Print Story Weekly Update
Cars
By BelatuCadros (Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 04:30:44 PM EST) car accident, last day of work, insurance companies blow (all tags)
What's happened since my car accident.

An update on my accident in short bullet points (cause I'm too tired to write full sentences)
  • The person who hit has claimed responsibility. Yay!
  • I had headaches for two days afterward.
  • Allstate offered me $100 for "pain & suffering".
  • That's fucking insulting.
  • My last day of work was today. Yay!
  • The immigration lawyers at my former employer say I can stay in the US until Sept 30th
  • I was able to extend my lease until Sept 30th
  • The initial damage has been estimated at $8000.
  • Crappy cell phone pics available at http://www.birnie.net/gallery/main.php/v/2007_08_31/
  • Please be gentle, it's an old pentium.
  • The moving of everything else will still happen on Sept 12th
  • The MINI should be fixed Sept 20th.
  • I'll hopefully start the trip home soon after.
  • I will be very bored.
< Plotted Course | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Weekly Update | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I was involved in a car accident by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 08:01:32 PM EST
(rear ended) a few years ago and the insurance company offered me $700 for pain and suffering.

Differences:

$100 seems pretty low.

"It means more if you have to earn it, even if it's by doing something as simple as eating a meal." Kellnerin
Any lingering effects from the accident? by BelatuCadros (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 10:29:20 AM EST
I only ask 'cause Canadian health care my consider any injuries from this as a pre-existing condition.

No long term side effects. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 01:45:29 PM EST
I was paranoid that I'd get rear-ended again for the next 6 months. I kept my eyes on the rear view at every stop.

I'm glad I went to the hospital - they x-rayed and fussed to make sure I was ok. The painkillers that were prescribed were pretty good.

That paranoia is the worst. by BelatuCadros (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 03:06:50 PM EST
I'm glad to hear that you have no lingering effects. My Mom's a nurse, so I'm hearing all the horror stories right now.

Well, you've grown up with her, by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 05:37:04 PM EST
hopefully you are immune to her horror stories.

Seriously, you should look into new auto insurance. $100 seems ridiculously low.

get all the medical treatment you can for injury by Flapdoodle (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 08:31:06 PM EST
It is the best thing you can do for yourself and your health.

And your final settlement from the insurance company will be calculated as a multiple of your medical expenses. You should also tally lost wages from the initial injury and time spend getting medical treatment. You can claim compensation for these as well.

So visit your doctor, tell what happened, and take every diagnostic test/treatment that you and your doctor can justify: Medical, x-ray, MRI, physical therapy, chiropractic. If you still suffer pain, keep getting treatment until you feel well.

The low ball initial settlement offer is common. You can settle it yourself with research on the Internet, writing letters, and negotiating. Or you can retain a lawyer. Keep good records and go get treated. And don't be in a hurry to settle.

I have an appointment monday... by BelatuCadros (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 10:25:39 AM EST
...to have my neck, back and shoulders checked out.

I have had to make major changes in my plans to move, I am keeping all the receipts. I will try to claim all of those costs.

Thanks for all the advice.

That sucks by TurboThy (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 06:42:31 AM EST
Unrelated question: How do you mark a birnie, and what is it?
__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
Apparrently.... by BelatuCadros (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 10:13:35 AM EST
...you mark a birnie by hitting a birnie while they are driving with your vehicle. It's the modern version of the game tag.

Weekly Update | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback