the view that would be there were there only a window, (this is the view, for reference. The picture is taken from the window in the room beside my room) but I don't know where to start.

< The cats are back together | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Buying An Artist | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
If I were you I'd go to Deviantart by komet (4.00 / 2) #1 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 06:07:00 AM EST
and post to the forums.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
I know people by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 07:27:42 AM EST
What style, size and price range are you thinking? Maybe I can hook you up.

Price range 1-200. by Driusan (4.00 / 0) #7 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 11:05:53 PM EST
Which I realize isn't all that much, but I'm slightly broke since I bought a ticket to SF last week and I can't afford much more on an impulsive art commission right now.

It should be done in the style of awesome, and size would be as big as I can get for that price, up to a maximum of average painting size, which I don't know the dimensions of off the top of my head.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Also by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 07:31:02 AM EST
I'd recommend taking a photo on a sunny day, as it'll give the artist more interesting lighting and colour to work with. Given the direction of the view, I'd guess morning light would work best.

And furthermore by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 07:34:15 AM EST
Are you stalking my workplace?

Maybe? by Driusan (4.00 / 0) #6 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 10:58:17 PM EST
If you work up the alleyway there, then I now live in the apartment right across the street from it. I've been wondering if that's where you work for a while since it fit the vague descriptions you've given.

I should also inform you that there was a gang of holligans who appeared to be up to no good there when I came home tonight. Parkdale is a little sketchy at 4am.

Vive le Montréal libre.

go to the local art school by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 11:11:46 AM EST
and post a notice on the bulletin board?

*claws at eyes* by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 05:03:38 PM EST
Let me get this straight.

You could commission a painting of any place in the world, and you're asking someone to paint a blighted urban hellscape complete with train tracks and dumpsters??!?!?!?!?!

Yes by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 05:30:01 PM EST
Consider it the legacy of the impressionists.

Vive le Montréal libre.
That's a pretty good idea. by Driusan (4.00 / 0) #11 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 05:32:13 PM EST
I'll use it as my backup plan.

Vive le Montréal libre.