Print Story As one door opens...
Working life
By anonimouse (Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 01:43:52 AM EST) (all tags)
...so does another one.

Anonimouse in a quandary.

I've received an offer of an extension at $ISP, but today I've also received interest from $BigBank. $BigBank will (presumably) be paying much higher rates, but I like working for $ISP, who are understanding about taking odd days off for legal issues on behalf of GG.

Bearing in mind $BigBank offers me a foot in the door of something I want to do, and possibly 25-75% more salary, should I leave a job I'm happy in?

< once in a while | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
As one door opens... | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The problem is that $big $banks in general by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 02:10:48 AM EST
Might be laying off lot of people in the next few months if the market turmoil continues. And you won't get much redundancy if you're a recent joiner...

I'm a cuntractor by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 02:22:47 AM EST
So I have no security anyway. As long as the 3 month placement was solid I would be ok.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
3 month contract? Hmmmm. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 05:33:42 AM EST
How long is the $ISP contract? Further cost/benefit analysis is required. The results may alter my previous answer...

I would talk to $bigbank by Phage (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 02:11:04 AM EST
And tell them exactly what you told us. If they want you, then you should be able negotiate terms. i.e. 'purchase' extra annual leave with some of that fat pay rise. At least two of my previous $megabank employers do that sort of flexible arrangements all the time.

Even if they go beserk and give you two fingers, you still have $happyispjob.

Take the $BigBank job. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 02:57:02 AM EST
and treat it like the $ISP job.

I've worked IT for $BigRegionalBank, for $GiantNationalBank and for $FuckingEnormousMultiNationalBank. They were all excellent gigs. In fact, I'd have worked for $GiantNationalBank (which is now $ProbablyBiggerThanFuckingEnormousMultiNationalBank) from 1986 'till now, and beyond, if it weren't for a relocation and my divorce hitting at the same time.

25-75% is nothing to balk at. by debacle (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 05:24:21 AM EST
And a foot in the door is worth more than two in the bush.

don't give him any ideas. by garlic (4.00 / 2) #8 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 10:52:56 AM EST

You say you're happy where you're at? by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 05:59:15 AM EST
How long do you think you'll remain content with the status quo?

Would taking the greener field lead to being more content down the road? If so, for a longer period of time than you can see your happiness lasting where you're at?

Cicero, The Republic
What does your penis tell you to do? by ti dave (4.00 / 3) #9 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 12:16:12 PM EST
Go with it, don't deviate from tradition.

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. --W.S. Burroughs

It tells me by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 03:18:33 AM EST
...to take the job where I can stay away from home without any questions asked.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL