When I got home from work I saw he hadn't eaten much, if anything. BG said he'd sicked up at least once but there was no food in it. Not good, but I figured if worse comes to worst, I was planning on bringing him in Saturday anyway. I went down to the bar in my building and had a couple beers while playing chess with the owner and a regular.
When I got back upstairs around 2:00a.m., there was another bit of runny sick. I called the hospital. "It's €60 extra for an emergency visit." Yeah, well they tack on that €60 for weekend visits, too. I got him in the carrier and took him in.
It looks like his disease is now progressing as well. He'll be on infusion this weekend and now I wait until Monday for more tests. Stelpa is already anæmic and has had too much blood taken for daily testing so no tests over the weekend, just continued treatment. She's reportedly doing much better, eating like a champ, gaining more weight, and things like her creatinine levels are so far down the staff are rather surprised.
While waiting for the blood test -- alone in the lab room with boy -- I took advantage of the opportunity presented me by a logy cat and an electric trimmer and managed to get rid of a few nasty clumps of fur on his leg which had turned into felt since he so often fights being brushed. Score! The results came back and the azotemia (build-up of nitrogen-bearing substances like urea and creatinine) has progressed. His breathing is way too fast and quiet (I borrowed the stethoscope), blood pressure too low, and both the anorexia and sicking up are extremely troublesome.
He'll be infused now, too. I was promised my pair of beasties would be placed next to each other but the view is blocked. Home care will require EPO shots 3x a week, running €30-45 per shot, per cat. There's a 30% chance they'll build antibodies to it. Despite my having been right about everything so far the chief of medicine there is "extremely reluctant" to attempt the use of anabolic steroids in order to deal with the anæmia by jump-starting their bone marrow. It can take eight weeks to kick in; the sooner an attempt is started, the sooner we'll know if have results. "There haven't been enough studies," sayeth the chief. Dude, we know what'll happen if they're not treated.
BG is now more upset that the two beasts aren't here than she ever was when they were driving her insane. The silence is deafening. I'm hoping they can finally come home on Tuesday.
|< So fucking predictable... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >|